• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Possible Travel Disruption-trying to plan ahead.

HBS60

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024 (planned)
Greetings,
I’m all set up to fly to from Miami next Tuesday August 6 arriving to Madrid at 6AM local time. Unfortunately, there’s a possible tropical storm brewing in the Atlantic that might be headed towards FL, possibly around this coming Sunday. While it might not materialize or if it does it might miss us, I’ve lived in FL long enough to know that these storms can intensify, change direction at the last minute, wreaking havoc with travel plans. Even if it hits on Sunday, flights can be disrupted for days afterwards. I booked my flights, train/bus rides, and first few nights accommodations in advance as I knew this could happen, most of these have very flexible cancel policies, with one exception. The Gite I reserved in SJPDP has me arriving on the 8th, but they do have a cancellation policy that penalizes me if I cancel less than 1 week before scheduled arrival, and I wont’ know until the last moment if my flight remains on schedule. While I’ve written them about this and as I await for a response, I need to know how easy/difficult to find an accommodation in SJPDP if I show up somewhere else without reservations? How busy it is this time of the year? I could cancel my current Gite reservation and just show up, hope for the best, but I dont’ know how busy they might be this time of the year. I could also try making a reservation elsewhere but if my travel is disrupted, I won’t know the dates, so I might just hope to find something, somewhere, in which case I would like some recommendation.

Maybe this is all part of the adventure…
Thanks!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Maybe this is all part of the adventure…
Yes, it is part of the adventure. No need to overthink the “what ifs.” Can things happen? Sure. Will you work it all out upon arrival in SJPP? Absolutely. If weather affects your travel plans, cross that bridge when you get to it. You’ll find a place to sleep in SJPP. Buen Camino!

If weather affects your travel plans, cross that bridge when you get to it. You’ll find a place to sleep in SJPP.
Maybe under that bridge you just crossed.
Seriously though, go up the hill to the pilgrims' office. They have lots of experience finding places for pilgrims to stay.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, I agree with Grousedoctor.
Don't spend too much energy worrying about things you have no control over. Do the best you can and know that it will all work out for the best for a reason.
This is the spirit of the Camino. Trust me, this will not be the last time you will be faced with uncertainties on this journey.

If you were being deposited on a cliff face somewhere in winter, I would suggest that a Plan B and C are essential. However, you are risking being stranded in a civilized, cute little French town, along with other friendly travelers who are in exactly the same situation.

August will be busy in SJPP, especially on weekends, with French tourists more than pilgrims. Most likely, though, you would find that a room is available at some price. If not, the pilgrim office and town authorities will find a way to get you (and the other pilgrims) off the streets. If not that, well, you will doze on a bench that night and live to tell the story on your vlog! :D

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
As Nanners has suggested, change your travel dates. If you are really that anxious about a storm that might materialize, then leave early and spend a day or two in Biarritz or Bayonne. What have you got to lose?

As Nanners has suggested, change your travel dates. If you are really that anxious about a storm that might materialize, then leave early and spend a day or two in Biarritz or Bayonne. What have you got to lose?
It’s not about anxiety. I grew up in the tropics (Caribbean) and in FL since 2000. I’m very familiar with hurricanes and experienced several of them, it’s almost routine at this point in my life. Because of this experience, I know how hard it is to predict them, as they can abruptly change direction and slam a different area than expected. So I’m doing due diligence in planning ahead, since normally I don’t worry about flying to Europe. It’s ingrained in us to start stocking up with non-perishables, water, etc, because the power can go out for days or even weeks. Trust me, I know. So I have the “be prepared” motto drilled into my head and for me, that’s a good thing.

I haven’t thought about flying out a few days early, although as it happens, my flight to Madrid is actually a few days before I was planning to start my Camino, so I could enjoy SJPDP, visit Cambo-les-Bains, and get over jet lag.

I was able to communicate with the Gite and explained the situation. They are willing to be flexible and suggested I keep my reservation and they would be willing to change the dates if need be.

