Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Re: Post-Camino Blues

AlexanderCook

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Good evening, everyone:

I have recently returned from walking the Camino Frances from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela, my first Camino. It was a deeply moving experience for me and one which I am still actively processing ten days out from my return.

Two days prior to the end of the Camino in Santiago, I knew that I'd like to walk again - whether a section of the Frances, the Portuguese route or the Via De La Plata - and that has not changed since returning home. In fact, the urge to walk Camino is even stronger now. It has definitely been an adjustment to return to "the real world". Anyone else struggle with shaking off the Camino? How'd you get over it/cope with it?

Also, I walked my first Camino with a church group. I'd appreciate recommendations for my next Camino - should I go alone? Which route or which sections of which route? (I'll likely be restricted to about 7 to 10 days in terms of time off.)

As always, thank you for the advice. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Alexander. The Camino can be a very intense experience and coming back to the 'real world' can seem like a let down and easing back into your usual routine can take a while. Planning your next Camino can certainly help. I would suggest walking alone next time as I think you would meet more people an have a better experience than with a large group. The Camino Ingles is a fairly short route you could complete in the time you ave available, or a section of the Portuguese from Porto or the Sanabres from Ourense. Plenty of others to choose from as well. Buen Camino!

Good evening, everyone:

I have recently returned from walking the Camino Frances from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela, my first Camino. It was a deeply moving experience for me and one which I am still actively processing ten days out from my return.

Two days prior to the end of the Camino in Santiago, I knew that I'd like to walk again - whether a section of the Frances, the Portuguese route or the Via De La Plata - and that has not changed since returning home. In fact, the urge to walk Camino is even stronger now. It has definitely been an adjustment to return to "the real world". Anyone else struggle with shaking off the Camino? How'd you get over it/cope with it?

Also, I walked my first Camino with a church group. I'd appreciate recommendations for my next Camino - should I go alone? Which route or which sections of which route? (I'll likely be restricted to about 7 to 10 days in terms of time off.)

Alexander,

Welcome. Many of us have experienced exactly what you’re feeling if that’s a consolation. I’ve now walked 3 Camino’s including the Francés, Inglés and the Aragónes/Francés all offer different things and experiences.

Parts of the Francés that you’ve not experienced offer some beautiful cities and rural experiences.

The Inglés is an interesting route and Betanzos is a wonderful city. Very different than what you experienced.

In April, we started the Aragónes in France, part of the Chemin d’Arles, over the Somport Pass and then across Aragón to Puente la Reina. Much more remote, rugged and beautiful.

You could do any stretch of the Francés, the entire Inglés or the Aragónes in 7-10 days. There are so many options besides these.

What do you want in your Camino? Some of the routes are more challenging, some less so be aware of that.

If you never return to Spain, your Camino always continues, if you want it to.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You got the itch then?
It will never leave you. Members of your family will think you mad. But you will go again, and again.
I strongly recommend travelling alone next time. Your first experience was probably constantly with the same group of friends throughout.
Travel alone, talk to fellow pilgrims, make new friends, come back stronger and better.
And go again.

My personal objective is to walk a Camino when aged 80.

You WILL be back. Most of us start planning our next Camino as soon as we unpack, clean then repack our rucksacks at home. I have found that he easiest way to store all my Camino gear is to keep it packed - except for things that are also used at home. I keep a list of those items at the top of the rucksack so I have a final packing checklist.

Hope this helps. It works for me.

Tom

Last edited:
Alexander, there's a current thread underway on the blues:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/post-camino-re-entry.87455/

I shared a quote from @andonius on that thread that you may find worth reading.

Many of us suffer from this. Even more of us return to the camino again and again even if we don't suffer from The Blues. Taking long walks and planning for the next helps, but realistically the only cure lies within your self.

As to your next Camino: personally I prefer to travel alone rather than with a group, both the Inglès or Portuguese are very easy to access and have great infrastructure. Additionally there is loads of information available on them so they're extremely easy to sketch out or even fully plan by yourself.

If your 7 to 10 days includes travelling time then obviously you've only got five to eight days on trail. So:

I, too, loved the Inglès, but it's a little short - only 5 days. Still, you could use extra time well and spend a day exploring Ferrol before leaving. Or take a couple of short trips once you're finished - to A Coruna for example. Super easy to access from Santiago.

5 days will also get you to Santiago from Tui.

On both of these caminos you could take more time should you wish and make them 6 - 8 days.

If you actually have 10 days to walk, you could complete the Inglés and go on to Finisterre.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good evening, everyone:

Def go solo!
Does anyone else struggle with "shaking off" the Camino? You bet they do!
I cope by practicing being as "in the moment " at home as I was on the Camino and as I fall asleep at night I relive my journeys. I also practice gratitude by realizing how fortunate I am to have had the opportunity to walk the Camino twice, and I try not to be overly eager for my third (it's difficult). I stay in touch via Whatsapp with my Camino buddies and share stories about being home.
And I appreciate my private showers and baths more than I ever did before!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Since you are on the US, check to see if there is an American Pilgrims chapter near you. You'll find others with the same "ailment" as you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good evening, everyone:

Alexander,
I know exactly what you are feeling. I’ve been home 2 months and I still can’t get over how amazing my experience was but also there is still a sadness in me that I can’t quite shake off. Someone mentioned in this thread about living in the moment and that is what I am learning to do. I will be back in 2026. This forum is amazing and helped me cope when I was feeling out of sorts when I completed my Camino. Maybe you can find comfort from my post. Here is the link..

Good evening, everyone:

Personally, I prefer to go alone. That doesn't mean you wont walk with others, but I loved the first few hours of being alone most mornings.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi- I will be finishing up the Via Podiensis in a few days and then starting on the Frances from SJPDP. Is there any reason for me to visit the pilgrim office (and probably wait on a long line)...
I am an Old School Pilgrim, too set in my ways, I can understand and accept the Cell Phone priorities sweeping today's Pilgrim community back in the good old bad days coin-fed albergue computers...
I arrived on the Francés yesterday in Estella. Stayed in the Albergue Curtadores on the entry to town. Few pilgrims for a big albergue. And tonight I’m by myself at the one-of-a-kind Casa Tiago in...
i did the French way a couple of years ago from Roncesvalles, right after covid. i’m elderly and very slow. i would like to return in 2025, to do it again while my body may still let me. last...
I passed through Nájera today. To quote John Lennon, “ I just had to look”. As you probably know, the red sandstone cliffs run right alongside the houses. Definitely unusual. These red beds...
Hello from Roncesvalles! My husband and I made it safely through the fog to the monastery from Borda this morning. Now looking forward to our next accommodations. Please note: There are lots of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back