Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September start date

VeganCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Frances from Saint Jean Pied du Port to Burgos, starting in June.
Hello Pilgrim friends. I am preparing to walk the Frances in late September. I had thought of starting on a Sunday, as I hear the church in SJPP has a beautiful morning service. Then I thought of starting on the 23 of September. But... There don't appear to be any accommodations available for me to do that.

Right now I have a more expensive Airbnb booked in SJPP for the night of the 23rd and a dorm in Roncesvalles and Zubiri, and two nights in Pamplona.

Last time I walked, this was as far as I got before the heat and the bed race chased me to the Norte. I loved San Sebastian and I'm glad I saw it. But... I missed the churches and community of the Frances, so I took a bus back to Leon and walked from there.

I was hoping for an easier flow this time, picking one route and staying on it. I'm curious to hear others thoughts on the timing of my trip. Is September just too busy- at least too busy to not book ahead?

I hoped this time to be able to walk as far as I like and stay off my phone as much as possible until I'm in a town (i.e. not to have to be on booking.com frantically looking for accommodations every night).

Thoughts from recent pilgrims?

I wonder if the experience I hope for is less available now that the Camino is so so so popular. 🤔

Thank you so much!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked last year starting September 25th - I booked Orisson and nothing more. There was only one time in Nejera that the Albergue I was in had to turn people away.

I walked last year starting September 25th - I booked Orisson and nothing more. There was only one time in Nejera that the Albergue I was in had to turn people away.
Did you stay at municipal albergues? or another type of accommodation? Thank you for responding. I hope you had a great experience.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Pilgrim friends. I am preparing to walk the Frances in late September. I had thought of starting on a Sunday, as I hear the church in SJPP has a beautiful morning service. Then I thought of starting on the 23 of September. But... There don't appear to be any accommodations available for me to do that.

Right now I have a more expensive Airbnb booked in SJPP for the night of the 23rd and a dorm in Roncesvalles and Zubiri, and two nights in Pamplona.

Last time I walked, this was as far as I got before the heat and the bed race chased me to the Norte. I loved San Sebastian and I'm glad I saw it. But... I missed the churches and community of the Frances, so I took a bus back to Leon and walked from there.

I was hoping for an easier flow this time, picking one route and staying on it. I'm curious to hear others thoughts on the timing of my trip. Is September just too busy- at least too busy to not book ahead?

I hoped this time to be able to walk as far as I like and stay off my phone as much as possible until I'm in a town (i.e. not to have to be on booking.com frantically looking for accommodations every night).

Thoughts from recent pilgrims?

I wonder if the experience I hope for is less available now that the Camino is so so so popular. 🤔

Thank you so much!
I can see 14 accommodations available on Berking.con for 23rd September, 11 for the 22nd & similar for the 21st. I haven’t bothered searching other resources ‘cos I’m going to be on a different route, same date(s). No accommodation problems.

Relax. Enjoy. Buen Camino

I can see 14 accommodations available on Berking.con for 23rd September, 11 for the 22nd & similar for the 21st. I haven’t bothered searching other resources ‘cos I’m going to be on a different route, same date(s). No accommodation problems.

Thank you! I'll check it out. I was using booking.com, Airbnb, and Google.

Thank you! I'll check it out. I was using booking.com, Airbnb, and Google.
Please note Berking is the slang I use for one of the websites you’ve named. I won’t use the name because I hate making their bots happy.

As an aside it’s highly unlikely that the municipal albergue in St Jean will be fully occupied on those dates for the simple reason that people are so desperate to book somewhere so far in advance of their actual trip that the “market” is distorted.

Edit: you might find: https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances useful

Last edited:
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
Did you stay at municipal albergues? or another type of accommodation? Thank you for responding. I hope you had a great experience.
Always Albergues, a mix of municipal, private and donativo. It was the most amazing experience, more so than I could ever have hoped for. It is a special path for those fortunate enough to walk it.

As an aside it’s highly unlikely that the municipal albergue in St Jean will be fully occupied on those dates for the simple reason that people are so desperate to book somewhere so far in advance of their actual trip that the “market” is distorted.
The municipal doesn't take reservations and this place accepts reservations but only the day before your booking:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Which route are you doing this time Tincatinker? We are doing the Norte, starting 9/12 from Irún!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

I can’t believe I’m just starting my 4th week on the Camino! Frómista to Carrión de los Condes, 12.5 miles, 20.11 Km. A rather uneventful day, which I don’t mind after yesterday’s intense day...
Hello all, I'm planing a 10-14 day walk from SJPP to .. as far as I get. Will be walking a slower pace (about 8 miles) and plan to cross from SJPP to Roncevalles in 2 days. Once leaving...
Hi, I’ve walked four Caminos in the past and hope to do another in June next year, though my arthritis might have another opinion… We all walk our own Camino our own way… I’ve still got the...
It's almost there thankfully the big walk begins tomorrow, raining all day according to the forecast. Trying to get a few hours sleep tonight and a good breakfast in the morning. I've done all my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back