• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quiet in St Jean Pied de Port!

alanlandy5

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2024
I normally walk the Frances late May and June, last time was 2022. I expected higher numbers in the peak months, is this just from Sarria?

Pilgrim office said there are 180 people registered so far today, which they say is quiet. If it is quiet I think I would enjoy going at a slower pace to take it all in.

I booked as far ahead as pamplona, does anyone have any problems turning up on the day for a bed?

Alan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I normally walk the Frances late May and June, last time was 2022. I expected higher numbers in the peak months, is this just from Sarria?
Yes, those peak Compostela numbers generally reflect those walking from Sarria or the final 100 km on other routes. June, July and August are generally quiet on the Francés until you get to Galicia.

This thread explains - A tale of two Caminos - What about those crowds?

180 is a number leaving SJPP that is considerably lower than on the days I left there in both a May and in late September.

I have found that if you end your walking day in the early afternoon, you generally don’t have a problem getting a bed. Due to the heat both times that I was on the CF, my routine was to leave around sunrise with the cool morning air and finish no later that 1 pm before the heat of the day and before, at least in busy times, most pilgrims arrived into town. With very few exceptions, beds were always available for pilgrims walking in without a reservation.

And by all means, go at a pace where you can take it all in. No need to rush your Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Pilgrim office said there are 180 people registered so far today, which they say is quiet. If it is quiet I think I would enjoy going at a slower pace to take it all in.

I booked as far ahead as pamplona, does anyone have any problems turning up on the day for a bed?

Alan
There are different peak months from different parts of the Camino. May and September are the peak months between SJPP and Sarria. July and August are the peak months between Sarria and Santiago. Since so many pilgrims start in Sarria, July and August end up being the peak months overall.

Yes, June and July are a 'low season', also in Roncesvalles. In May we had full house every day (245 beds and had to send away pilgrims much to our regret as we run out of beds), but June and July are quiet. Last weeks we had 'only' 130 - 170 pilgrims per day. This will increase again as from mid August, and September is crazy again, full house every day.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

For the past couple of years, the mods have volunteered to create calendars that show forum members’ names, date of departure, and departure city. The hope is that it gives people a chance to...
My brother Bruno was traveling the Santiago paths and the last time we had contact with him was when he arrived in Santiago de Compostela. We haven't heard from him since August 17th. If you...
Hello fellow pilgrims, I am planning on opening an Albergue on the Portuguese route. I have walked both the Frances and the Portuguese route. I speak pretty decent Portuguese and am looking for...
Hello, I am going to be walking my first Camino this spring and will spend two weeeks in Spain. I will take a relaxed walk from Sarria to Santiago. I will be almost 79 years old and walk five...
Hello everyone, I’m Giacomo from Italy, and I’m excited to join this community!I’ve been running almost every day for years now, though typically for shorter distances. Recently, I’ve been...
I am in Larrasoaña.. is there a service to get my pack to pamplona in the morning?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back