• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Rookie Pilgrim From Chicago Doing Le Puy To Santiago- May 2017

CHICAGOSTYLE

Time of past OR future Camino
VIA PODIENSIS TO SANTIAGO MAY 2017
Hi everyone,

My name is Tommy, I'm from the Northside of Chicago (born and raised...Go Cubs) and I'm extremely excited to be doing the Camino this summer.

This has been a dream of mine for the past 10yrs. About a decade ago I was discussing Paulo Coelho's Alchemist with a good friend of mine and he had borrowed me a copy of The Pilgrimage by Coelho. This particular copy was given to him by a nun while he was incarcerated earlier in his life. After reading the novel I became hooked and had spent many years dreaming and "planning". Five years ago my grandmother passed away unexpectedly and I felt a strong pull toward the ancient way.

Last spring I had left the investment firm I was working for and decided that I would take this time to walk the path. My friend that had introduced me to the Camino passed away in March and I had thought this would by a great way to remember him and my grandma as I had never been able to truly cope with her death. I came very close to pulling the trigger and buying my airfare but a career opportunity popped up and I couldn't pass it by. I took it in stride with the understanding that it wasn't in God's will that I walk at that time.

This March, my grandfather unexpectedly passed and I had another professional break this summer. Again the Camino is calling my name. It is different this time as I now have a beautiful, adventurous girlfriend that is very devout in our Catholic faith who has summers off as a Catholic School teacher. Her and I have been discerning marriage and have committed to starting the Camino this May.

Had I walked last summer I would have been doing it alone and in remembrance of my grandma, while this year I will be walking for both of my grandparents, my friend Mark, and for the discernment of marriage with my partner in crime. I will also be walking with prayer intentions directed towards the innocent victims of violence in my beloved city.

I'm a city guy and have zero experience in the outdoors....believe it or not, I've never even been camping. This being said I hope to find some guidance on this forum from experienced pilgrims as I'm just diving in blind and head first. That is partly my intention, however, I have my girlfriend to worry about and I want to make sure that I can make the camino as comfortable and enjoyable for her as possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Weather, gear, do's and don't.....Please, I'll take all I can get.

In Christ,

Tommy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tommy:

Well this forum is a fountain of information on all you need. I suggest you read through some of the threads and possibly refine your questions.

A few general thoughts.

Weather, do not give it a thought. Just make sure you have rain gear, whether that be a poncho or rain pants and jacket.

The Camino can be walked by almost anyone. With the exception of two or three days, there is a town/village or city with accommodation about every six to 10 km's.

The Camino is much safer than most places in the world. That said, you should always take normal precautions.

Read through the forum threads. Go to REI and get a good fitted pack and hiking shoes. As your feet go so goes your Camino.

Start slowly and ease your body into walking a half marathon everyday for a month. Pack as light as possible, the Camino will teach you how little you need.
Listen to your body, if you feel a rub or friction stop and address it now. The Camino will take care of the rest.

I am leaving myself for another Camino on Tuesday.

Ultreya and Go White Sox,
Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry to be aguafiesta.

Check out the legal bit about Schengen Visa ... it lets you stay in Europe for 90 days out of every 180.

90 days is not likely enough time to walk from Le Puy en Velay to Santiago. A lot of people break it up into Le Puy to St Jean de Pied de Port (SJPdP) and then make a second trip from SJPdP to Santiago.

Le Puy is best reached from Lyon.

Take the tram from Lyon Airport to Lyon. (if you try to take the SNCF train from Lyon Airport you get the round trip via Paris).

Take SNCF train and bus from Lyon to Le Puy.

Buen Camino

Tommy:

Well this forum is a fountain of information on all you need. I suggest you read through some of the threads and possibly refine your questions.

A few general thoughts.

Weather, do not give it a thought. Just make sure you have rain gear, whether that be a poncho or rain pants and jacket.

The Camino can be walked by almost anyone. With the exception of two or three days, there is a town/village or city with accommodation about every six to 10 km's.

The Camino is much safer than most places in the world. That said, you should always take normal precautions.

Read through the forum threads. Go to REI and get a good fitted pack and hiking shoes. As your feet go so goes your Camino.

Start slowly and ease your body into walking a half marathon everyday for a month. Pack as light as possible, the Camino will teach you how little you need.
Listen to your body, if you feel a rub or friction stop and address it now. The Camino will take care of the rest.

I am leaving myself for another Camino on Tuesday.

Ultreya and Go White Sox,
Joe

Hey Joe,

Great to see a fellow Chicagoan on here (even if you are a sox fan)! Have you walked Le Puy by any chance?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Sorry to be aguafiesta.

Check out the legal bit about Schengen Visa ... it lets you stay in Europe for 90 days out of every 180.

90 days is not likely enough time to walk from Le Puy en Velay to Santiago. A lot of people break it up into Le Puy to St Jean de Pied de Port (SJPdP) and then make a second trip from SJPdP to Santiago.

Take the tram from Lyon Airport to Lyon. (if you try to take the SNCF train from Lyon Airport you get the round trip via Paris).

Buen Camino

Hey Whari,

Just going off of what others have said, it seems that Le Puy to Santiago is roughly a 65-80 day trip. Have you walked it and seen otherwise? Thanks for your advice!

Hey Joe,

Great to see a fellow Chicagoan on here (even if you are a sox fan)! Have you walked Le Puy by any chance?

Hey Tommy:

I have walked several Camino's but never from Le Puy. I struggle enough with basic Spanish let alone have to deal with French. There are others on the forum that have started from Le Puy and will be more than willing to share there experience.

