• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rome - Arles - Roncevaux route advice

GavinSkull

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues / Camino Frances
Hi, I would like some advice from people who have walked from Rome to France to Spain. I would like to know how the infrastructure, hostels, and general social and walking experience compares to Spain. Cost of hostels and food is my main concern, as I believe Italy is more expensive than Spain and also proably the coastal regions of France. I would like to see if I can walk to Roncevaux and then decide what other routes I would like to do from there. Last year I walked the Del Norte and '22 the Francais.

I just discovered this is the end part of the Via Francigena and I would be walking backwards to the normal route. The route backwards would be the same from Rome to Massia then I would follow the coast to Genoa then Nice.

I looked at the distances to break them down a bit. I'm trying to decide which parts I might want to walk this year and do another part next year.

Rome to Lucca 326km
Lucca to Genoa 172km
Genoa to Monaco 208km
Monaco to Marseille 209km
Marseille to Arles 85km
Has anyone walked this way?

Update
I found this useful on differences:

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello
If you already walked the 2-mentioned routes than you reasonably know the infrastructure. Yes some hostels may have closed in 2 years but some others opened and overall IMHO the "infrastructure" changed little. Not sure about "social aspect" - if you are an outgoing person than you'll chat with as many folks as you want. If making friends comes easy to you than thats what it will be. If you like to keep to yourself - chances are nobody will bother you during your private times.
As per recent consensus the average cost of Camino Frances now-a-days is pegged at about 50E\day. if yu budget this much IMHO you can't go wrong. If it winds up being less - thats a pleasant surprize for you and go ahead and treat yourself to "something extra" either by having a rest day and splurging on food\sightseeing or wait until SdC and go ape there 😁

Good luck and Buen Camino

I can tell you that Italy is GENERALLY more expensive than Spain. EXCEPT if you buy street food (in a "Rosticceria" or "Pizza al taglio", etc.) or you find small places in the rural areas. I am not sure about the southern coast of France.

BTW, I would be curious to know how long you expect this walk to last. Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello
If you already walked the 2-mentioned routes than you reasonably know the infrastructure. Yes some hostels may have closed in 2 years but some others opened and overall IMHO the "infrastructure" changed little. Not sure about "social aspect" - if you are an outgoing person than you'll chat with as many folks as you want. If making friends comes easy to you than thats what it will be. If you like to keep to yourself - chances are nobody will bother you during your private times.
As per recent consensus the average cost of Camino Frances now-a-days is pegged at about 50E\day. if yu budget this much IMHO you can't go wrong. If it winds up being less - thats a pleasant surprize for you and go ahead and treat yourself to "something extra" either by having a rest day and splurging on food\sightseeing or wait until SdC and go ape there 😁

Hi, I am specifically interested in finding put what the Rome to Arles part is like: the infrastructure - hostels and the popularity of it. I assume it's less travelled than Spanish routes, this is what I meant by social experience to be able to meet people - I am a very sociable person and like the community and this part of the experience.

Have you walked Rome - Arles - Roncevaux part?

I have walked Francais/Del Norte/Primitivo/Portugese last stage so I know that the infrastructure is very good on those routes. I am asking what the Rome - Arles - Roncevaux part is like. I appreciate your reply but guessing you can't help me here.

Also I can generally budget around €25 a day on average. Sometimes hostels can be as little a €6 and €10 food, more expensive in the cities and some days I treat myself. I'm wondering if there are also cheap "municipalidades" run by pilgrim associations and parishes, churches.

Last edited:
I can tell you that Italy is GENERALLY more expensive than Spain. EXCEPT if you buy street food (in a "Rosticceria" or "Pizza al taglio", etc.) or you find small places in the rural areas. I am not sure about the southern coast of France.

BTW, I would be curious to know how long you expect this walk to last. Thanks!
Yes, I have visited Italy many times on holiday but are there pilgrim menus in Italy? I expect there are some restaurants that offer budget meals for travellers and locals alike esp. in the small towns.

