• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sagalout's One man and his sprogs

SAGALOUTS SON

Time of past OR future Camino
My Dad loved the Camino
Hi friends, old and new.

It is a year since our first Camino walking partly in memory of my dad Sagalout.

This year, we are going to walk from Porto and have given ourselves plenty of time (I hope) to get to Santiago. 15 days walking time.

Lessons from last time include, better footwear (I know everyone says that) and better back packs! I also found that teenage boys don't really enjoy Santiago and much prefer the villages and scenery. They particularly liked places with pools...hence the coastal route is calling.

Any good advice for this route is very much appreciated. I also think we will have a few days spare so looking for at least 1 rest day with teenage boys......would love some ideas here.

If we make good time, we will go to the end of the earth to see where we scattered my dad's ashes.

We head off on July 13th and have, against my sons' wishes, booked the first 2 nights. They loved the idea of deciding each day where they might end up. Last year we were on a much worn path and only had one night where we had any anxiety about where we were sleeping.

Looking forward to all your advice.

kind regards

Andy Sagalout's son

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
@SAGALOUTS SON, your posts always bring up so many thoughts about your dad. So good to hear from you, and a heartfelt Buen Camino to you and your boys.

For those forum members who joined recently, here is some of the backstory. @Sagalouts was a beloved, crusty, no-holds-barred forum member who died while walking the Francés. Many memories are shared on this thread from 2015. Post 121 of that thread has a link to a video made by another pilgrim the night before he died. Sagalouts appears at about minute 52, I think.

Sagalout’s son walked with his boys in memory of his dad in 2023 and kept in touch on this live thread.

I think these threads are a good example of how the forum is so much more than a place to get advice about boots, walking sticks, and pack transfer. Looking forward to following along again, but I don’t think you need any advice!

Hi friends, old and new.

It is a year since our first Camino walking partly in memory of my dad Sagalout.

This year, we are going to walk from Porto and have given ourselves plenty of time (I hope) to get to Santiago. 15 days walking time.

Lessons from last time include, better footwear (I know everyone says that) and better back packs! I also found that teenage boys don't really enjoy Santiago and much prefer the villages and scenery. They particularly liked places with pools...hence the coastal route is calling.

Any good advice for this route is very much appreciated. I also think we will have a few days spare so looking for at least 1 rest day with teenage boys......would love some ideas here.

If we make good time, we will go to the end of the earth to see where we scattered my dad's ashes.

We head off on July 13th and have, against my sons' wishes, booked the first 2 nights. They loved the idea of deciding each day where they might end up. Last year we were on a much worn path and only had one night where we had any anxiety about where we were sleeping.

kind regards

Andy Sagalout's son
I have not done it yet but I can't wait to, hopefully this November, but if your boys love scenery and small villages, walk the Spiritual Variant that starts right after you walk through Pontevedra. I have heard from so many that this is one of the most beautiful parts of any camino. Your boys are lucky to have you as their dad! Your dad must have been some wonderful man. He showed you what it means to be a good dad and now you are showing your sons! Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Unfortunately, I have no memory of your father, but he sounds like a wonderful man! My only advice, is to stick to the water, if you love it! You will have plenty of time to walk extra on the Senda Litoral. There are so many glorious beaches and Baiona is my favorite, with a castle, a lovely old town with old churches, etc. If you just want to hang on the beach, Vila Praia de Âncora is a wonderful place too. Joy to you all on your memory walk!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi friends, old and new.

kind regards

Andy Sagalout's son
No advice. Just delight to see you are going again with your boys.
Well, maybe one tiny thing to say: do your best to get to the ends of the earth. And if you don't?
I look forward to your reports, and maybe the boys can chip in...

What a blessing to take your sons in your father’s footsteps!
We just finished the Coastal, mainly Littoral, and loved it. We did short days to start because we had plenty of time.

Stop at the beaches and explore the tide pools around the rocks. Just beware of the tides and currents. Some days were pretty calm and others were pretty rough.

Refugio do Mar in Vila Cha was right on the beach with a rooftop area.

Sea to Soul in Esposende was popular among the kite surfers. Had a little pool but good vibe and good kitchen.

Hotel Glasgow in Viladesusa was a splurge because we met a group of friends there for a fun evening. Their pool and outside area were lovely.

Ditto the suggestion for the Spiritual Variant especially if they’d like a boat ride (use Amare for the faster boat). The Route of Stone and Water is indescribable.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My
No advice. Just delight to see you are going again with your boys.
Well, maybe one tiny thing to say: do your best to get to the ends of the earth. And if you don't?
I look forward to your reports, and maybe the boys can chip in...
My eldest son did try to take the name Sagalout's Son's son but just a bit too long.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi friends, old and new. It is a year since our first Camino walking partly in memory of my dad Sagalout. This year, we are going to walk from Porto and have given ourselves plenty of time (I...
Day 1 Vila Nova de Gaia to Matosinhos: 12 K 9:20 - 12:40* Highest temp** while walking: 72° Pilgrims spotted: 8 Seattle-Newark-Porto, not an easy route, but that's the price we pay for living on...
Hello! We had originally intended to walk from Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates but it looks like the route is unsupported. How is the walk, if anyone has done it? We would rather avoid walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back