• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I wait - Trains schedules from Madrid to Santiago

WildandFound

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024 - October 2024 (Frances)
Hi All! My first post!

I'm heading out to SJPP to hike the Frances route in August. I have 3 people joining me in O Cebreiro on September 22. I'm trying to get them situated and finally got them organized to book trains. I'm only seeing 4 options on September 21, however the week before there are many more. Basically trying to avoid taking a 7pm train, as they get in at 11 in the morning.

Should they be booking that last 7:00pm train on September 21 to secure a seat (others seem to be full), or should they wait a week with the expectation that more options will populate?

I've told them that they may want to book at a flexible rate so they can maybe switch if a train is added.

Any experienced advice would be super.

Thanks!
Erin

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Train from where to where? There’s definitely no railway station in O Cebreiro. Bus from Lugo to Predrafita maybe or a taxi from (?)

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Train from where to where? There’s definitely no railway station in O Cebreiro. Bus from Lugo to Predrafita maybe or a taxi from (?)
I'm looking at Madrid to Santiago de Compostela trains on September 21. They're taking a morning Alsa Bus to Pedrafita do Cebreiro on September 22.

Apologies if my question feels like a duplication of so many others. Just started to panic a bit when I realized trains were booked up. I don't want them to get squeezed out of train availability on the 21st.

Thanks!
Erin

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
They won't be booked up yet for that date - RENFE haven't started taking booking for those trains yet. You need to wait until closer to the date for the reservations to become available. Occasionally less than a month from the travel date. Notoriously unpredictable.
Okay. Thank you for this validation!

I think you're misreading the schedule. If you go to the Renfe website, it says that there's a train at 7:18PM for that date, which arrives at 10:30 PM, i.e. not the following morning, It also says that other trains for that date are not available at this time -- meaning they will go on sale later: https://venta.renfe.com/vol/buscarTrenEnlaces.do?c=_N5Wg

If you're nervous about getting a ticket at all, you could spend an extra few euros per ticket and buy seats now that can be exchanged for others later (though the price per seat will probably be higher),.

I think you're misreading the schedule. If you go to the Renfe website, it says that there's a train at 7:18PM for that date, which arrives at 10:30 PM, i.e. not the following morning, It also says that other trains for that date are not available at this time -- meaning they will go on sale later: https://venta.renfe.com/vol/buscarTrenEnlaces.do?c=_N5Wg

If you're nervous about getting a ticket at all, you could spend an extra few euros per ticket and buy seats now that can be exchanged for others later (though the price per seat will probably be higher),.
Thank you! I've totally missed that. I'm not sure why I've not seen the page, with the other options with that note. Ugh. Sorry!!! (I'm Canadian, I apologize a lot!) That's a relief though. Thanks again!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hi All! My first post!

I'm heading out to SJPP to hike the Frances route in August. I have 3 people joining me in O Cebreiro on September 22. I'm trying to get them situated and finally got them organized to book trains. I'm only seeing 4 options on September 21, however the week before there are many more. Basically trying to avoid taking a 7pm train, as they get in at 11 in the morning.

Should they be booking that last 7:00pm train on September 21 to secure a seat (others seem to be full), or should they wait a week with the expectation that more options will populate?

I've told them that they may want to book at a flexible rate so they can maybe switch if a train is added.

Any experienced advice would be super.

Thanks!
Erin
take the alsa from madrid to piedrafita, then taxi or walk up the hill. makes no sense to go all the way to santiago to take a bus back (+3 hours to piedrafita from santiago)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm looking at Madrid to Santiago de Compostela trains on September 21. They're taking a morning Alsa Bus to Pedrafita do Cebreiro on September 22.

Apologies if my question feels like a duplication of so many others. Just started to panic a bit when I realized trains were booked up. I don't want them to get squeezed out of train availability on the 21st.

Thanks!
Erin
really most trains on 21th 09 are full this was the only one you can book via trainline (now dont know what isin onehour)

Attachments

• hc_20634.jpg
    hc_20634.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I'm currently on the Ingles, in Neda, & thought I would post with the state of play. 1stly , if your flying into A Coruna, & starting at Ferrol, it's an easy transfer. I got a bus from the...
I’m trying to find the easiest way to get to Bayonne via train from Charles de Gaul airport. I arrive in Paris at 7:30 AM. October 21. Need to be at SJDP by evening. Would you recommend I get...
Hola! Mañana, viernes 30 de agosto, llego a Pamplona a las 19:40h y me gustaría coger un taxi hasta Roncesvalles. ¿Hay alguien interesado en compartirlo?
There are no trains at all available to book Madrid to sarria in October- we have booked to walk at Jean pied de port to pamplona, and then travelling by train to meet to do sarria to pamplona...
Good evening fellow pilgrims. Does anyone on the ground along Norte (Oviedo) know the status of Renfe rail service from Oviedo to Aviles? I've been looking at train schedule options on Oct 8 and...
My husband and I will begin our first Camino in three weeks. To accommodate the time we have available, we would like to start in Rates. We are thinking we could take the train from Porto to Povoa...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back