This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Shortest section between Camino del Norte and Primitivo.

staucher

Camino junky
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Via de la Plata
Portuguese
Primitivo
I will be walking the Camino del Norte, starting in Bilbao in early September. Once I reach Villaviciosa just shy of Gijon, I know that there's a point where you have the option to continue on the Norte or to head towards Oviedo and walk the Primitivo, ending at Melide and then following on the frances from there. I have walked the Primitivo before and loved it. The primitivo is one of my favorite caminos, but then I would miss the coast of northern Spain from Gijon to Ribadeo.....Those of you with experience of walking both ways, which would you recommend? As for that section between Villaviciosa and Oviedo, how many km is that? I suspect that it's more than 30 km.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Since you haven't walked the last part of the Norte I recommend that rather than repeating the Primitivo. There are some lovely beach areas before you turn inland, and the inland parts are very nice too.
Yeah, that's right. I will continue on the norte to Arzua and then on to Santiago. That albergue at the monasterio de Sobrado dos Monxes should be great.

If you rejoin the CF at Arzua, you are missing the last part of the Norte! There is a way-marked route that continues all the way to the Santiago airport, merging with the CF just before Llavacola.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That albergue at the monasterio de Sobrado dos Monxes should be great.
It is.
But before entering you must deserve it: there can be many pilgrims waiting.

I would Carry on the Norte lots to see and experience which you haven’t already! I started Le Puy de Valay then joined Norte after Roncesvalles as I’d done the French already and also the Primitivo.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm in "Way tooo preliminary" planning for CdN but one thing I know is that I do want to detour to Oviedo.
So... whats the best way to accomplish that? get off dN in El Calero (--> Oviedo -->) and then emerge back in Trasona?

I'm in "Way tooo preliminary" planning for CdN but one thing I know is that I do want to detour to Oviedo.
So... whats the best way to accomplish that? get off dN in El Calero (--> Oviedo -->) and then emerge back in Trasona?
You can do these stages described in Gronze. You basically drop down to Oviedo from Villaviciosa as if you were going to do the Primitivo, then walk from Oviedo to Avilés.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you both - I need to start using Gronze more often!
I always use Gronze as a starting point when researching routes and possibilities. Map.cz and Godgle Earth and Maps are all useful for cross referencing elevations and identifying off-track accommodations and points of interest that might have escaped the notice or interest of the guide writers. Depending on the intended route I might spend a bit of time on Oz Clarke’s wine atlas or Hugh Johnson’s pocket guide. I’ll also check out https://www.megalithic.co.uk/index.php in case there’s something that might be of interest to me that doesn’t involve Orujo. But Gronze is a good starting point for any venture on Camino. After which this forum will be here to enhance your confusion

Thank you both - I need to start using Gronze more often!

They released an app which I used this year on Vdlp you need 3g to then connect to webpage but it gives you gps location offline and the route, it’s my go to info for Accommodation while walking, so on the fly you can check how far to next town with list of accommodation link up etapas for eg short day 16-20km but next Albergue is another 8 km and start splitting etapas ie 3-20km days into 2-30kms days ps. the app takes a few days to get used to and clicking on info tab takes you to gronze website

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
OK so you are saying Gronze has an App now?
I got 5G.... hmmm... might drop though when I am in Europe (T-Mobile)

I walked the first half of the Norte, then turned at Villaviciosa and walked to Oviedo where I continued on the Primitivo.
Last spring I returned to Oviedo because I enjoy spending time in that city. I then walked north to Aviles, before turning west to finish the 2nd half of the Norte.

Most read last week in this forum