• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SIM Card and ATM fees

Joshaa371

Time of past OR future Camino
July 4th 2024
Hey everyone, wondering what everyone does for cell service while on the Camino. I am coming from the US and last time I was in EU I got a free mobile plan for cheap but cancelling the plan was a hassle anyone have any recommendations?

Also want to know what everyone does to minimize foreign transaction/ATM fees if there is some advice out there on that, trying to spend minimal and know currency exchange can cost some.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Also want to know what everyone does to minimize foreign transaction/ATM fees if there is some advice out there on that
I have a Charles Schwab checking account which has no fees, no minimums, no foreign transaction fees and refunds all ATM fees.

Just had good results with Airalo ESIM (you choose your region and your GB limit, it's refillable and less trouble than signing up for a cell plan). I bought the EU region to cover time I would spend in France, Spain and Portugal. If you can use an ESIM in your phone, look into this.

I found also that more and more frequently I used my TAP electronic payment (definitely a post CoViD change) and only took out a very limited amount of cash this time (400 euros for 5 weeks and I came home with 75 euros in cash in my pocket).

I think folks coming from the US can do really well on Charles Schwab... and when you need to, use electronic payment (just make sure you choose "euros" for your currency so that you get the best exchange rate).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use Holafly for an eSiM card on my phone. It seems to have worked well.
I don’t stress about foreign transaction fees. I carry about €200 cash with me, refill as needed. Only refill at ATMs attached directly to a bank, just in case. For the same reason, try to refill Monday - Friday, when the bank is open.
When you use your card to pay for things, pay in euros, not dollars, when given a choice.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We have found, coming from the US and traveling 2-3 months at a time overseas, that T-Mobile is the least hassle and best plan for us. It has unlimited data and unlimited texting. Call prices are about the same as other major US plans. We have tried SIM cards, but found them difficult to set up and use. As one would expect, customer assistance for the SIM cards was usually in another language. This may be different now, as we haven't even tried SIM cards in a few years. Keep in mind, if you want to use SIM cards or just switch cell providers and still use your current phone, your phone will need to be a universal phone or your current carrier will need to unlock it. Again, many years ago, when we tired to have an ATT phone unlocked, they would only unlock certain features. So if you're planning to use SIM cards make sure you check with your current carrier to see if you can have your phone unlocked before you go overseas. We now only buy universal phones. I believe this quirk is only true of US phones.

Bon Camino.

Many credit/debit cards have no foreign transaction fees. My Citibank Costco Visa is one such example.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Our Capital One debit and credit cards don't charge fees.

For phone service (calls and data), we always get an inexpensive pay-as-you go 30-day SIM from Vodafone. If you need it for longer than 30 days you can renew it at ATMs or grocery stores or tobacco kiosks.

For texting, use Whats App.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, wondering what everyone does for cell service while on the Camino. I am coming from the US and last time I was in EU I got a free mobile plan for cheap but cancelling the plan was a hassle anyone have any recommendations?

Also want to know what everyone does to minimize foreign transaction/ATM fees if there is some advice out there on that, trying to spend minimal and know currency exchange can cost some.
We use the Wise card when we travel. It has some of the lowest fees. Also, it is what the tour guides use in our Wheel and Anchor travel company.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small...
Hi, this might be a strange question but just wandering how much cash should you bring with you on the Camino?? Thanks
Why do they put the kilometer markers where they do, for example 301.1 km, and as 300km was over an hours walk away, are these people messing with my mind
If you have given thought to begin or end your Camino in Barcelona--Tourist taxes and a ban on Short Term Rentals...
Dont question the why.. The reasons are a million or more than the stars in the sky Its simply you were needed"there" at that point in time and place Fate and destiny Shrug and sigh Whats it all...
Hey everyone, wondering what everyone does for cell service while on the Camino. I am coming from the US and last time I was in EU I got a free mobile plan for cheap but cancelling the plan was a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.