• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Proof required on entering Spain of accomodation bookings during the visit?

Timhoyte

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hi all
I just happened to read on this on the Air Europa website. I wondered if it will affect us folks going on one of the Caminos who don't book accomodation before the trip.

'Travelers visiting Spain for tourism or personal purposes must provide proof of accommodation, either issued by the lodging establishment, a letter of invitation from an individual, or confirmation of an organized trip reservation.'

It may just be an 'official' procedure which doesn't actually happen on a day to day basis, and obviously it wouldn't stop anyone doing the camino, but am a bit concerned that if its strictly enforced, those who want to 'wing it' and not book accomodation ahead may may come up against issues getting into Spain. I just wondered if anyone has come accross this issue on entering Spain through airports recently? I walked on the Frances last year and entered spain by flying to Madrid, and wasn't asked this.
I hope to go next year so am curious about this in anticipation of that trip, as well as it potentially affecting many who want to walk caminos and not book ahead.
I'm probably worrying about nothing but thought it was worth asking about on here!
many thanks-Tim

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just happened to read on this on the Air Europa website
Why? As in why did you bother to read it? You could have relied on GB News or the Daily Express for accuracy and truth in regards to the UK and Yerp.

Or, you could just go here: https://commission.europa.eu/index_en and find out what the actual rules are.

Oh, there is a rule about having sufficient means of self support - I find that flaunting a pocket full of gold Sovereigns causes confusion so these days I just produce my credit card

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just happened to read on this on the Air Europa website.
you could just go here: https://commission.europa.eu/index_en and find out what the actual rules are.
More specifically, this page on the website that Tincatinker suggests has information under "Entry refusal."

The immigration officials get to decide who they let into a country. They can ask you anything they think might be an indicator if you might become a burden. They might ask you where you intend to stay, what financial resources you have, what you will be doing, who you will be travelling with. They have that latitude, but go that far only if they have reason to be suspicious, or if you carry a passport from a country where special conditions apply.

Not enforced at all in my experience.
Just tell them that you are there to walk the Camino.

It's a different situation for citizens that need a visa to enter Spain/EU, such as those from South Africa.

But not a problem for UK passport holders.
Thanks for your response, that's reassuring 👍

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
In any case, such a requirement is unenforceable in practice. Fly into Paris or Biarritz, take the train to St Jean Pied de Port, and enter via the Route Napoleon.

Here's where you enter Spain in that case:
IMG_0310.JPG

'Travelers visiting Spain for tourism or personal purposes must provide proof of accommodation, either issued by the lodging establishment, a letter of invitation from an individual, or confirmation of an organized trip reservation.'
Hi @Timhoyte. The wording is unfortunate. Yes, non-EU nationals - which you now are but weren't years ago - must provide such proof IF asked, or provide at least a credible explanation why they don't have such proof. But that's a very big IF. It is not going to happen to you, I am pretty certain of it, as it is not a question that is routinely asked of all travellers.

Buen Camino for next year!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hundreds of trips UK to EU countries, during and post our membership of EU and never been asked. My partner did get asked in Germany last year if she had a return flight, and possibly some other questions. It was definitely a person being trained though and not normal. I guess with the run up to the new entry processes into the EU there may be some training and maybe an increase in questions (pure speculation on my part) but I wouldn’t worry at all.

It's a different situation for citizens that need a visa to enter Spain/EU, such as those from South Africa.
My neighbor is a US citizen originally from India. She is walking with my wife, niece and me on the Camino Frances in two weeks. She invited her sister from India to join us. Since we are all old and slow, I prebooked all our accommodations from Obanos to Burgos. When the Indian sister applied for her visa to enter Spain, the Consulate in Mumbai required her to show EVERY NIGHT'S ACCOMMODATION in Spain. We had to change every booking -- WhatsApp exchanges, email exchanges, Booking.com and other commercial bookings to ensure her name was clearly on the reservation info. But we are planning to stay in a municipal and a parochial albergue without reservations and that seemed ok with the consulate. Buen Camino

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Hi @Timhoyte. The wording is unfortunate. Yes, non-EU nationals - which you now are but weren't years ago - must provide such proof IF asked, or provide at least a credible explanation why they don't have such proof. But that's a very big IF. It is not going to happen to you, I am pretty certain of it, as it is not a question that is routinely asked of all travellers.
Confirm. Many of the thirty countries I've visited have such a rule; even more have a rule about having enough money to get by. But only once in 81 landings (eleven of them in Spain) was I ever asked for either. That was UK, and they weren't bothered that I carried no proof of my answer.

Many also officially require a return flight, but I've never been asked and almost never had one.

Confirm. Many of the thirty countries I've visited have such a rule; even more have a rule about having enough money to get by. But only once in 81 landings (eleven of them in Spain) was I ever asked for either. That was UK, and they weren't bothered that I carried no proof of my answer.

Many also officially require a return flight, but I've never been asked and almost never had one.
The only country that I always get asked for something (and it’s proof of onward travel out of the country is Colombia. This has been asked for by the airline every time I have checked in… not at border control.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know what or why the RENFE website is NOT listing any train service from MADRID to LEON (or onward to OVIEDO) after October 9?? I am trying to travel from Madrid to Oviedo (via Leon)...
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
I hope I am posting this in the right subject section. My annual multi-trip travel insurance has a limit on the duration of any one trip of 45 days. Any claim must include evidence of departure...
Two Trains SNCF at 6am and 8am from Bayonne to SJPdeP got cancelled 12.09 . And we are going to start our France tomorrow 12.09, maybe someone has the same problem and wants to share taxi in the...
Hola todos! I’m trying to find the best way to get from Leon to Sarria where I will start my walk. For context, when I decided to stay in Leon for a few days before my walk I saw that there were...
Hope I am posting at the right place -- five of us will complete the Camino and plan to rent a car, drive to Tui, then drop off the car there, and walk aross the bridge to Vanlensa and pick up a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back