Btw, there is a Chicago APOC (American Pilgrims on the Camino) group that does a hike the 2nd Saturday of every month. If you are interested let me know and I can connect you to the group. I leave Tuesday on my 7th Camino.

There are several addicts on this site.

Ultreya,
Joe

Enjoy. I've seen romances blossom into marriage on the way. Time will tell.
Buen camino to you and girlfriend.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Whari,

Just going off of what others have said, it seems that Le Puy to Santiago is roughly a 65-80 day trip. Have you walked it and seen otherwise? Thanks for your advice!

I've only walked the section from SJPdP to Santiago. I took 43 days. If I were to do it again I would take more no-days.

Hello Tommy,
I always said every engaged couple should walk the Camino together. You see each other in the worst and best moods, without the aide of excessive makeup, constant wardrobe changes, and soft lighting. You will know how she is (and she will know you) when she is tired, hungry, soaked with cold rain and miserable with blisters. All this and each night you will sleep in separate bunk beds!
But you will also learn how each of you treat strangers, with kindness or fear, what you each are willing to part with as your packs get heavy, and what burdens you both are willing to share, physical and emotional and spiritual.
Remember the Camino is not just a trek, you will be unburdening your heart and soul, letting go of all your pain and sorrow, as she will too. Your faith will guide you.
Be gentle to each other. Allow the other person to feel and react and be totally in the moment. The memories and experiences you have on your Camino will change your life. I hope other couples that have walked the Camino will share their experiences with you.
I wish you a Buen Camino dear.

Hey Whari,

Tommy:

I checked out the map and Le Puy to SJPdP is 700 km's. At 25 km's per day or 15 miles per day (a very average pace) you could walk this section in 28 days or 30 with a couple of days rest. The Frances from SJPdP is 800 km's or a 32 days walk at 25 km's a day, add 3 rest days and you have 35 days. Therefore, I think 65-70 days is easily doable leaving 20-25 days to sight-see, deal with an injury, travel to other parts of Spain or Europe. You have plenty of time.

Ultreya,
Joe

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Sorry to be aguafiesta.

Buen Camino

I am flying into Lyon on 4 May. I only have until 2 June and am flying out of Madrid, but trying to change it to Lisbon.
I'm going to have to "cheat" a bit with trains to make it to Santiago in that time. I don't really want to "come back" and do it and I have flights booked/paid.
How do I avoid the crowds?

Hi: The Le Puy route is a wonderful experience. It passes through pretty towns and villages and beautiful scenery. It is very well marked with the red & white balises that you find on the French trails. It is not impossible, but it is fairly difficult to get lost. There is also lots of accommodation, but at least early on you might be better off booking a day in advance. From my experience, there will likely be quite a few people starting off at Le Puy, but those numbers will gradually taper off, especially after Conques (i.e. roughly the first ten days). You will likely find that there are a lot of French pilgrims/walkers on the route, so you should practise a good "Bonjour", "Merci", etc., etc. It is not an easy route - there are a lot of uphills and downhills - but if you take it easy and at your own pace, there is nothing that a person of average fitness can't do. You will have a great time. Bon Chemin!

I am flying into Lyon on 4 May. I only have until 2 June and am flying out of Madrid, but trying to change it to Lisbon.
I'm going to have to "cheat" a bit with trains to make it to Santiago in that time. I don't really want to "come back" and do it and I have flights booked/paid.
How do I avoid the crowds?

I don't know how to answer your question. If I only had 4 weeks ... I'd start in one place and walk for 4 weeks ... then I'd go home.

Santiago is just this pile of rocks in the middle of Galicia. If your aim is to walk to Santiago ... start walking a LOT closer than Lyon.

As for crowds ... I find train stations attract crowds.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Bonjour my friends,

The past 2 weeks have been crazy and I got pulled away. Great news is that everything is now official and we will be starting our camino on May 20th. My lady will be visiting her sister in Italy, I will fly into Rome to meet her, we'll spend a day there and fly to Lyon.

I'm about to secure packs now and it looks like we'll both be carrying 35l. We intend on going as lean as possible. The main issues I'm having is clothing/footwear. My concerns are primarily weather related.

For footwear I'm trying to find a balance between breathable and waterproof (resistant) because I know it will be hot in the middle of summer but also, there's nothing more miserable than wet shoes. In term of the terrain, I'm also trying to find a balance between support and comfort.

Questions:
Breathable for the summer heat or waterproof for those rainy days?
Comfort of a hiking shoe or the support of a boot?

For clothing should we bother packing a long sleeve sweater or any warmth oriented clothing? Again, we're going to be there during the hottest summer months but I'm unsure about possible weather fluctuations at the higher elevations in France and going through the Pyrenees.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

In Christ

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone. My travelling companion and I are currently on the Camino, arriving in Carrion de Los Condes tomorrow. A situation has come up where we wish to modify our Camino and still...
How do you save your iPhone content (Picture & Videos) while on the trail? Last year I bought a thumb-drive that plugged right into my phone and downloaded my content religiously & daily only to...
Anyone else beginning in SJPP tomorrow October 18?
If you are planning to start a Camino in FEBRUARY 2025, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hey, my name is Joe and I live In Colorado Springs, Colorado. Just beginning the planning process for the Camino. We are shooting for late September/October of 2026! One question tho... can we...
Hello everybody. I am planning to start my first Camino around May/June next year. I am gathering all possibile information and I'd like to thank you all in advance for the advice I will receive.

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back