Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Sarria to Santiago, August 2024

Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping to walk end of July or beginning of August
I started today from Sarria. I am telling you…it was much harder than I thought. (61yr young🙋🏻‍♀️) Made it to Ferreiros. Stopping for the night…my app said we walked 9.93 miles and I feel every one of them. It wasn’t busy at all!!! Met a nice lady from Poland/Germany, a young man from Monterey, CA/USA and two young gals from England. Other than that pretty much on our own the whole way. Not hot and not busy. Started at 8 ended about 2:30…at home I average a 18min mile…..NOT here, lol. Buen Camino🥰

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I started today from Sarria. I am telling you…it was much harder than I thought. (61yr young🙋🏻‍♀️) Made it to Ferreiros. Stopping for the night…my app said we walked 9.93 miles and I feel every one of them. It wasn’t busy at all!!! Met a nice lady from Poland/Germany, a young man from Monterey, CA/USA and two young gals from England. Other than that pretty much on our own the whole way. Not hot and not busy. Started at 8 ended about 2:30…at home I average a 18min mile…..NOT here, lol. Buen Camino🥰
Well done Denise. You can look forward to brand new legs in the morning! And then more.. buen camino...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Denise63,

Glad to learn that you are now on your way!

Years ago when I walked I loved the Xunta albergue in Ferreiros amidst tbe beautiful landscape.

You might enjoy stopping tomorrow for breakfast nearby down the hill next to the local church at the very good and very friendly restaurant/bar Meson O Mirallos. They usually open early for pilgrims.

Looking forward to reading more camino posts as you move along.

Carpe diem and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Change your app to km - you'll get a 'larger' number and will feel a greater sense of accomplishment 😇
So on your 1st day you walked roughly 16km which is not bad at all!!!! and you did it in 6 hours. Dont know if that included breaks but again - you left at decent time (a tad late for me but thats ME) and got in shortly after Albergue opened with plenty of time to cleanup and relax
No reason to chase your timings at home - if anything just enjoy the walk and take time to appreciate the beauty that surrounds you

Buen Camino

Yes, we have stopped at Ferrieros the last couple of times. Tomorrow the walk to Portomarin is pretty quick. The following day we walked to Santa Cruz and took the side path to see the Iron Age hill fort at Castromayor. It is mostly uphill that day so its nice to break the walk into 2 days. Take your time if you can there's a beautiful national treasure church (Vilar de Donas) to see with a short side trip or a taxi and also Castillo de Pembre by taxi at either Palas de Rei or from Melide. If you have time do both. You don't have to cramm everything in 5 days. If you have time, you'll enjoy the culture and history, too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not crowded. Not too hot!!! What grateful news :)

Congrats! I did it in June, started at 8.30am and ended at Portomarin at almost 7pm. It almost killed me, I wasnt enjoying my first day on the CF and regrettably I had only 5 days to walk and everything was booked. Glad that you did the right thing by cutting the stages shorter, I agree that it wasnt easy and it wasnt crowded (esp after 2pm as everyone had reached their lodging).

I'm going back to the CF in December and going to cover 100km (stages before Sarria) in 8 days instead of 5 days, hopefully I'll enjoy it more. Buen Camino!

@akane81 - Hmmmm 22km on your 1st day...Yeah maybe a bit much but then it does not compare with SJPDP to Roncesvalles (not to take away from your deed just that Sarria to Portomarin there is no climb).
12 hours is a lot of time obviously you were moving slow and perhaps also took couple of long breaks?
But you know what? You DID IT!!!! and it didn't kill you 😉 and you're coming back
😁

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As you are walking - check out The Last 12 K Guest house in San Paio. Amazing place to stay. The hostess, Helena is so kind and accommodating. The restaurants in town close at 3pm, but she lets you choose items from the menu and she has them ready and waiting for you at dinner time. So glad we stayed there.

@akane81 - Hmmmm 22km on your 1st day...Yeah maybe a bit much but then it does not compare with SJPDP to Roncesvalles (not to take away from your deed just that Sarria to Portomarin there is no climb).
12 hours is a lot of time obviously you were moving slow and perhaps also took couple of long breaks?
But you know what? You DID IT!!!! and it didn't kill you 😉 and you're coming back
😁

Yeah I'm definitely not fast or I should say I'm way slower than average. I'm not going to do SJPDP to Roncesvalles in one day if I'm ever starting from there, I've figured out I'll enjoy the camino much more at my own pace. :)

Well... I didn't do it in one day either so.... 😁
Once more you did very well on your first day.
Hopefully by now you got a bit of your own stride (whatever it is - like I said you are not in any race with anyone, yourself included) and enjoying the walk

Good luck and Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back