• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the Norte at Biarritz Airport

Eddiew

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino francais 2023
I am currently planning for the Camino del Norte and considering Biarritz Airport as my start point and and walking to Irun. I have previously done the Camino Frances so perhaps I am being a little adventurous on this occasion. I am finding it difficult to get a downloadable map (for android phone) for this part of the route. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice on this please.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Excellent idea to start from Biarritz. That's where I started the Norte last year.
I used the Gronze map app, but you do need an internet connection to use the maps.

You can also use mapy.cz. You can download its maps for offline use. The Camino route is marked by a dark blue line, and you can see that it passes right by the airport.

1000032890.jpg

For accommodation information I used Gronze.

Truthfully I would take the bus to Biarritz train station as there is a very busy road section with no footpath from airport roundabout for a five hundred metres until the next roundabout at Campanile hotel.
But if you want to do it, walk main road until the Campanile hotel then leave main road onto side streets to reach Biarritz train station. Veer up to main road junction from there and under the viaduct there are camino arrows.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
There is a marked path there by the airport that heads towards France, but I chose walking the quieter city streets towards Biarritz first, then simply following the coast southward until I intersected the official path. This was safer and much more enjoyable then the official path and didn’t add that many kms

I spent the night in Bayonne, then took the train to Biarritz and a bus to the lighthouse because I thought that would be a fitting place to start my Camino.
My comment was more a safety one than a preferred start point.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back