Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Son and friend need a tent ASAP arriving Porto

BevKieransMum

Time of past OR future Camino
Current Camino
They both were only taking hand luggage and left their tents behind this morning as they couldn't take tent poles etc in the cabin. Their plane lands soon. Both are on a very tight budget. Where would be the best place near the airport to buy or hire tents. Awoke to panic via text and trying to help from UK.
Any ideas? Be so grateful.
Beverley

A selection of Camino Jewellery
First, don't panic. If they can set off on such an adventure, they will survive. Next: Decathlon.
Next, word of mouth - let them ask other pilgrims what they might suggest.
Next, send them a few bob so they can afford the tent.
Then have a cup of tea.
They will be fine.
Words from an elderly woman.
😇

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
They both were only taking hand luggage and left their tents behind this morning as they couldn't take tent poles etc in the cabin. Their plane lands soon. Both are on a very tight budget. Where would be the best place near the airport to buy or hire tents. Awoke to panic via text and trying to help from UK.
Beverley
do you mean that they were into the allowed weight and size for the hand baggage BUT they refused to take the poles??

Can you please tell me which airline were they flying? I never heard about this limitation.

Thanks for the information... and sorry about the inconvenience. I am sure they will find something good at Decathlon for a few bucks: https://maps.app.goo.gl/kpCE6zdQmC1McdKH7

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Beverley
A functional tent will cost more than multiple nights in an albergue.

I have been thinking about doing the Camino with a tent, but one thing is holding me back: where do I wash up? And are there enough authorized free or paid campsites along each route?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
It’s not legal in Portugal or Spain to camp wild.
But it’s also not even necessary if you are on a low budget.
Staying in albergues,is probably cheaper and the albergues are on the Camino, campingsites usually are not.

I met a Scottish family on the Camino Portugues who send their tent etc to Santiago because it was much more convenient (less weight and no fuss to set your camp up) and cheap to stay in an albergue.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
do you mean that they were into the allowed weight and size for the hand baggage BUT they refused to take the poles??

Can you please tell me which airline were they flying? I never heard about this limitation.

Thanks for the information... and sorry about the inconvenience. I am sure they will find something good at Decathlon for a few bucks: https://maps.app.goo.gl/kpCE6zdQmC1McdKH7
Wouldn't have thought you could take tent poles on a pane as you're mostly not allowed to take walking poles.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was thinking the same. And there's no guarantee that they will find places to pitch a tent.
I walked via the Littoral and can't think there were places to camp and soo hot now!

It’s hot, it’s illegal to wild camp, legal campsites are not that cheap, and they don’t currently have a tent. This may be the time to advise them to stay in albergues versus camping.

Beverley
And?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Actually, she said they weren't allowed to take the tent poles in the cabin.

It’s hot, it’s illegal to wild camp, legal campsites are not that cheap, and they don’t currently have a tent. This may be the time to advise them to stay in albergues versus camping.
Agree but if their budget is super tight, they may decide to take their chances by "stealth camping" in rural area with few or no people around. I saw many areas on the Coastal route in April (I went as far as Caminha then crossed over to Central). On the central, starting with Valenca), I don't really recall but I suspect there are also some isolated places.
It's not very common on the Camino but occasionally done, usually by young, on a very struck budget, and occasionally, as a necessity when someone brings a dog. I met one nice kid who only brought some food and 20 Euros to do the Frances (!!!). Besides donativas, and charity, I think he sometimes just laid down to sleep.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions. Hubby is thinking...
Greetings from Portugal, We are currently in the town of Santarem. We have met some wonderful folks and we have a question. Does anyone know if there is a way to transport backpacks from here to...
We are walking the Camino Portuguese today and the fires outside of Albergaría a Velha forced us to evacuate to Sao Joao da Madeira. I am trying to find the best resource to check on our path to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back