• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Review Clothing Management

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances10, Norte11, Frances16, Primitivo23
I have perused many well written posts regarding clothing and equipment, I agree...adapt...and adopt many.
It is with concern I notice 'the maximum conditions associated to the clothing recommended is not qualified'.
Future pilgrims planning their camino are creating a 'kit', not on comfort and safety, but believing verbatim on extreme light weight.

My observational experience precipitated this post:
I came upon two shivering, bare legged, flimsy poncho clad pilgrims, literally pouring water out of their low gortex shoes, they were close to hypothermia. No relief for kilometers. No let-up on the horizon. We huddled in front of a locked, double bolted door of steel ( the entrance to a "Refuge Hut") .... no one died .... they were lucky.

A lightly clad athletic body cannot outpace the loss of body heat during severe environmental conditions
( juxtapose for hot weather extremes ).

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Future pilgrims planning their camino are creating a 'kit', not on comfort and safety, but believing verbatim on
extreme light weight.
I have read many post and commented myself on kit weight. However, I don’t recall anyone recommending “extreme” light weight. And to paraphrase @Anhalter, a light weight kit is not synonymous with inappropriate packing for a Camino.

I don’t want to downplay for even a second the seriousness of the situation you encountered. However, it is ultimately the responsibility of each pilgrim to pack the appropriate gear based on the Camino they are walking, the season or time of the year, and their own individual needs that only they are best aware of.

I will admit that for my first Camino I carried too much at the beginning. Very quickly, I pared down my kit of non-essential items. Over the years now, I have focused of what is necessary to carry for the very issues of comfort and safety. Although I have significantly reduced the weight I now carry, I do carry the items I need for the various conditions that I might encounter on the trail. Again, I have not seen anyone advocating for extreme low weight, although some people do have very light packs, at the expense of what one should appropriate carry for varying weather and terrain conditions.

I really do hope that people pack appropriately and at the same time manage the weight that they carry. However, if one does choose to go “stupid light” there’s really no excuse for it with all the good information that exists on this Forum and elsewhere on what one should carry to cover the various conditions that they could encounter.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
There’s some guy on the “Seniors on the Camino” Facebook page touting his 1 kg kit! It’s absolutely absurd. The worst part is his arrogance when questioned about why he has left out many necessities. He seems intent on being condescending to anyone who walks the Camino with a well thought out kit that balances light weight with preparedness, telling people they can’t argue with him because he’s an “ultra long distance, ultra lightweight hiker”.
I have perused many well written posts regarding clothing and equipment, I agree...adapt...and adopt many.
It is with concern I notice 'the maximum conditions associated to the clothing recommended is not qualified'.
Future pilgrims planning their camino are creating a 'kit', not on comfort and safety, but believing verbatim on
extreme light weight.

My observational experience precipitated this post:
I came upon two shivering, bare legged, flimsy poncho clad pilgrims, literally pouring water out of their low gortex
shoes, they were close to hypothermia. No relief for kilometers. No let-up on the horizon. We huddled in front of
a locked, double bolted door of steel ( the entrance to a "Refuge Hut") .... no one died .... they were lucky.

A lightly clad athletic body cannot outpace the loss of body heat during severe environmental conditions ( juxtapose
for hot weather extremes ).

We walked from the Mediterrean to MuxĂ­a last fall, starting in crazy hot weather and ending in a month of daily, pretty cold rain. We met a lovely fellow pilgrim pretty early on our walk who, in response to the initial hot, dry weather, abandoned all her cold weather and rain gear. As it got colder and wetter, she started buying the kit she needed at Decathlon stores along the way. Maybe it was an expensive lesson, but she did manage to walk the first half without as much weight. So who's to know whether she was foolish or not.

I guess the moral of this story is that, provided you're not caught in a life-threatening situtation, it's pretty easy to change course and get the kit you need on a camino, even on a more lightly-walked camino like the Via de la Plata.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
other than that two people were unsuitably clothed.
I wrote this back when: "I met two ladies “of a certain age” walking the Pennine way in shorts, vests (and I’m sure other essentials but I did not enquire (or look to closely). As I stood there in my poncho and gaiters and other attempts at water proofing they chuckled. To be honest, they mocked. “Skin is waterproof, nothing else is!” I recall Bill Bryson reporting a similar encounter. I’ve occasionally wondered if it was the same pair of bloody lunatics but have never tried to compare dates

If nothing else hopefully this post from @Teddie might make a newbie rethink leaving out a warm layer. All too often people take the advice "if you haven't got enough Gear you can pick something up in the next town" too literally.

You have to get to the next town first, and as the post clearly says - that was some kms away.

I don’t want to downplay for even a second the seriousness of the situation you encountered. However, it is ultimately the responsibility of each pilgrim to pack the appropriate gear based on the Camino they are walking, the season or time of the year, and their own individual needs that only they are best aware of
Absolutely

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
I wrote this back when: "I met two ladies “of a certain age” walking the Pennine way in shorts, vests (and I’m sure other essentials but I did not enquire (or look to closely). As I stood there in my poncho and gaiters and other attempts at water proofing they chuckled. To be honest, they mocked. “Skin is waterproof, nothing else is!” I recall Bill Bryson reporting a similar encounter. I’ve occasionally wondered if it was the same pair of bloody lunatics but have never tried to compare dates
Reminds me of a Days We Spend video I saw (the guy only carries a large waist pack) and the two of them were in super cold rain in shorts because they pack so light they didn't have warmer clothing. They then cut their trip short. And these are Camino YouTubers. Needless to say, I was not impressed by this particular video of theirs. Sorry if they are on here and read this and are offended. But it seemed pretty foolish to me.

There’s some guy on the “Seniors on the Camino” Facebook page touting his 1 kg kit! It’s absolutely absurd. The worst part is his arrogance when questioned about why he has left out many necessities. He seems intent on being condescending to anyone who walks the Camino with a well thought out kit that balances light weight with preparedness, telling people they can’t argue with him because he’s an “ultra long distance, ultra lightweight hiker”.
That's the guy you will hear about on the news.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I pack heavier than some would opt for themselves - my pack is 1.7kg before I start packing a single item in it, but it’s super-comfy, so hey - but my Altus and a fleece are non-negotiable.

It all comes down to that old saw:

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just unsuitable clothing!"
(credited to Alfred Wainwright, veteran fell walker in the UK)

It sounds like they were fine and you were a bit judgemental (and ageist). If they weren’t cold, then I can’t see the problem. I myself always pack thermals and wet weather gear, but lots of experienced hikers don”t mind a bit of rain, as long as it’ not too cold. It sounds like they were completely comfortable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It sounds like they were fine and you were a bit judgemental (and ageist). If they weren’t cold, then I can’t see the problem. I myself always pack thermals and wet weather gear, but lots of experienced hikers don”t mind a bit of rain, as long as it’ not too cold. It sounds like they were completely comfortable.
My point entirely. And it’s a philosophy I’ve long adopted

Most read last week in this forum

Perhaps does not totally relates to Camino (although I can see some Pilgrims using them on mountainous paths) Does anyone know if crampons are OK to take in carry-on or, like most poles, they...
I have perused many well written posts regarding clothing and equipment, I agree...adapt...and adopt many. It is with concern I notice 'the maximum conditions associated to the clothing...
Hi everyone, Leaving last Tuesday from Santiago airport I saw a lot of pilgrims with backpacks and walking poles. Is it allowed? Thank you! Elvira
Camino Credential is that with stamps or without
I've been looking at this particular collapsible umbrella but am concerned that it's shorter handle would interfere with a hands-free application. I'd like to hear from people who have experience...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.