This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Santovenia variant to Castanares

Wanieta

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept. 2024
Hello all,
I will be staying in Santovenia and from there to Castanares. It looks like I have 2 route options. I can go to Ages and pick up the variant just after Obaneja Riopico or proceed from Santovenia through Zalduendo, Ibeas de Juarros, and two other hamlets to Castnares. I believe this has been named the "other, other variant" and would like some advice from anyone who has traveled these routes. Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked this route in April this year as San Juan de Ortega was full. My partner and I, along with a couple of guys had the 24 bed albergue to ourselves in Santovenia. It was great! - From there we took the alternative route to Burgos which was well marked all the way. For much of the trail you do walk by a road but not too much traffic. There is also a town or two to stop at for supplies. Hope this helps

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Walked through Zalduendo and Los Tomillares, you can't go wrong with yellow arrow markers all the way. Going through Ages adds another 5 plus kilometres, I did that route back in 2016.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well, from Santovenia you have the option of going north west to Ages and continuing through Atapuerca and Orbaneja to the Castanares varient or proceeding sort of south west to Castanares via the Santovenia varient. I was just wondering which is the more pleasant option.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum