• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Squeezing the last bit of juice out of a phone battery

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
Some of you may be aware of this but it was new to me.

While sorting out a problem one of my brothers had with his mobile phone I came upon this feature - it may come in handy in some circumstances - I was thinking of the poor lad who has disappeared in Spain, last heard of with a low phone battery.

My phone is an Android but no doubt Windows and Apple phones have a similar feature.

Swipe the home screen down twice and you should see this:

Touch and hold "Power saving" and you get this

Notice I have 1 day 9 hours of battery life left? Switch "Power saving" to off
Now go to the bottom of the screen and switch on "Limit apps and Home screen"
I now have THREE days and 12 hours of battery life left!

Switch Power save back on and go to the Home Screen:

You now have a "dumber phone" but can still call and send messages though the phone's abilities will be scaled back.

Reverse these steps to go back to your normal settings.

If you think you might find this useful it might be a good idea to try it before you NEED it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If I remember rightly,I tested one my phones not many years ago.And on battery saver I could get 17 days.

Another top tip - Switch off bluetooth and wifi as they continually use power in the background searching for a connection that is not there.

Obviously, thats not a daily tip to save battery as its impractical when at home. But, as @Jeff Crawley mentions above, sometimes you do need to squeeze out that last bit of juice

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On an iPhone you can switch to “low power mode” under Battery but when your phone is fully charged again it will automatically turn off so you have to remember to switch it back.
Lowering your screen brightness will also help.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Also be very aware that after say 4 years there will be a huge difference by paying $60 to have a new battery fitted.

Have Android:
Switch to middle battery saver mode
Use app to switch off apps that run in the background (I use AVG Cleaner)
When walking, switch to Fly mode, you are not expecting calls, are you...?
Arrange w home base to contact at specific hours where you open for contact.

Most read last week in this forum