• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Restaurant featured in "The Way"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
The restaurant where Tom and Joost first meet is the Oillarburu in St Jean PdP. I took a photo of its frontage. Between two logos of Kronenbourg it says, "Bar-Restaurant Paxkal Oillarburu" I wondered what this meant, so I put it in Google Translate from Basque to English. It gave me "Easter Cock head". Further searches gave "the head" for "buru" and "rooster" for "oillar". This seems to be a strange name for a bar or restaurant. Can anyone suggest what this refers to? Thanks.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
"Oillarburu" is a Basque family name and "Paxkal" is the Basque version of the given name "Pascal". So I suspect the restaurant is simply named after its founder or owner. This website makes a couple of suggestions for the origin of the family name: https://en.nomorigine.com/origin-of-surname/oillarburu/
That seems reasonable. But I thought it a bit odd that the website linked to suggests that the name derives from 'oi' = elm tree and 'larre' = meadow, without mentioning that 'oillar' means cock or rooster. And GT says that elm tree is zumarragarra in Basque. I suppose that 'oi' meant elm tree centuries ago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
thought it a bit odd that the website linked to suggests that the name derives from 'oi' = elm tree and 'larre' = meadow, without mentioning that 'oillar' means cock or rooster.
If you look up the English family name Pillsbury online you may find websites that say that this surname is a habitational name from a place in Derbyshire, so named from the genitive of the Old English personal name Pīl +burh (dative byrig) 'fortified place'. Would you then think it a bit odd that the website does not mention that a pill is a small round mass of solid medicine for swallowing whole and bury means to put or hide underground? I wouldn't.

It's the same situation for the etymology of the Basque surname Oillarburu.

And of course when I put Pillsbury into Google Translate it gives me Pilulesbury in French where pilules is French for English pills and bury does not exist in French. You just have to accept what sources and people with linguistic or etymological knowledge tell you, mere dictionaries or GT can deliver nonsense or mislead when left to its own devices.

Last edited:
If you look up the English family name Pillsbury online you may find websites that say that this surname is a habitational name from a place in Derbyshire, so named from the genitive of the Old English personal name Pīl +burh (dative byrig) 'fortified place'. Would you then think it a bit odd that the website does not mention that a pill is a small round mass of solid medicine for swallowing whole and bury means to put or hide underground? I wouldn't.

It's the same situation for the etymology of the Basque surname Oillarburu.

And of course when I put Pillsbury into Google Translate it gives me Pilulesbury in French where pilules is French for English pills and bury does not exist in French. You just have to accept what sources and people with linguistic or etymological knowledge tell you, mere dictionaries or GT can deliver nonsense or mislead when left to its own devices.
They can say that. But we know that Pillsbury is really named after the place where expired medication is buried. ;-)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Please, Moderator, close this thread before the 'jokes' get any worse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back