This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Sleeping gear for VdlP

Megwalks

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata 2024
Hello Pilgrims!

Getting ready to walk the Via de la Plata starting early November — doing the whole thing from Sevilla and then turning onto the Sanabres to get to Santiago sometime in the second week of December. Looking for tips on sleeping gear. I keep reading about how albergues north of Salamanca tend to be variably unheated and don’t always have blankets…is a lightweight sleeping bag enough or should I bring a sleeping liner to go with it? Part of me thinks that is overkill (and obviously extra weight to carry) but I also hate being cold at night! Thoughts/tips? Thanks in advance!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
It's many years since I walked this route. April/May I remember sleeping in all my clothes one night incl my rain jacket it was so cold. Some of the buildings are stone. I have an ultralight down hugger and will carry it now just in case. I'll never be walking in summer. If you have plenty of layers/merino you might be ok, and a Puffa jacket?

A silk liner and sleeping bag is not overkill. It will be hit or miss as far as heating is concerned especially since energy costs have skyrocketed since I walked the route in the winter (February 2014). There were less than a handful pilgrims and often there were only 2 of us in an albergue.

Some albergues had electric rolling radiators which worked adequately but there is no guarantee.

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.

Most read last week in this forum