• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoelaces

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Upon receiving my newest pair of Brooks Ghost, decided I disliked the shoelace colour so switched them out with the laces of my old pair. A small miracle of modern life, shoelaces usually don’t wear out. When I was a kid, the junk drawer always held a spare pairs of different lengths, to be used when tying a knot made the old ones too short. But I don’t see them on Camino packing lists…

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I usually have at least one spare lace in my pack. A complete pair if I am feeling especially organised. I find they come in handy for other purposes than just keeping my shoes on my feet. I've occasionally travelled with only cabin baggage (so no poles) then bought wooden broom handles from a ferreteria or China bazaar on arrival. A bootlace tied in a loop and fixed to the end of the handle makes a good wrist strap. Cheap, effective, easily identified in the albergue pole bucket, and so far no one has nicked them. :cool:

20240804_152556.jpg
I've been known to incorporate a spare shoelace into my walking sticks, too.. though I don't recall ever needing one.

I only remember shoe laces ever rotting and snapping from when I was a kid.. wet winters and stomping in puddles.

I really have too much time on my hands today, I should get out walking...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For some reason I can't fathom, I'm very hard on shoelaces, so I'm bringing an extra pair. As Bradypus mentions, they're kinda like having some paracord in your pack.

Dual-purpose is good!

Buen Camino.

For some reason I can't fathom, I'm very hard on shoelaces, so I'm bringing an extra pair. As Bradypus mentions, they're kinda like having some paracord in your pack.

Dual-purpose is good!

Buen Camino.
I took a small roll of paracord, other than it can be used to replace boot laces i found it came in usefull as washing line, for bag repairs and as a cord handle wrap when i had to make a walking stick out of a small branch after lending one of mine to a pilgrim who was struggling

Upon receiving my newest pair of Brooks Ghost, decided I disliked the shoelace colour so switched them out with the laces of my old pair. A small miracle of modern life, shoelaces usually don’t wear out. When I was a kid, the junk drawer always held a spare pairs of different lengths, to be used when tying a knot made the old ones too short. But I don’t see them on Camino packing lists…
5-10m of Paracord - has multiple uses (washing line, pack strap repair etc) including short-term spare laces.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I took a small roll of paracord, other than it can be used to replace boot laces i found it came in usefull as washing line, for bag repairs and as a cord handle wrap when i had to make a walking stick out of a small branch after lending one of mine to a pilgrim who was struggling
Agreed wholeheartedly

I always buy red shoelaces for my boots, and then use the bootlaces that came with the boots to tie up my sleeping bag. So, always have an extra pair and I don't have to struggle with getting my bag into that tiny stuff sack. Makes getting ready in the morning that much faster.
Have never needed a clothesline in 6 Caminos, but you never know. They are there if needed.

My shoelaces typically well out-last my shoes nowadays. My trail runners are generally only good for approximately a thousand ks, my old leather boots did many times that. Mind you they did get resoled three times, I replaced the laces multiple times. I used to carry spare laces, no longer.
I do carry a 6m washing line, it's been used on many, many occasions. The odd hotel room obviously but also Albergues when their line was full. I don't do early starts!
Also got used once to haul a fellow pilgrims pack up a bank when it rolled off during a break. He barely managed to climb back up the bank without his pack, would definitely have been a struggle with.
Don't think my shoelaces would have quite reached!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I bought and use Xpand laces (available on Amazon). They are no-tie laces made of an elastic type material that automatically expand and contract when putting on your shoes. They come in a ton of different colours. Total game changer IMO.

I bou a 10 metre (33 feet) roll of cord of a similar thickness to my regular walking shoe laces. I unrolled three one metre lengths which could then double as spare laces or for tying wet clothes to the back of my backpack.

Reached Sarria last year and went in search of laces. Found them at
Caminoteca (?). Have the leftover one in pack for the Norte in a few weeks. Didn’t think to use the paracord that was on hand. Now double prepared.

I always duct tape a lip balm to a shoelace and wear it around my neck. I learned this from a UK guy in 2004 on a Kilimanjaro trip. He wore the lip balm necklace all the time. He used a second shoelace to string a role of toilet paper around his neck. This necklace was only worn while in camp. I have not adopted this second practice but I certainly see the practicality of making sure your TP is secure in the challenging hygiene circumstances common while trekking.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Before I switched to hiking sandals for the Camino I always had problems with my shoelaces becoming untied, no matter how I tied them, until I discovered "bubble laces."

These stay tied all day for me, and lasted for my entire Camino.

New Balance calls their bubble laces Surelace.

Screenshot 2024-08-11 204032.png

Most read last week in this forum

Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
I'm looking to buy a sleeping bag for my next Camino, but since I'm only 1.5m tall (5 feet), I’d prefer not to go with a standard-sized one. I don't want to feel like I’m swimming in it, and the...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back