J.Patrick

Aug 25, 2016
Camarillo CA
pilgrimheart.org
Time of past OR future Camino
Porto 2015.
Northern 2017
Francigena Oct 2023
On the Caminos I’ve done I’ve loved the whole process of getting stamps / sellos, marking the places, the passage of time, the walking of miles. I’ve felt at home with it and have made a shrine of them at home.

is there a culture of sellos / stamps on the Francigena? Will anyone know what I’m talking about when I ask for a stamp? Is the correct word foca in Italian (from Google translate)?

What has been your experience with this whole process on the Francigena?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

David from Freo

"These are the best years of our lives"
Mar 30, 2014
Western Australia
Via Francigena (current) 2023
Our experience a few months ago from UK to the Italian border was that there is a very different situation regarding stamps on the Via Francigena compared to the Camino de Santiago routes. It was very rare, certainly on the section through France and Switzerland, to find churches or even cathedrals with stamps. We mainly got them from tourist offices and occasionally from accommodation, although even hotels or gite quite often didn't seem to have them readily available. Perhaps others had a different experience however.

Hammockhanger

Jun 4, 2021
GA USA
On the Caminos I’ve done I’ve loved the whole process of getting stamps / sellos, marking the places, the passage of time, the walking of miles. I’ve felt at home with it and have made a shrine of them at home.

is there a culture of sellos / stamps on the Francigena? Will anyone know what I’m talking about when I ask for a stamp? Is the correct word foca in Italian (from Google translate)?

Yes there is a passport book on the Frangenia. I have a full one from Florence to Rome. Enjoy.

Reactions: Wippe
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Harington

Jul 15, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Vézelay/Francés 2011, Primitivo 2012, VdlP 2013, Via Domitia 2014, Inglés 2015, Francigena 2016

In Italian timbro; in French tampon. The stamps are more easy to come by in Italy, but the French are waking up to it as well. Also you can get one at the churches between Canterbury and Dover.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Aug 1, 2020
Hatton, Warwick, England.

Hello.
This year I have walked from Canterbury to Guines when an accident caused me to have to return home to England. I collected stamps in my credential all along the way. The check in desk at P&O ferries in Dover and both UK and French customs also were happy to stamp credentials.

Foca I believe means seal which actually seems a better translation that stamp.

Finally I suggest this link may be of use to you.

Buen Camino

Vince

timr

Mar 29, 2009
Liverpool, but also East Molesey & Co Wicklow
walkingtim.com
Several and counting...
Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Jim

Dec 31, 2005
2006- Camino Portuguese
2008- Camino Frances
2009- Sanabres extension of the VDLP
2010- Camino Frances
2011- Camino Potuguese
2014- Camino Frances
2017- Camino Finisterre
We often got stamps from the police stations in a town. They knew what we were asking for and were quite happy to oblige. In fact, we were sometimes directed there to get the stamp.
Ditto at the mayor's offices/town halls

Dodger

Lone Walker, Frances 2018-VdlP2022 Francigene2023
Mar 22, 2017
Australia
Frances 2018
VDLPP2022
Francigen 2023
Just finished the Francigene from Aosta, never had a problem getting a stamp. All accomodation have a stamp, tourist offices like wise, most businesses will give you their business stamp if you ask politely and show them your credential. 🙏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

NavyBlue

Oct 13, 2014
France
Le Puy and Camino Frances. Via Francigena. Tro-Breiz in progress.
Hi,

At the door of the Cathedral (Duomo) in Lucca (where you have to pay, as for many major churches in Italy) :
"- Got a reduced rate for pilgrims?
- No, but I can give you a stamp.
- OK..."

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My husband and I are considering walking for about 3 weeks on either the Via Francigena or the Via Francesco in Italy. Im having trouble finding information that compares the two options...
I saw this link on FB today and it is useful to give you some idea of the serious nature of snow around the GSB pass. This is saying that the snow has been very heavy this year, but that the pass...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.