@GavinSkull - OK I'm sorry I misunderstood your post. No I have never walked the Rome - Arles - Roncevaux partso i guess you can safely disregard my post :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@GavinSkull - OK I'm sorry I misunderstood your post. No I have never walked the Rome - Arles - Roncevaux partso i guess you can safely disregard my post :)

Thanks for your reply anyway. I have posted this in other routes in France as shouldn't be here and didn't find any threads for Italy.

I replied in the other thread but this was my idea for Rome-Arles:
  1. Via Francigena (backwards): Rome - Portonetti (21 stages, 495km)
  2. Sentiero Liguria: Portonetti - Ventimiglia-Menton: 30 stages, 675km)
  3. Via Aurelia GR 653A: Menton - Arles (15 stages, 393km)

Hey, GavinSkull. Hope you get a definitive answer for Italy/France, but from skimming discussions on accommodations, there doesn't seem to be a lot of equivalents to municipal albergues in Spain. I see a lot of references to gites in France running between 30-50 euro/ night.

BTW, as of Sep 23, I believe munis/Xuntas in Galicia were up to 10 euro, and private albergues on the Primitivo I know were up to 15 euro/ night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey, GavinSkull. Hope you get a definitive answer for Italy/France, but from skimming discussions on accommodations, there doesn't seem to be a lot of equivalents to municipal albergues in Spain. I see a lot of references to gites in France running between 30-50 euro/ night.

BTW, as of Sep 23, I believe munis/Xuntas in Galicia were up to 10 euro, and private albergues on the Primitivo I know were up to 15 euro/ night.

I was keen to do part of the Via Francigena but what I read on this blog put me off a bit. a) It's more expensive, that I knew but was thinking it would still be sociable. So I'm back to Spain to re-walk parts of the Francais and Del Norte, Primitivo and make up my own route and have a nice time hanging out. Italy maybe next year.

Yes, I have visited Italy many times on holiday but are there pilgrim menus in Italy? I expect there are some restaurants that offer budget meals for travellers and locals alike esp. in the small towns.
I asked a friend that did parts of the Francigena (one branch passed litterally "through" his home). He told me that when you make reservations if you declare that you are a walker they give you special prices. There are also places that issue a paper certifying that you are doing the walk.

Last edited:
My French son-in-law and I walked 5 days this past October on the Chemin Arles, from Pau to Somport Pass. We stayed in maison d'hotes, chambres d'hotes, relais, auberges, refuges and gites. Much more expensive than the rest of our walk on the Caminos Aragones and Frances in Spain. But, great food, friendly people and charming countryside. I could not have navigated the accommodations without my accompanying French speaker. Bon Chemin

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
There will the some municipal gites in France but they are usually reserved through the town hall which may only be open a few days/hours per week. Some towns may not have restaurants/bakeries/grocery stores so you may need to plan in advance. I always took the demi-pension when available so I would be ensured of something to eat. Have a look at Gronze for planning as the Voie d'Arles is listed.

Hi, I would like some advice from people who have walked from Rome to France to Spain. I would like to know how the infrastructure, hostels, and general social and walking experience compares to Spain. Cost of hostels and food is my main concern, as I believe Italy is more expensive than Spain and also proably the coastal regions of France. I would like to see if I can walk to Roncevaux and then decide what other routes I would like to do from there. Last year I walked the Del Norte and '22 the Francais.

I just discovered this is the end part of the Via Francigena and I would be walking backwards to the normal route. The route backwards would be the same from Rome to Massia then I would follow the coast to Genoa then Nice.

I looked at the distances to break them down a bit. I'm trying to decide which parts I might want to walk this year and do another part next year.

