• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shipping bike from Santiago de Compostela to the UK

TommyMcF

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Hello everyone! Does anyone have recent experience of arranging to post a bike back to the UK at the end of your pilgrimage?

I've been struggling to find clear information online
- The post office says that it's 'paq bicicleta' is not available to the UK but that I can ask in the post office in person. This looks promising but I'd rather be clear on how to get my bike home before I take it to Spain
- Other companies that say they transport bikes either don't ship to the UK unless you sign up for a comprehensive tourist package / or they havent answered my emails

Not sure if customs paperwork has made this more difficult since Brexit?

Does anyone have any advice or experiences?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello everyone! Does anyone have recent experience of arranging to post a bike back to the UK at the end of your pilgrimage?

I've been struggling to find clear information online
- The post office says that it's 'paq bicicleta' is not available to the UK but that I can ask in the post office in person. This looks promising but I'd rather be clear on how to get my bike home before I take it to Spain
- Other companies that say they transport bikes either don't ship to the UK unless you sign up for a comprehensive tourist package / or they havent answered my emails

Not sure if customs paperwork has made this more difficult since Brexit?

Does anyone have any advice or experiences?

Thank you
I would ask at the post office. They ship a lot of bikes, not sure about the UK... but ask there.

It would be an importation of the bike to the UK, so the customs issues (if any) will be on the UK side.. not in Spain. Ask at correos.

If this does not go anywhere, then I would ask at "Mailboxes ETC" in Santiago (search google maps). They ship with private shippers. It will be expensive, but they should be able to help as well.

Here in our office, we do ship a lot of things... but not bikes. Maybe in the future... looking at the price list Correos offers for shipping bikes, we can't even get close on price, so we don't do it...

Good luck!
Ivar

I don't understand why you don't just fly back with your bike in a box.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I would ask at the post office. They ship a lot of bikes, not sure about the UK... but ask there.

It would be an importation of the bike to the UK, so the customs issues (if any) will be on the UK side.. not in Spain. Ask at correos.

If this does not go anywhere, then I would ask at "Mailboxes ETC" in Santiago (search google maps). They ship with private shippers. It will be expensive, but they should be able to help as well.

Here in our office, we do ship a lot of things... but not bikes. Maybe in the future... looking at the price list Correos offers for shipping bikes, we can't even get close on price, so we don't do it...

Good luck!
Ivar
Thank you Ivar, I appreciate your response.

I'm hoping to clarify what is possible before I travel, but the post office in Santiago will be my first stop if I am still unsure when I get there

Good luck!
Ivar
Thank you Ivar, I appreciate your response.

I'm hoping to clarify what is possible before I travel, but the post office in Santiago will be my first stop if I am still unsure when I get tbere
I don't understand why you don't just fly back with your bike in a box.
There are no direct flights from Santiago to Scotland, and no way of navigating the trip home without booking 2 flights and an overnight stay in London.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I have previously shipped a bike back to the UK from Correos in SdC BB (before Brexit). It was a drop-and-run service which was very good as they took it apart (if you wanted them to) and would box and send. Technically you can go to the Correos office, purchase the bike box, pack it yourself, fill the customs declaration and then post it from there at whatever rate they will charge - but it won't be the paq bicicleta service. Just normal mail. Just checked the Correos website. A Correos bike box is 150*30*90 but the maximum they will send through normal mail is maximum length of 120 cm

Here's someone I saw at Santander port.

Attachments

• IMG_3650.JPEG
    IMG_3650.JPEG
    4.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Travelling by bike vs travelling with a bike. The first is cheap but the second can be expensive. Flying with your bike will nearly always be the cheapest option, presumably you're travelling to Spain with your bike so why not return the same way? Shipley and Sendbike seem to be quoting £200 - £300, the big shipping companies (DHL, MRW etc) maybe cheaper. Not sure Correos will deliver to the UK, if they do then it would be the simplest option from Santiago. If you're worried about direct vs indirect flights then if its a single booking there should be no problem. Or use the coastal train to get you and bike to a more suitable airport. Final suggestion is look on the UK bike touring websites for answers. Good luck.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Thanks for the responses on this. I have my plans resolved so I don't need any more advice.

For other cyclists coming from the UK, options seem limited if you don't live near London. It seems difficult to get information about companies that will ship bikes by post or courier. Flight times are difficult if you need to transfer onto another flight with airlines that make you re-check your luggage at the transfer.

The two options that I thought were most practical are hiring a car and driving to madrid or cycling to a Coruña where flight options are better. I opted for the latter - and still need to board 3 planes but at least Iberia are handling the luggage across the 3 flights. You may also find it helpful to know that Iberia can provide bike boxes at a Coruña Airport.

Thanks for the responses on this. I have my plans resolved so I don't need any more advice.

For other cyclists coming from the UK, options seem limited if you don't live near London. It seems difficult to get information about companies that will ship bikes by post or courier. Flight times are difficult if you need to transfer onto another flight with airlines that make you re-check your luggage at the transfer.

The two options that I thought were most practical are hiring a car and driving to madrid or cycling to a Coruña where flight options are better. I opted for the latter - and still need to board 3 planes but at least Iberia are handling the luggage across the 3 flights. You may also find it helpful to know that Iberia can provide bike boxes at a Coruña Airport.
Sorry, Tommy. I’m not convinced that your ‘two options’ are the most practical. What are the 3 flights you mention? Hiring a car is a very expensive solution when you pick-up and drop-off in different locations (I’ve done that too). Please tell us how you are getting your bike to the Camino starting point in the first place.

Sorry, Tommy. I’m not convinced that your ‘two options’ are the most practical. What are the 3 flights you mention? Hiring a car is a very expensive solution when you pick-up and drop-off in different locations (I’ve done that too). Please tell us how you are getting your bike to the Camino starting point in the first place.
Hi Paul, I'm happy with the arrangements I have now made. Flying from a Coruña to Madrid, Madrid to London and London to Glasgow. The reason this works is because Iberia and British Airways will handle my bike all the way through. (it is strange that I can do this with a single booking from a Coruña but not from Santiago, but that is certainly the case)

The challenge with other options was that nearly all other flights would require separate bookings with more expense and a high level of risk with connections (eg risk of missing flights long waits and overnight stay)

The option of driving to madrid would have been a reasonable alternative for me. The car hire cost of c £120 is far less than the cost of multiple flights if I flew from Santiago.

Different people will have different requirements, and I think that the routes I describe above work well for UK travellers who don't live near London

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

In another group that I moderate one of the members posted that when he arrived at the albergue in Tui, he was informed that bikers needed to wait until 7pm to check in. With the current traffic...
Hello. I’m currently walking (woman 56) from SJPDP to Santiago with my son (nearly 15) he wants to ride so I’m going to hire him a bike in Lagrono tomorrow. I need to work out if he follows a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back