• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Passport

Elliott49

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances May 2014, Portugese Sept 2024
Hi, I’m walking the coastal route from Porto to Santiago in mid September. My travelling companion arrives late in the afternoon and we plan to start walking first thing the next day. Can I buy a passport for her without her being present? If so, where?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, I’m walking the coastal route from Porto to Santiago in mid September. My travelling companion arrives late in the afternoon and we plan to start walking first thing the next day. Can I buy a passport for her without her being present? If so, where?
Yes you can; as many as you like.,

They’re sold at the Sé (Cathedral) and other places. If you look on the Gronze website for specific accomodation the field ‘Expiden la Credencial’ indicates where credencials are sold.

Example: Albergue de Peregrinos do Porto.

Last edited:
Yes you can; as many as you like.,
It is not true. I see one of my fellow pilgrims arguing at a Pilgrim Office because she wanted to get a credential for a friend of her who were not arrived yet.
I have then been confirmed by some hospitaleros that they have been told to be cautious when delivering credentials...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
To get that early morning start, because the Sé doesn’t open until 9 am, go the day before, and before your friend arrives, and ask for two credenciales. They can only say no, but I think you’ll get them and they are prestamped as @henrythedog said.

The last time we were in Porto, I bought an extra credencial for my deceased father-in-law at the Sé whom we walked the Camino vicarie pro. It was meaningful for us to collect stamps for him along The Way including a final stamp at the Pilgrim’s Office in Santiago but one different from the one’s my wife and I received for completing the Camino. This credencial was then given to my mother-in-law.

On our first trip to Porto our plane was 12 hours late getting to the city. Picking up our credenciales after the Sé opened really put us on the trail much later than we had hoped. So, with a bit of luck, you’ll be able to get them the day before so you can begin your Camino at the hour you planned. Bom Caminho!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Different places, different rules.
At the pilgrims office in SJPP you must be there to receive your credencial, no way “one for my friend”.
In the Porto Cathedral “and I need 5 more please” you get 6, no questions asked.

Different places, different rules or perhaps different people behind the counter? I’ve bought five ‘for friends’ at the reception office whilst collecting a compostela in Santiago.

As with many ‘certainties’ on here it’s generally individuals honestly stating their personal experience and extrapolating that as the norm. I’m guilty as charged.

I’m sure the OP will manage to get the two they desire.

The OP is from Australia, so getting their credentials there might be more straightforward than on arrival in Portugal...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If they won't sell you two maybe they would relent if they see you fill out the information page with two different names, addresses and national passport numbers. Go in prepared for the both of you. Later you may wish to add your mobile phone numbers and/or email addresses in case you lose the credentials.

Too bad your traveling companion is on such a short schedule. Porto is a delightful city to explore. Hopefully you will have time for a walking tour including over the "Eiffel" bridge. Bom Caminho.

Different places, different rules or perhaps different people behind the counter? I’ve bought five ‘for friends’ at the reception office whilst collecting a compostela in Santiago.

As with many ‘certainties’ on here it’s generally individuals honestly stating their personal experience and extrapolating that as the norm. I’m guilty as charged.

I’m sure the OP will manage to get the two they desire.
I stated 2 places I know the rules. I have been a volunteer in SJPP for many years and I know very well the man in charge for the credentials at the Cathedral in Porto, we talk regularly about that and others Caminho subjects.
In Santiago they usually will sell you several credentials with no problem, but that was not the point.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I stated 2 places I know the rules. I have been a volunteer in SJPP for many years and I know very well the man in charge for the credentials at the Cathedral in Porto, we talk regularly about that and others Caminho subjects.
In Santiago they usually will sell you several credentials with no problem, but that was not the point.

Lo siento. Escribiste muy claramente ‘SJPP’ y aun así lo leí como ‘Santiago’. Mis disculpas.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small...
Hi, this might be a strange question but just wandering how much cash should you bring with you on the Camino?? Thanks
As I walked today, I came across a Wild Boar that had been, shot, gutted and hind quarters removed. It seemed a shame it was left there right on the Camino as I am sure it would disturb some...
Hi all, probably a question with many different answers, but here goes. I've done several Caminos, but always ones that feature a cafe every now and then ( think Frances, Portuguese, Ingles etc)...
I much prefer ordering agua del grifo (tap water) both to save money and plastic, and everything else that goes into the production and delivery of bottled water. The last couple of nights in...
Fellow pilgrims. As an avid walker of various Caminos, I am always fascinated in the experiences of other pilgrims/tourists, and how their planning and experience on pilgrimage was shaped. As an...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.