This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Portugese Camino Questions

LitiVan

Time of past OR future Camino
November 2024
Hello, I am considering walking the Portugese Camino in November, starting early or mid month.
I see there are several route options. Not sure which one to choose.
What about the weather at that time of year?
What about accommodation? I heard lots of places close for winter.
Anybody else walking at that time?
It's all new to me, I'd love to chat to someone for some reassurance and tips. I looked on the forum, find it hard to navigate for specifics.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello from the other side of the world ! You’ve chosen a good route for your first Camino and you’ll be just fine. I’m walking from Porto to Santiago for the third time in two years this November starting on the 8th. I love this Camino and even though I have walked others (Frances, Norte etc), this is my ‘go-to’ walk if I just have a couple of weeks. It has everything and is perfect for a first walk. It has coastal walking (as much as you choose), great towns and cities, beautiful countryside walking, culture and history abounds everywhere along the way.
I would suggest walking out of Porto (presuming that is your starting point), along the right bank of the Douro River to the sea turning north up the coast to the town of Vila do Conde (one long day or two if you stay first night at somewhere like Matasinhos which I would suggest). These first two days be aware that up to the margins of Vila do Conde, there is little signage, hardly any yellow arrows, but you don’t need them as you just follow the river (on your left) and then the sea (also on your left). From Vila do Conde, I would turn inland and walk the 12K or so that connects you to the Portuguese central route at Arcos. You could carry on up the coastal route but that gets very ‘samey’ with lots of flat, boardwalk walking and in the first two days on this suggested route you will have had a good sample of that.
Once on the central route, the signage is very good (it’s a bit spotty on the 12k connector so pay attention). The route takes you north through the lovely towns of Barcelos and Ponte De Lima all the way up to Valenca/Tui the two fabulous towns on either side of the Spanish/Portuguese border. Once in Spain, the trail stages are obvious and beautiful. In my opinion, the Portuguese Camino route in Galicia is way better than the Camino Frances in Galicia.
You will walk through the towns of O Porrino, Redondela, Pontevedra (the capital of Galicia), Caldas de Rei and Padron up to Santiago. Just north of Pontevedra, you have the option of walking the Spiritual Variant route which heads left and takes you back to the coast for a while. It is quite beautiful and I would recommend it usually to everyone. It’s an extra day but one of the best bits is you can take a boat from Vilanova de Arouza through the estuary and up the river to near Padron, the route, legend tells us that St James’s followers transported his remains all those years ago……it’s wonderful but perhaps in November, you’d be better off sticking to the main central route up to Caldas de Rei, as the boats may not be running and the weather could be inclement. I have done both but would recommend you stick with the main route at this time of year, that’s what I’m doing in November.
Weather wise it’s a lottery. I haven’t walked the whole Portuguese in November but a few years ago I did walk some sections of it and daily highs were around 12-14C with some clear days and some wet. When I walked this route in March this year I suffered lashing rain and flooding almost every day but in March the year before it was wall to wall sunshine. To be honest, when you hit the trail you have to just be prepared for everything that nature throws at you and you should embrace it all and enjoy it.
You’re going to have a blast……this is a great time of year to walk. There will be pilgrims around but not too busy and the atmosphere will be terrific and very spiritual! Be aware that days will be short and it will start to go dark around 5.00pm so plan for that. Accommodations shouldn’t be a problem……plan ahead. Booking.com is perfect for what you will need. I have to confess I’m a bit of a ‘spreadsheet pilgrim’ and I plan and book ahead of time. It’s less ‘liberating’ but I like to know where I’m going and where I’m sleeping.
Good luck and Bom Caminho/Buen Camino !
PS…..if you want to treat yourself in Santiago, take a look at Hotel Costa Vella. It’s fantastic…..family run, fabulous staff, not too expensive, clean and beautifully presented, close to the cathedral and the main square. Also features one of the city’s most notable landmarks, a wonderful garden that is open to the public for cafe con leches, beers etc.
If you spot this peregrino from Newfoundland en route, be sure to say hello !

Attachments

• IMG_2354.webp
    889.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2736.webp
    458.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2741.webp
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2805.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2829.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I did the Portuguese in November few years ago and got 11 days of rain in a row. You might consider this before considering walking.

The 2025 edition of the Lightfoot Guide to the via Podiensis is now available
I have never stayed here, but often have had breakfast. I love its beautiful garden, which is a little oasis in the hustle/bustle of Santiago and a real delight.

The area north from Porto is called the green coast for a reason, it’ll rain a lot in November. And in Galicia probably too. Last year and this year people are walking in heavy rain from half October already.

But if you’ll walk take the route leaving Porto along the river to Matosinhos, it’s called senda litoral and much better than the routes central or coastal which is much more through suburbs and industry.
Then you could switch to the central either in Via do Conde or walk the coastal to Caminha and switch there to Valenca/Tui.
Can’t advice you on which route to take in November. Coastal can be more windy, central more slippery/muddy

Thanks for this advice that’s helped with my planning!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum