Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking info on Portuguese Camino

Octosaurus

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese is next
Hi there!

I plan to walk my first camino in April this year and have my mind set on the Portuguese variant from Lisbon. Now I am trying to decide which route to take. Most guides are about the central route until porto and many people prefer the coastal route from porto going on. I also read something about a coastal route from Lisbon to Porto but I can't find a lot of info about it.

I would love some advice from people who walked the Portuguese route. Which route did you take and why? Do you have any advice for me?

Thank you so much!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm not aware of any coastal variant from Lisbon, but perhaps others will know. From Porto, the central route is generally regarded as more authentic, passing through some interesting towns, villages, lots of churches, vineyards etc.. and lots of cobbles that you might curse at the end of a long day. The coastal has more of a tourist feel to it, with a lot of beachfront development, much of it on boardwalks.. a novelty if you don't have any oceans handy where you live. Both routes join up for the last eighty kilometres or so..

I also read something about a coastal route from Lisbon to Porto but I can't find a lot of info about it.
hi, @Octosaurus, welcome to the forum.

From Lisbon, you have three choices (at least). The so-called coastal route, which really doesn’t spend much time on the coast at all, and goes through Sintra. We have a sub-forum on that route here. There aren’t many members who have walked it, but there are almost 60 threads, so that should give you some good info. Do not expect to see anyone else if you walk that route, though!

There is also the Trilho das Areias, (the path of sand) which does follow the coast. We don’t have a sub-forum for it because there is just not much traffic, but if you go to this post, you’ll get links to a few web sources.

And then of course, the non-coastal route, the Central route, which goes along the Rio Tejo for a while. Lots of info on that option.

This is a start, maybe others have more info! Bom caminho.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
All I know is that it sounds very confusing when you are planning, but once you are there, it all makes sense. We went from Porto on the coastal as we love the ocean and we had a FANTASTIC camino, though I think if I did it again, I might do the Spiritual Variant. That would be the only change as albergues, restaurants, and towns we stayed at were spot on! Don't miss a stay in Vigo - great food, interesting city.

Hi there!

I plan to walk my first camino in April this year and have my mind set on the Portuguese variant from Lisbon. Now I am trying to decide which route to take. Most guides are about the central route until porto and many people prefer the coastal route from porto going on. I also read something about a coastal route from Lisbon to Porto but I can't find a lot of info about it.

I would love some advice from people who walked the Portuguese route. Which route did you take and why? Do you have any advice for me?

Thank you so much!
In terms of the routes going north from Porto, the choice is roughly coastal/littoral, central or some combination. There are many threads on this forum devoted to that topic but it comes down, in the end, to personal preferences. Here's one thread from earlier in the year: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/portuguese-central-or-coastal.85024/#post-1220316

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We cycled the coastal route from Lisbon - as our first Camino.... (led to many more!) There was nothing signposted, but variious books mentioned Portuguese royalty going that way - so we just went via Sintra (never miss Sintra!) then made our own route to the coast just before Ericeira. Then we just followed any track or road that stayed near the sea - a few times we had to detour inland a bit - but we only had the old military maps and no smartphone - so took local advice.... There was much to see along the way - and stunningly beautiful beaches. No other pilgrims. At Porto we took the inland route (used the beloved Brierley guide) which was fantastic and hard graft!
Last year as part of a longer cycle we did a short bit of the inland from Lisbon and the coastal variant from Porto northwards - which was fabulous, plenty of campsites and albergues and quite easy going.
I would say if you are adventurous and don't mind being out on a limb - then go for the coastal from Lisbon - but if you want the pilgrim camaraderie right from the start - go inland!! There's some lovely albergues going up the estuary from Lisbon.....
pics - 2 albergues NE of Lisbon and the coast above Porto

Attachments

• 20230403_202101.jpg
    20230403_202101.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230404_200624.jpg
    20230404_200624.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230518_111030.jpg
    20230518_111030.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
hi, @Octosaurus, welcome to the forum.

From Lisbon, you have three choices (at least). The so-called coastal route, which really doesn’t spend much time on the coast at all, and goes through Sintra. We have a sub-forum on that route here. There aren’t many members who have walked it, but there are almost 60 threads, so that should give you some good info. Do not expect to see anyone else if you walk that route, though!

There is also the Trilho das Areias, (the path of sand) which does follow the coast. We don’t have a sub-forum for it because there is just not much traffic, but if you go to this post, you’ll get links to a few web sources.

And then of course, the non-coastal route, the Central route, which goes along the Rio Tejo for a while. Lots of info on that option.

This is a start, maybe others have more info! Bom caminho.
Thank you very much! This helps :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We cycled the coastal route from Lisbon - as our first Camino.... (led to many more!) There was nothing signposted, but variious books mentioned Portuguese royalty going that way - so we just went via Sintra (never miss Sintra!) then made our own route to the coast just before Ericeira. Then we just followed any track or road that stayed near the sea - a few times we had to detour inland a bit - but we only had the old military maps and no smartphone - so took local advice.... There was much to see along the way - and stunningly beautiful beaches. No other pilgrims. At Porto we took the inland route (used the beloved Brierley guide) which was fantastic and hard graft!
Last year as part of a longer cycle we did a short bit of the inland from Lisbon and the coastal variant from Porto northwards - which was fabulous, plenty of campsites and albergues and quite easy going.
I would say if you are adventurous and don't mind being out on a limb - then go for the coastal from Lisbon - but if you want the pilgrim camaraderie right from the start - go inland!! There's some lovely albergues going up the estuary from Lisbon.....
pics - 2 albergues NE of Lisbon and the coast above Porto
Thank you very much! I think the pilgrim camaraderie might be the way to go for my first camino.

Hi there!

Thank you so much!
Join Camino Portuguese facebook page. It is a great resource.

Most read last week in this forum

We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions. Hubby is thinking...
Greetings from Portugal, We are currently in the town of Santarem. We have met some wonderful folks and we have a question. Does anyone know if there is a way to transport backpacks from here to...
We are walking the Camino Portuguese today and the fires outside of Albergaría a Velha forced us to evacuate to Sao Joao da Madeira. I am trying to find the best resource to check on our path to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back