Rome to Lucca 326km
Lucca to Genoa 172km
Genoa to Monaco 208km
Marseille to Arles 85km

Update
We walked from Marseille(tomb of Mary Magdaline) to Pau, Samport Pass, Jaca and stops along the Argonees to tie up with the France and back to Saint Jean Pid de Port. I don't recall the names of the places we stayed, but we had no issues with availability.

I was keen to do part of the Via Francigena but what I read on this blog put me off a bit. a) It's more expensive, that I knew but was thinking it would still be sociable. So I'm back to Spain to re-walk parts of the Francais and Del Norte, Primitivo and make up my own route and have a nice time hanging out. Italy maybe next year.

There is no need to re-walk the Norte, Francés or Primitivo although I've done all three more than once😉. If your €25 budget is a priority there are other Caminos you can walk which are more reasonable than for example the Norte. There will be fewer pilgrims (unless you walk in April/May) but the Vía de la Plata is imho a great walk and I was surprised to see this past summer that on the Sanabrés portion some albergues were still €5!

I've never walked in Italy and only a week from Le Puy but €25 on that route would not even get you a demi-pension. Some gîtes didn't even want my business if I only wanted a bed. There are some municipal gîtes but by far not in every town (I had planned out 3 weeks but had an excruciating toothache and needed to return home). From my reading here on other French routes, even pitching your tent in a camp ground would cost you at least €15. Spain is still by far the least expensive of the three countries.

Good luck deciding!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17

Rome to Lucca 326km
Lucca to Genoa 172km
Genoa to Monaco 208km
Marseille to Arles 85km

Update
Hi, I’ve walked the Camino Frances (2013) and the Camino del Norte ( 2023) and the Lucca (San Miniato for us) to Rome section of the Via Francigena (2018) with a small group of friends, and would say that the Guy on the Road blog is accurate in terms of the comparisons. San Miniato to Rome was a fantastic walk, quite tough in parts because of the number of hills and the May /June heat that year, but beautiful and interesting, travelling through stunning countryside, villages, towns and cities like Sienna. It was however significantly more costly than the Spanish Caminos and you met fewer walkers/ pilgrims. Unless you’re camping (we weren’t) I’d say you most probably spend at least €50 per day on the VF on accommodation and food.

I'm not really in a situation to comment now, as I am walking in France myself, but one point :

The sections of your proposed route would be - -

1) A section of the Francigena until somewhere near Lucca (not backwards but on the Cammino de San Giacomo)

2) The Via della Costa to Menton (Monaco would be a detour BTW)

3) The Provençal Way to Arles

4) The Arles Way etc.

It would be best to ask for information about these sections in individual threads, as these routes are quite different to each other in several respects.

Can't help much BTW as my last time between Monaco and Rome was about 25 years ago, and as to the Provençal Way, things change quickly on that one from year to year, and it's 5 years since my last time.

Some information is available from the PACA pilgrims association.

https://www.compostelle-paca-corse.info/organiser-pelerinage/hebergements

There is one actual Albergue on the Provençal Way at Puget-sur-Argens.

Last edited:
I replied in the other thread but this was my idea for Rome-Arles:
  1. Via Francigena (backwards): Rome - Portonetti (21 stages, 495km)
  2. Sentiero Liguria: Portonetti - Ventimiglia-Menton: 30 stages, 675km)
  3. Via Aurelia GR 653A: Menton - Arles (15 stages, 393km)
I second that itinerary. I have walked it over various my caminos. For the part in the middle, look up Via della Costa, I think that is its italian name.

As I did it all pre-covid, I cannot speak of the current prices, but then I found Italy's pilgrim ostellos to be between Spain's and France's in terms of price. I mostly used kitchens if they were available or got pizza.

Via Aurelia has a guidebook published by FFRP, I think. Otherwise look up PACA-Corse section if les Amis de st Jacques.

I've just seen JabbaPapa's response. He is from the region.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On the website of the Via Francigena you can find info about accomodations. At least for the part that you'll be walking in reverse in Italy:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.