• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag in September

CaminanteKevin

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
We are walking from Sarria to Santiago the third week of September. Wondering if we need a proper sleeping bag or if a sleeping bag liner will be enough. Any thoughts?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do you sleep warm or cold?
Truthfully I would chance just going with a liner - but you have a luxury with such a short camino you can have a good idea of the weather before you go it would be possible to find an extra layer to adapt if it was to be unseasonably cold.

You will likely be ok with just a liner, but of course it's never outside the realms of possibility of a cold snap in today's confused climate. I started my Camino end of September last year and it was HOT for the first few weeks. You can likely judge it just before you leave perhaps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I hate to be the naysayer here, but whether you need a sleeping bag or not doesn’t have anything to do with whether any of us would need a sleeping bag. We can only tell you whether we would need a bag, but that doesn’t really help you answer the question about you. I always take a lightweight sleeping bag, and I always use it, even though I almost always walk in April, May, or June. This issue is one of my soapboxes, so please excuse me for beating the dead horse, but here is my standard answer to this frequent question.

I think the "should I take a sleeping bag" question is the same as the "what are the best hiking boots" or "which backpack should I use" questions. This is a question that no one else can answer for you because it depends exclusively on your own body. I don't doubt that all of the posters have accurately reported on what feels good for them in those conditions, but they have their own unique internal heating and cooling systems. I always take a lightweight sleeping bag (850 grams), even last year arriving in Santiago in late July. But then I'm what the Spanish call "friolera", someone who gets cold easily. Only you know if that describes you too. If you're the one who always pulls out a sweater to warm up in summer air conditioning, or who needs extra layers when sitting around in the winter, then you will probably be very happy with the decision to carry a sleeping bag. If you sweat a lot and run around the house in shirt sleeves in winter, then you are likely to be fine with something much less.

There is also a gender difference here — women run colder than men, in general, but of course other factors are at play like weight, blood circulation, etc.

It’s not the end of the world of course — if you don’t take one and get cold, you can add layers or hope for blankets (though I think the number of places with blankets is decreasing). Buen camino!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
After @peregrina2000's response, with which I wholeheartedly agree, I would only add that I have always carried a sleeping bag and liner. Even in mid-Jun, I have used them, albeit at that time the bag was more often used as a quilt. Her comments on resilience are worth noting. I suspect that some people who advocate going without a bag are still tough enough to sleep on bare rock in the snow. I'm not!

We are walking from Sarria to Santiago the third week of September. Wondering if we need a proper sleeping bag or if a sleeping bag liner will be enough. Any thoughts?
I agree with @peregrina2000 . But would add I always carry a light, synthetic (or washable down) bag - if it’s warmer I can sleep with it unzipped, or if colder buried deep inside. I also spray the outside (only the outside) with permethrin as an added layer against bed bugs.

Remember, the Camino is not a stay at a luxury, resort spa. There will be times when you’re tired, or hot, or cold, or hungry, or soaked wet. But that’s part of the experience - finding and unleashing your strength, tenacity, and resilience! Buen Camino!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I have always taken my silk sleep sack plus tiny down blanket on Camino - until this year (May/June), when I decided to chance it and leave the blanket at home. The last couple of years I found myself tempted by private rooms about a third of the time, and when I was in albergues blankets were usually provided, so it was a calculated risk. I ended up in two albergues without blankets, and was a little cold despite wearing all of my layers, including outerwear. I will probably make the same decision next Camino (depending on season) to save the weight.

I never use albergue blankets due to a possible bedbug issue. By the same token, I am always suspect of private rooms on the CF as I know a stream of pilgrims are coming through.

My only bedbug issue since 2016 was last December in the very low pilgrim season when a dorm room of my female university students woke up with bedbugs. Everyone got the heatvtreatment and things went well from there.

Still, I prefer to have my comfy 1 lb down bag which can be easily heat treated than use an albergue blanket that is seldom washed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.