• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Sharing" the Camino: A Pilgrim's Experience to Make the Journey Cheaper

tinway

Time of past OR future Camino
April 12, 2024 (from SJPP)
Hello pilgrims, Buen Camino!

My name is Tinway. We are a group of pilgrims who began our journey from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on April 12 this year. The days on the Camino have left us with unforgettable memories.

We still laugh about how every time we had to choose between different main dishes and desserts during the pilgrim’s dinner, it felt like the hardest decision of the day. Some nights, the food was exceptional; other times, not so much. And there were moments when all we wanted was to try everything, but our stomachs simply couldn’t handle it. We recall standing in front of washing machines, calculating how much of our budget was left for dinner if we splurged 5 euros on the washer. Was it really worth it for just a T-shirt, underwear, and a pair of socks? We remember entering every Lidl and Dia alone, wanting to buy groceries but knowing it would be too much to carry for the next day. We remember those long nights when someone next to our bunk bed would snore after a day of exhaustion.

As pilgrims, we've experienced every challenge along the way, and that’s why we want to share our journey with you. After completing the Camino, we began thinking about how to make life on the trail easier and more enjoyable. Our first idea was to share our experiences with both current and future pilgrims online. But we soon realized that the real key to improving the pilgrim’s journey is simple: sharing. That’s why we created this app—to help you connect with fellow pilgrims to share meals, groceries, laundry, and even apartments. With someone by your side, you can sample a wider variety of food, save money by buying groceries in bulk, and relax in the sun after your walk without worrying about laundry. You can even split an apartment, giving you a private space for a restful night’s sleep. Cooking, talking, and enjoying time together at the end of the day—that’s one of the true spirit of the Camino.

Our app is currently undergoing internal testing on Google Play. However, if you're interested before the official release, send a private message to let me know your Google account and I will invite you through the system.
1. Join the testers community
2. Download the app
The app is completely free for all pilgrims. That said, we do need funds to keep the service running, which is why you may notice ads within the app.

Thank you, and we hope you have an enjoyable walk and another memorable day on your journey. :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello pilgrims, Buen Camino!

My name is Tinway. We are a group of pilgrims who began our journey from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on April 12 this year. The days on the Camino have left us with unforgettable memories.

We still laugh about how every time we had to choose between different main dishes and desserts during the pilgrim’s dinner, it felt like the hardest decision of the day. Some nights, the food was exceptional; other times, not so much. And there were moments when all we wanted was to try everything, but our stomachs simply couldn’t handle it. We recall standing in front of washing machines, calculating how much of our budget was left for dinner if we splurged 5 euros on the washer. Was it really worth it for just a T-shirt, underwear, and a pair of socks? We remember entering every Lidl and Dia alone, wanting to buy groceries but knowing it would be too much to carry for the next day. We remember those long nights when someone next to our bunk bed would snore after a day of exhaustion.

As pilgrims, we've experienced every challenge along the way, and that’s why we want to share our journey with you. After completing the Camino, we began thinking about how to make life on the trail easier and more enjoyable. Our first idea was to share our experiences with both current and future pilgrims online. But we soon realized that the real key to improving the pilgrim’s journey is simple: sharing. That’s why we created this app—to help you connect with fellow pilgrims to share meals, groceries, laundry, and even apartments. With someone by your side, you can sample a wider variety of food, save money by buying groceries in bulk, and relax in the sun after your walk without worrying about laundry. You can even split an apartment, giving you a private space for a restful night’s sleep. Cooking, talking, and enjoying time together at the end of the day—that’s one of the true spirit of the Camino.

Our app is currently undergoing internal testing on Google Play. However, if you're interested before the official release, you can still download it using the link below, which will take you to the Google Play Store download page after logging in with your Google account.
download on Google Play
The app is completely free for all pilgrims. That said, we do need funds to keep the service running, which is why you may notice ads within the app.

