Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rucksack transfer

Shamoose

Time of past OR future Camino
Autumn 2024
Hi. I am starting my camino on Monday 16th Sept at St Jean Pied De Port. I have hust pit my final rucksack together for the first timeit comes in at about 8.5Kg, I am 86Kg so this seems kinda acceptable. My health and fitness is generally good, but typically last week I twisted my anke the week before I set off...grrr! I am thinking of using a luggage transfer service on an occasional basis along the way. Is this possible? ie I decide maybe the day befor I would like my pack carried for me just for tomorrow. In the first instance (partly because Im a bit nervious about the first sections). I would probably like my rucksack transfeered from St Jean Pied De Port to Roncesvalles.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
No problem. There are several services and depending on the albergue where you stay, there maybe a preferred service they use. You simply fill out a form on a pre-printed envelope, deposit the required fee (5+ euros) inside and your bag will magically appear at the destination. Caveat, make sure you know the destination is on the list of places the service delivers to and have your bag tagged before 7:00 when the services start the collection process.

No problem. There are several services and depending on the albergue where you stay, there maybe a preferred service they use. You simply fill out a form on a pre-printed envelope, deposit the required fee (5+ euros) inside and your bag will magically appear at the destination. Caveat, make sure you know the destination is on the list of places the service delivers to and have your bag tagged before 7:00 when the services start the collection process.
So I dont need to worry? Just book when I get there, the night before at my Albergue?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So I dont need to worry? Just book when I get there, the night before at my Albergue?
Basically, that being said I can't say with certainty that every single albergue on the Camino is connect to a delivery service. For instance, I served at San Anton and we did not do baggage.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
From St Jean to Roncesvalles I think Express Bourricot is the only option (although possibly the ‘donkey service’ also does it.

Look online and drop your bag off with them in St Jean. Very reliable.

Once you’re in Spain there are numerous options per the link in posts above.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
and as has been mentioned above - make SURE that the albergue you are going to does accept deliveries. I personally did the reservations about 2-3 days ahead; this way it was easy (at least for me) to let the transport co know which albergue to go on which day.
good luck and buen camino

There several albergues which don't participate in luggage transfers. You need to check your transfer services online before scheduling.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi. I am starting my camino on Monday 16th Sept at St Jean Pied De Port. I have hust pit my final rucksack together for the first timeit comes in at about 8.5Kg, I am 86Kg so this seems kinda acceptable. My health and fitness is generally good, but typically last week I twisted my anke the week before I set off...grrr! I am thinking of using a luggage transfer service on an occasional basis along the way. Is this possible? ie I decide maybe the day befor I would like my pack carried for me just for tomorrow. In the first instance (partly because Im a bit nervious about the first sections). I would probably like my rucksack transfeered from St Jean Pied De Port to Roncesvalles.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It seems Express Bourricot has an office on the same road as my first Albergue. Ill just pop in the day before to book if i need it. Perfect. Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

I did SJPdP to Roncesvalles in two days, using luggage transport which I arranged the day of my arrival in St Jean. After that, I carried myself. I am now on day 10 and have decided to use luggage transfer for either stretches with much elevation, or very long distances. I am 72 yo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did SJPdP to Roncesvalles in two days, using luggage transport which I arranged the day of my arrival in St Jean. After that, I carried myself. I am now on day 10 and have decided to use luggage transfer for either stretches with much elevation, or very long distances. I am 72 yo.
Well done Marike. My day one will be this monday. Hope you are enjoying it I believe the secret to enjoyment is not to rush.

I have enlisted CaminoFacil to take care of my luggage and start my journey on Oct 4th.
Has anyone else ever used CaminoFacil? They seem very organized, but I guess I won't know til I get there...
Caminofacil.net

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food
Hi, We walked the Camino de Santiago for the first time in May & June this year, and absolutely loved it. We plan on walking the first week again in October (with a view to going back later next...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
I heard it mentioned that rather than walking through the industrial section of Leon it was possible to take a bus out of the city....but where to?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back