Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sanabrés-unusual?

JanosB

Time of past OR future Camino
planned: September 2024
My first Camino is due at the end of August, an old dream comes true.
I'm retired, I have time already. For a long while I insisted going to the CF.
As I learned more - especially on this forum - I changed my mind. I'm not looking for a tourist attraction, I'm rather avoiding the crowd, I'm looking for the original Camino -if at all possible. Now I have the plan: Sanabrés (extended), starting from Zamora, 15 days, 421 km. After Santiago, I go to the end of the world on foot or by bus, depending on my stamina.

But before I book my air ticket I’d like to ask for your opinion based on your experiences.

THX.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have walked the Sanabres 3 times. An excellent choice if you want a quieter route. Important that you are aware that the sections from Puebla de Sanabria to Ourense have some serious hills. I've never used luggage transport but I think that is not an option before Ourense either if that features in your plans. Infrastructure is far more sparse than on the Frances or Portugues so more attention is needed to planning accommodation, food and water. The beauty and the solitude to appreciate it more than make up for any extra challenges in my opinion.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's a nice route, certainly the quietest of the ways into Santiago. I'm thinking to walk in from Ourense before my next volunteering stint in Santiago in late Sept, it's always nice to arrive as a pilgrim and it's six years since I walked up the Plata/Sanabres..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As I learned more - especially on this forum - I changed my mind. I'm not looking for a tourist attraction, I'm rather avoiding the crowd, I'm looking for the original Camino -if at all possible. Now I have the plan: Sanabrés (extended), starting from Zamora, 15 days, 421 km. After Santiago, I go to the end of the world on foot or by bus, depending on my stamina.

But before I book my air ticket I’d like to ask for your opinion based on your experiences.

THX.
As others have said, it is a lovely walk. I suggest you look at the average temperatures in Zamora at the end of August before deciding as it will likely be quite warm. Even with an early morning start, averaging 28km a day will involve some time walking in the heat of the day. Wishing you a buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am planning to walk from Samora in July. I am in Santo Domingo de Calzada today.
It’s not so busy on Frances but still a lot of peregrinos. I am looking forward to take bus from Leon. It will take 3 weeks for me to Santiago hoping to find affordable accommodations each day. I will let you know how it is on th way. And any advice from experienced peregrinos highly appreciated.

THX.
I have walked it twice. The first time was when I connected to the Sanabres at the end of the Via de la Plata. Second time, my daughter and I walked from Ourense to Santiago as a “warm up” before walking from Lisbon to Santiago.
I would take care though, at the time of year you’re considering walking from Zamora, as the summer heat can be quite intense and there is little to no shade especially from Zamora.
I loved the Sanabres though and walked both times in early spring. It’s much quieter than the frances but I still met a good number of pilgrims, just not so much during the day while walking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am planning to walk from Samora in July. I am in Santo Domingo de Calzada today.
It’s not so busy on Frances but still a lot of peregrinos. I am looking forward to take bus from Leon. It will take 3 weeks for me to Santiago hoping to find affordable accommodations each day. I will let you know how it is on th way. And any advice from experienced peregrinos highly appreciated.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

This afternoon I arrived in Zamora 🇪🇸 to start the Vía de la Plata/Sanabrés to Santiago de Compostela. This will be a test for my new hip which I received in March🚶🏼‍♀️👟 🎒. I've walked this...
My first Camino is due at the end of August, an old dream comes true. I'm retired, I have time already. For a long while I insisted going to the CF. As I learned more - especially on this forum...
So I’ve been doing alot of research on the VDLP. A long long walk :) My friends friend finished the VDLP on March 28 of this year and stayed about 12 kms from Santiago. Is that a good distance or...
Hi everyone! I may have the opportunity to go on Camino on the last week of January 2025 and seriously considering the Sanabres. I've read many posts and researched about the weather. Still, does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back