• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for 3rd Camino

larry1948

Time of past OR future Camino
September 9 - October 15, 2022
SJPP - Santiago
76 year old male looking to do another Camino around April 2025. Completed CF from SJPP in 2022 and Portuguese from Porto earlier this year. I’ve looked at del Norte, but wanted to keep days about 20 km. Looks like many longer days are necessary. Do enjoy meeting other pilgrims, so I’m less inclined towards the least popular routes. Save repeating all or a portion of the CF, I’m looking for routes to consider. Thank you in advance.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I agee with @falcon269 - why not consider Moissac to SJPP? No Compostela but an incredible experience. About 350 km, just a few days longer than the CP.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
There's one stage in the Primitivo that's hard to do under 20km...you have to pick the 2 day route through Pola de Allende rather than go through Hospitales.

Other than that, the early Primitivo is hillier for longer than the same time frame on either the Frances or the Portuguese. If you choose to walk it, plan more days than the guides say.

Buen Camino.

There's one stage in the Primitivo that's hard to do under 20km...you have to pick the 2 day route through Pola de Allende rather than go through Hospitales.

Other than that, the early Primitivo is hillier for longer than the same time frame on either the Frances or the Portuguese. If you choose to walk it, plan more days than the guides say.

Buen Camino.
Agree this! And also that while not too crowded, definitely enough people in April/May to meet and socialize with if you are looking for that kind of experience; I walked Norte/Primitivo in 2023 and walked with a lot of really interesting people. However, I would recommend starting on the Norte before the Primitivo if you have time - maybe in Bilbao if you don't have the time or want to avoid that chilienging first week of the Norte. It would give you some walking warmup before you hit the steeper elevation gain on the Primitivo. Spring was beautiful, flowers blooming, the coastal portions breathtaking.

I'm considering returning Spring 2025, but also considering Le Puy en Velay to walk through France, which was also recommended above. I speak French (and spent many days on my first Camino only speaking French with pilgrims who spoke no or limited English, which was a treat for me) so I would enjoy it for that reason as well; I've read posts on this forum that some find it less English-friendly if that's a concern for you. I haven't explored deeply enough to comment if Le Puy is compatible with your daily distance concerns. Maybe I should have added that I wilI be 66 for my 2025 Camino

Last edited:
The Via Lemovicensis from Vézelay to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port is very nice. I walked it this spring and there were always other pilgrims on the road. And enough pilgrim infrastructure too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you all for the thought provoking replies.

I’d go for the Le Puy en Velay Larry. It’s a beautiful route, really interesting old towns and stunning natural scenery. Plenty pilgrims too, though you will probably get some rain in April. Infrastructure is good too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have the same question! after the Francés and the Primitivo, which Camino. I am seriously thinking about Conques to Saint-Jean! My French would definitely need some brushing up, but I would enjoy that. Am comments? I am 81!

76 year old male looking to do another Camino around April 2025. Completed CF from SJPP in 2022 and Portuguese from Porto earlier this year. I’ve looked at del Norte, but wanted to keep days about 20 km. Looks like many longer days are necessary. Do enjoy meeting other pilgrims, so I’m less inclined towards the least popular routes. Save repeating all or a portion of the CF, I’m looking for routes to consider. Thank you in advance.
Look to south Spain routes: Malaga-Cordoba; Almeria-Grenada: Cordoba-Merida; Cadiz-Seville; Seville-Merida. All well signed, plenty accommodation without too long a stretch; generally less busy; plus more delightful rural areas to walk through! Whatever, BC.

I have the same question! after the Francés and the Primitivo, which Camino. I am seriously thinking about Conques to Saint-Jean! My French would definitely need some brushing up, but I would enjoy that. Am comments? I am 81!
All I can say is that it's a hell of a start to a Camino if starting in Conques. The stairs and hill to get out of Conques was one of the most difficult stages on the Camino for me (in my 70's), and it was in the middle of our Camino. If you decide to start there, take it easy on the first day. I am posting a graphic of the elevation profile of that stage, and here is the entry from my blog for that day "The horizontal measurement is 5 km per rectangle, and the vertical is 200 metres. Therefore, in about 4 kms of walking we descended about 1,000 ft (300 meters) and then we had to immediately climb that same 1,000 ft. It was very steep and gruelling!" Our target for that day was Noailhac ... and we made it!

You may want to consider starting in Livinhac-le-Haut, generally the first stage after Conques. Bon chemin! You will love the people, the vistas ... and especially the cheeses!

Conques.jpg

Primitivo for sure. My favorite by a mile out of seven walks so far.
It's a little hilly in spots, but very beautiful and not crowded...or at least in wasn't in the fall of 2018.

All I can say is that it's a hell of a start to a Camino if starting in Conques. The stairs and hill to get out of Conques was one of the most difficult stages on the Camino for me (in my 70's), and it was in the middle of our Camino. If you decide to start there, take it easy on the first day. I am posting a graphic of the elevation profile of that stage, and here is the entry from my blog for that day "The horizontal measurement is 5 km per rectangle, and the vertical is 200 metres. Therefore, in about 4 kms of walking we descended about 1,000 ft (300 meters) and then we had to immediately climb that same 1,000 ft. It was very steep and gruelling!" Our target for that day was Noailhac ... and we made it!

You may want to consider starting in Livinhac-le-Haut, generally the first stage after Conques. Bon chemin! You will love the people, the vistas ... and especially the cheeses!

View attachment 177318
Great information! Thanks so much!!

Most read last week in this forum

A question for couples of different sexes: do you sleep separately in the albergues? Do you pay more, and/or is it more complicated to book, to sleep in the same dorm (in separate bunk beds, of...
This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.