• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Coastal in late November?? Thoughts?

Rodrigma716

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
My 12 year old son and I are eager to get back to the Camino. We really enjoyed our time on the Camino from Sarria to SdC, in May and are now eager to return. We are seriously considering the route from Vigo to SdC, towards the end of November, as it would offer us a different route, be far enough to earn a compostela, and fit within our limited time of about 7-8 days. From the research I've done, it looks like the temperatures should be milder than other routes, but possibly more rain. Is this accurate? Also, I've seen conflicting information about how open the route will be regarding the infrastructure for the pilgrims. I expect that the route will be much less busy, than when we walked in May, but will there be sufficient options for lodging and food along the route?
Thanks so much for any guidance you are willing to offer!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Im looking for any good info on central route from Tui to the compestello thanks.
Buen camino
Faith

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
My 12 year old son and I are eager to get back to the Camino. We really enjoyed our time on the Camino from Sarria to SdC, in May and are now eager to return. We are seriously considering the route from Vigo to SdC, towards the end of November, as it would offer us a different route, be far enough to earn a compostela, and fit within our limited time of about 7-8 days. From the research I've done, it looks like the temperatures should be milder than other routes, but possibly more rain. Is this accurate? Also, I've seen conflicting information about how open the route will be regarding the infrastructure for the pilgrims. I expect that the route will be much less busy, than when we walked in May, but will there be sufficient options for lodging and food along the route?
Thanks so much for any guidance you are willing to offer!
Hi there. I walked from Porto 2 years ago, leaving the last day of November. I walked the Central route but met numerous after Redondela who had walked coastal. There were no problems with accommodation and I found it a nice cool and quiet time to go. It was wet so we made sure to have a few days up our sleeve to allow for flexibility, which we needed as at least one day was so windy and wet it didn’t feel safe to walk. There were less food places open during the walk so we had supplies with us but all good at night for dinner. We needed warm sleeping bags for the albergues. Enjoy!

The only report I've heard from meeting someone who has done it is that it is very wet and rainy.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
it looks like the temperatures should be milder than other routes, but possibly more rain. Is this accurate?
here you can see historical temperature and data
Hi there. I walked from Porto 2 years ago, leaving the last day of November. I walked the Central route but met numerous after Redondela who had walked coastal. There were no problems with accommodation and I found it a nice cool and quiet time to go. It was wet so we made sure to have a few days up our sleeve to allow for flexibility, which we needed as at least one day was so windy and wet it didn’t feel safe to walk. There were less food places open during the walk so we had supplies with us but all good at night for dinner. We needed warm sleeping bags for the albergues. Enjoy!
Thanks for the informations!
I'm planning to walk end Oct/Nov. Any tips about clothes?

I always used my NF old cheap rain-jacket, but never in fall. I just got an heavy-rain day in the Primitivo and one in French and well I was all wet.
Especially the feet(waterproof shoes with holes :) ).
In fact,in the french I got the first blister in my life.
But day after was fine.

In fall maybe is better use a poncho that cover also the backpack? Never used. I don't like because it restricts movement; but in an easy trail it can make sense.

Shoes: my current are perfect for medium mountains in sunny days and confortable but no waterproof and little high-necked maybe.

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.