Thank you, and we hope you have an enjoyable walk and another memorable day on your journey. :)
Thanks and good luck. I think something they should certainly enhance the Camino experience.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Our app is currently undergoing internal testing on Google Play. However, if you're interested before the official release, you can still download it using the link below, which will take you to the Google Play Store download page after logging in with your Google account.
download on Google Play
Your link does not work

Screenshot 2024-09-23 230632.jpg

Did you consider the old-fashioned alternative to apps and other electronic communications - ‘talking to people’?
Yes, talking to people is certainly a more straightforward approach. However, everyone has their own plans for the day and strategies when it comes to spending money, so finding someone with the same intentions isn’t always easy. Think about how many conversations you’d need to have before finding someone who shares your interest in going out for meals and enjoy different tastes, especially when many people prefer to cook at albergues. Plus, some people prefer solitude, yet they still might want to find someone to share the cost of something like a washing machine.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for letting me know. It seems Google blocks uninvited accounts. I'll revise the content, and if you'd like to participate in the test, please send me your Google account address so I can invite you through the system.
I note you highlight the word ‘cheaper’ in the title. I appreciate the title is a ‘hook’ but I think you are underselling it?
I would assume the benefits are much greater than that? i.e engaging folks who may want to meet people and so on? ,

Yes, talking to people is certainly a more straightforward approach. However, everyone has their own plans for the day and strategies when it comes to spending money, so finding someone with the same intentions isn’t always easy. Think about how many conversations you’d need to have before finding someone who shares your interest in going out for meals and enjoy different tastes, especially when many people prefer to cook at albergues. Plus, some people prefer solitude, yet they still might want to find someone to share the cost of something like a washing machine.
Fair point - and I wish you success.

How do you guys (dear forum members) enjoy talking to a machine? It's fun, isn't it? It can even give it a thumb up for your reply ;)

Hey Tinway, why don't you show us your credential? With 100,000 forum members, there's certainly someone who shared the washing machine with you at the albergue :)

Attachments

• scam.jpg
    scam.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 6
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I note you highlight the word ‘cheaper’ in the title. I appreciate the title is a ‘hook’ but I think you are underselling it?
I would assume the benefits are much greater than that? i.e engaging folks who may want to meet people and so on? ,
Yes, you're right. As a backpacker who loves to traveling around the world. I don't have much budget, that's why I emphasize 'cheaper' :p

How do you guys (dear forum members) enjoy talking to a machine? It's fun, isn't it? It can even give it a thumb up for your reply ;)

Hey Tinway, why don't you show us your credential? With 100,000 forum members, there's certainly someone who shared the washing machine with you at the albergue :)
Uhh.. I'm sorry that I used ChatGPT but it's because I am not that good at English as you do. That's why I used it to proofread... I am not aware this thread would bother other members this much. I will contact admin to delete this thread right away. I am sorry.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, Maybe some can give some advice/helping words for me to actually be able to go do it. I am feeling the need to walk the frances (i originally planned and wanted to do the primitivo for...
Hello friends! My name is Kelly (aka SonderWithMe) and I’m going to be starting the Camino from SJPP on September 26th - so excited (and a little nervous)!!! 😁 Anyway, I’m wondering if it’s...
I have walked the CF twice in August and October plus the Le Puy camino in August. I walked Irun to Bilbao in August as well. I planned to walk the Portuguese camino from Lisbon but now don't...
Hi everyone--I'm super excited to be starting the Camino a week from today. Leaving SJPP on 9/24. Woo hoo. I'm celebrating my 50th birthday (it was Dec. 16). Looking forward to meeting some fellow...
Some time ago someone replied to a post of mine for an interactive map showing the caminos. I have lost it somewhere on my computer and I need it for planning my next camino. All I can remember is...
Hi, I’m Sally from Australia and I’m planning to walk for 3 weeks starting in Le Puy in mid March 2025. I know, it’s going to be cold! But I love walking in the cold and have done a few walks in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back