• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Puy en velay to Conques in 7 days?

Nadiaandfamilia

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2025
Hello,
I would like to do part of the compostelle with my 2 teenagers between Puy en Velay and Conques, but we only have 7 days to do it. I know that this route normally takes 10 days. What are the less interesting stages that we could do by bus? Thanks for enlightening us, Nadia & familia from Canada

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked it in 7 days but my first stage was Le Puy to Monistrol which was 30 km. No one else did that. I'm used to walking an average of 30 km per day in Spain so I didn't think it strange but many were walking stages of only 15 km.

Since I didn't skip anything I can't help you there.

Try going from Le Puy to Aumont-Aubrac, which has bus connections. That's very doable in 7 days, no one has to rush through this beautiful part of France, no one will be stressed. Then, another year, you can return and pick up where you left off.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Nadia,

I just came back from walking 15 days with my partner on the Chemin du Puy. We reached Conques in 7 days but there were definitely some long challenging days in there. Checkout my blog if you like especially the final post I made as I have a table of each of our days, length, ascent up and down and where we stayed. That may give you a good idea if that is doable for you and your kids. Bon Chemin!

I walking from Le Puy en Velay to Conques in September 2017. On the Camino Frances, I had walked from 18 to 25 miles per day with little problem. On the route out of Le Puy, I walked more slowly as there the path goes up hills and down, and again up and down. Also, there weren't very many places to stay, so one day I ended up with with the unhappy option of walking 35km or 10. -- My advice is to practice hill walking before you go!

I walked the Camino Frances with my 14 yo back in 2015. I am so thankful that we walked together. The decision to pull him out of school to walk with me(against the school's protests), was the best I ever made.

I wish you a Bon Chemin.

Last edited:
Hi Nadia,

I just came back from walking 15 days with my partner on the Chemin du Puy. We reached Conques in 7 days but there were definitely some long challenging days in there. Checkout my blog if you like especially the final post I made as I have a table of each of our days, length, ascent up and down and where we stayed. That may give you a good idea if that is doable for you and your kids. Bon Chemin!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was so glad when I walked the Le Puy that I was able to take my time and shorten up a few of the longest stages. It is such a special and beautiful route (the Cele valley variant included!), that I wouldn't have wanted to miss or bus through any of it. In looking at my notes, I took nine days to Conques.
OTOH, my mother used to occasionally say, "You don't miss what you don't know".🤔

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
imho there are no less interesting stages between Le Puy and Conques ... they all have their special beauty; if it is feasible that you might return another year, I would think seriously at walking from, say, Le Puy-en-Velay to Espalion ... btw there are no defined stages so entirely up to you and your two teenagers how far you walk each day. Also, it is important to note that there is plenty of accommodation along the Way in the various villages and you can see exactly what is available by referencing this Google Sheets document posted several years ago by Dave Whitson : <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...-0cA2cAgdKDU/edit?gid=311394233#gid=311394233>

Most read last week in this forum

Hello all! I am a new, soon to be, pilgrim and want to do part of the Le Puy en velay. I am looking to walk roughly 10-14 days with a rest day (or maybe 2?). I would be super greateful for some...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back