• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Recommendations for which route?

IntlGuyJim

Time of past OR future Camino
Apr/May 2025
My wife and I (late 60's & early mid 70"s) are planning to walk just enough miles to earn the certificate. We've both had recent surgery that makes a longer trek seem too challenging (though hope to recover enough to take another stab someday....) We're both completely bilingual, she speaking Spanish as her native language, me as my second (since moving to latinamerica at age 7, and undergoing complete immersion.) I also can fake my way through some Portunol if needed.

My question is: Which of the three routes that make just over 100km is most recommended, and why? One factor is, we (especially my wife) will need to start the first few days with short distances, while we build stamina, so need plentiful options for lodging close together:

- End of French route, starting at Sarria;

- the English route, starting at Ferrol;

- the Portuguese route, starting at Tui

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All three routes could be good options for various reasons, but I would suggest the Ingles. It's a beautiful walk and you will have completed an entire camino.

You can easily break up the first two traditional sections in half to start.

Ferrol - Neda
Neda - Pontedeume
Pontedeume - Mino
Mino - Betanzos
The rest of the stages can be split also.

Thanks! Any particular albuergas you would recommend?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is also a couple of other routes on the Sanabres which you can start in Ourense (easy to get to on.the train from Madrid or Santiago) or the last part of the Invierno from Monteforte de Lemos which joins the Sanabres.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum