• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Re-opening of Notre Dame de Paris December 8, 2024

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 (CF); 2022 (Via Tolosana -part)
Salut! I am overwhelmed with emotion after watching the Opening Ceremony of the Paris Olympics and this has reinforced my wish to participate in the ceremonies leading up to the re-opening and blessing of Notre Dame Cathedral, on Dec 8th this year. Thanks to Bradypus and others, I am aware of the "7 routes Notre Dame" pilgrimages in France, which I believe are setting off today from various locations in France, but although tempted, I was unwilling to travel to France at the same time the Olympics are in train. However, I think I can organise myself to travel from Oz in November-December this year, with an intention to attend the Cathedral opening.
So, can anyone advise me or point me in the right direction for information, to enable me to fulfill this wish? I should add that this is a religious/spiritual desire, rather than a TripAdvisor sort of ambition. I am proficient in French, so no problem dealing with French sites, I just need guidance, merci!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Be careful I'd say, mentioning the Olympics opening ceremony in the same breath as the re-opening of Notre Dame later this year may cause some disturbances.
Why so, if I may ask?

I'd love to walk a pilgrimage to Notre Dame for the re-opening. Is there anything being organized for when the cathedral is actually open?

I can read french, and put some sentences together very slowly.

I was on the Frances when the fire happened...

Why so, if I may ask?
I think that you fell into a trap.

I'd love to walk a pilgrimage to Notre Dame for the re-opening. Is there anything being organized?
No pilgrimage is organised for the re-opening of Notre Dame in December 2024 but there is a multi-way 7-weeks pilgrimage event organised that started yesterday and will end in September at Notre Dame. It has a strong Catholic component, see their website:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

So... I am looking for details. Where are people sleeping? Are there stopping points? Can I join in a few weeks? (Obviously, I'm coming in a bit late on this idea.) Do I have to be signed up? Are there auberges and abbeyes to stay in? What should I pack? Sleeping bag? Tent? Baguette?

kate

Be careful I'd say, mentioning the Olympics opening ceremony in the same breath as the re-opening of Notre Dame later this year may cause some disturbances.
I guess you are referring to the possibility of industrial action which can so often accompany big events in France? Hélas, that just goes with the territoire, en France au moins, but tant pis, I want to do my best to attend the ceremonies, if I can.

Kate, did you look at the link that Kathar1na inserted above (les 7 Routes)? As we've mentioned, it is an initiative of the French Catholic communities and it started on July 28th, so it's already underway. I did consider contacting them to register and participate, but finally decided that I didn't want to be in France right now, so never proceeded with it. But, if you are interested, click on that link which takes you to the website with descriptions of the 7 routes and answers to your questions, including, 'oui,' you do have to be signed up to participate.
Meanwhile, I am still attempting to find out any way to be included in any organised events leading up to the re-opening on December 8th. I may actually try and communicate with the "7 Routes" committee for information.
I will share any findings here on the Forum but would still value input from those in France or involved in the Notre Dame initiatives, to assist me in my own personal pilgrimage. Merci d'avance!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
so exciting for You Anna
Well, yes, if I can make it happen, Kerry. Not sure but I'm doing my research. The alternative would be to go over sooner and join in on one of the 7 routes that have already started, but the Olympic season, JO and Paralympics will be going on nearly all of the time up to the end of the Pilgrimage at Senlis in early September. I prefer to aim for November-December if that is possible! Join me?

I am not one of those who are in France or involved in the 7 Routes / Notre-Dame initiative but I am good at finding relevant information on the internet.

I would think that the office of the archdiocese of Paris would be a good point of contact. I’ve not yet looked at their webpages but immediately found a first article with a timeline and info about events in November and December related to the re-opening of Notre-Dame in Paris:

I wish you every success in your effort. You are so right to pay attention to members who offer facts and information that can be verified in order to help you make an informed decision. Bon chemin!

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
a first article with a timeline and info about events in November and December related to the re-opening of Notre-Dame in Paris:
For general information, a quickly edited machine translation of this timeline:
  • November: A procession will be take place to accompany the return of the statue of Saint Mary. Everyone is invited to participate.
  • December 7: The cathedral will be inaugurated: A liturgical celebration, a Magnificat or Te Deum. In the evening, Vespers will be said.
  • December 8: The first Mass will be celebrated.
  • December 9: Celebration of the Feast day of the Immaculate Conception.
  • From December 8 to 15: An Octave is organized: every day, for eight days, a solemn celebration will be given on a particular theme.
  • Until June 8, 2025: Whitsun marks the official end of the "reopening period".
The article and the letter from the Archbishop of Paris announcing the timeline was published in February 2024. There may be more details available by now. The article ends with this comment:

The Archbishop of Paris is considering a proposal for pilgrimages for Parisian parishes, in order to allow everyone to participate in the masses, readings and prayers of which they were deprived for five years. He considers these pilgrimages as an opportunity to rediscover this cathedral that he describes as the "lieu-source" of the Catholics of the region of Paris.

Last edited:
Thank you Kathar1na! This is why I value this Forum so much and appreciate your research skills.
I will delve into the article and see what I find, and will take your advice about the archdiocese. I spent a couple of hours today on the "7 Routes" pages and feel confirmed in my preference to go later this year.

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
Many, many thanks! This is exactly what I'd hoped to find when I posted my question. My local Anglo-Catholic parish and priest (here in Adelaide) are very encouraging and supportive of my wish to do this, too.

Acknowledging the "spiritual" element of this post can I just say what an impressive feat it has been rebuilding it. More than 180 years to build but only 3 years to rebuild (not a full rebuild I know but everything that was left would have been checked and re-checked)