So, it’s all good…

You may also find that recently airlines are planning to more flexibly and ably approach the situation. I live along the southeast US coast and have become increasingly able to pivot (at least for myself) when storms do not perform as predicted. At least one airline has very recently been figuring out how to not get themselves into a rescheduling mess that takes days to sort out. I was waiting to fly out of Savannah a few days ago. The weather there was definitely on the OK side, but once we were all on board the captain told us that Atlanta was on a "station stop" because of widespread thunderstorms in their area, so we would wait on the plane for what was estimated to be at least an hour. We received a couple more vague ideas about when we might actually leave. Meanwhile, some of the other people flying to Atlanta to fly internationally had called or texted the airline's head office, and the airline soon realized there were a whole lot of us with international reservations, potentially causing logistics problems that could last for days. Then the captain came back on and said we were going back to the gate to get enough fuel to be able to leave immediately to circle around the storms around Atlanta and land in time to make many of our flights. Since it is usually a short flight, we usually take off with a small amount of fuel. And I watched out my window, and we really were flying around storms. I hadn't experienced this approach in years. Meanwhile, the airline was communicating with us international passengers individually, showing us what alternatives were available and how they could assist us changing flights while still in the air. My European flight was delayed, too, so I wasn't worried, but we landed in plenty of time. Then I got on the Atlanta to Madrid flight and this captain told us (and we could see it ourselves) that there were electrical storms right at the airport, but we were in line to take off whenever it was possible. Then the head flight attendant came on and said that we were getting ready to take off; apparently there would be a safe window soon, and we were going to leave. Also not the usual. A few minutes later we were up in the air, to not exactly calm conditions. Within an hour we were enjoying the usual trans-oceanic multi-course dinner. And wine or drinks were finally available. Late two hours total to Madrid. My only thing is I cannot figure out why I was never even slightly nervous. Maybe old age (mine).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You may also find that recently airlines are planning to more flexibly and ably approach the situation. I live along the southeast US coast and have become increasingly able to pivot (at least for myself) when storms do not perform as predicted. At least one airline has very recently been figuring out how to not get themselves into a rescheduling mess that takes days to sort out. I was waiting to fly out of Savannah a few days ago. The weather there was definitely on the OK side, but once we were all on board the captain told us that Atlanta was on a "station stop" because of widespread thunderstorms in their area, so we would wait on the plane for what was estimated to be at least an hour. We received a couple more vague ideas about when we might actually leave. Meanwhile, some of the other people flying to Atlanta to fly internationally had called or texted the airline's head office, and the airline soon realized there were a whole lot of us with international reservations, potentially causing logistics problems that could last for days. Then the captain came back on and said we were going back to the gate to get enough fuel to be able to leave immediately to circle around the storms around Atlanta and land in time to make many of our flights. Since it is usually a short flight, we usually take off with a small amount of fuel. And I watched out my window, and we really were flying around storms. I hadn't experienced this approach in years. Meanwhile, the airline was communicating with us international passengers individually, showing us what alternatives were available and how they could assist us changing flights while still in the air. My European flight was delayed, too, so I wasn't worried, but we landed in plenty of time. Then I got on the Atlanta to Madrid flight and this captain told us (and we could see it ourselves) that there were electrical storms right at the airport, but we were in line to take off whenever it was possible. Then the head flight attendant came on and said that we were getting ready to take off; apparently there would be a safe window soon, and we were going to leave. Also not the usual. A few minutes later we were up in the air, to not exactly calm conditions. Within an hour we were enjoying the usual trans-oceanic multi-course dinner. And wine or drinks were finally available. Late two hours total to Madrid. My only thing is I cannot figure out why I was never even slightly nervous. Maybe old age (mine).
It is too difficult for my aging eyes to read that massive paragraph!

Good to know, thanks!

I remember being stuck in Orlando for 4 days back during the blizzard of 1992, unable to return home (I was living in Ohio at the time and moved to Orlando later). It was a huge mess of stranded passengers for days. I understand and don’t mind a travel delay, but for me to get to SJPDP, it’s a bit complicated as I’ll take a train, a plane, another train, and a bus. I absolutely hate flying and can only handle one takeoff and landing.

It is still too uncertain where the storm will hit so I’m just keeping an eye and proceeding as normal. It looks it might pass by us this Sunday so it should be OK by Tuesday.

Perhaps your airline will allow to fly out earlier in advance of the storm? I've been offered that option previously by airlines.

Absolutely agree. You already worked out the issue with your Albergue\Gite but IMHO - getting out earlier if possible will alleviate any anxiety. A pre-Camino day or 2 in any of the towns mentioned? QUI Msr!!!!
The "loss" is perhaps couple of $-hundreds but the gain?! PRICELESS!!!!
Good luck & Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
Unfortunately I’ve become too ill to continue—I have a flight from Madrid on Sept 19. Can anyone suggest a safe and quiet hotel in Madrid for tonight and tomorrow? I’m so sad I can’t Go on. I’ll...
Hey everyone, this is just a heads-up that I'll be heading to Camino in the first week of October. My flight from the US to Madrid will arrive at 7:20 p.m. The last trip to Sarria is at 8:23 p.m...
Hello, I am new here. My husband and I plan to walk the Camino in Spring of 2025. In preparation of this I have been researching and reading. I came across a map which was interactive. It showed...
Hi everyone. I’m flying back to Chicago from Madrid after walking the CF in late November. I’ll be taking a cab to a hotel near CDG airport to fly out next day. It appears to be a long distance...
Hey veteran pilgrims - of which I am one - is it common in mid October for all fast trains from Madrid to Leon to be “sold out” six weeks out from travel? It’s been 10 years since I have done a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back