• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phone Cards and Internet Access

Dave

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Hi all,

I'm gearing up for a summer trip on the GR-65, GR-651, and GR-10. I'll be taking a group of students on the pilgrimage with me.

We don't allow the students to bring smartphones or other wifi devices. A month of detox is a good thing. But, this poses some challenges, and the biggest is finding ways for them to communicate with home. I know that internet cafes are an endangered species, and they likely were never particularly common on this route to begin with. However, I'm sure that there are some computers available. In any case, I'd love feedback on the following:
  • Did you buy an international phone card along the route? Where did you buy it? How easy was it to use?
  • Where do you recall using a computer (not just wifi)? For example, I definitely used one in Conques, in Gite Ultreia in Moissac, and in Hotel de la Paix in Aire-sur-l'Adour. Did you access any public libraries with computers?
Thanks very much,
Dave

A selection of Camino Jewellery
  • Did you buy an international phone card along the route? Where did you buy it? How easy was it to use?

Do you mean a SIM or a calling card? A SIM assuming you have a GSM unlocked phone with the right frequencies is very easy to use. You just slip it into the phone and turn it back on. Current smartphones auto configure so they even setup everything needed.

No point buying an international one. They'll cost more then the local ones. If you have a problem you won't be able to walk into any local shop and get help.

If you mean calling cards you need a working phone to use those. You also pay on top of your current phone charges. It would get expensive if your phone is on roaming.

Leaving Le Puy, the Camino passes through so very rural areas, a common sight are the locals out banging on their cell phones hoping to initiate or improve reception – you will be out in some serious boondocks communication-wise. Coming down and off the Aubrac things improve but there will still be isolated places, especially valley passages, where only a satellite phone will work-an expensive consideration but you are responsible for a group. A quick fix for Internet access? Almost every good sized village and certainly in the towns there will be a public library, free Internet and sometimes WIFI often at differing hours in the afternoons and sometimes on Saturday.

Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!
Payphones are getting scarce around the world due to mobile phones, I would research where the public libraries are at along your route, possibly set up a mass email addressed to the family and friends at home and send a check in email when available.
A prepaid calling card is dependent on finding a payphone, you would have a better chance of contacting those back home via email on a library or gite computer, or (as a last resort) a wi-fi device.

This sounds like a bit of a challenge that could mean you have many days when your plan for the day is driven by library hours. I never once tried to go to a library but I suspect it would be similar to trying to find a post office with open hours/days that fit your walking schedule.

For about four days in a row my life revolved around trying to mail some things home. I walk into a town around 12:15. The post office is only open until noon. Another day, another town, luckily Wednesday is a day that post office is open. However, they deliver mail first so it doesn't open until 2:00. It's pretty close to two so I decide to stay in the municipal gite. I get my "keep and send" resorted, go back to the post office and find a sign saying due to illness, they won't open that day. So I carry it on the next day but now I am determined to get this stuff into the mail. This time, this town, I linger after breakfast because the post office opens at 9 am. However, once there I am told that it is only a public service of the town office so they don't take any packages. (I am thinking, if it were a library, your only computer would have been out of order).

These were all normal working days so I wasn't even dealing with weekends or Mondays. In my case, the stars finally aligned and I got this business taken care of and never again cared what the assorted schedule options were. It sounds like you could have a very similar experience again and again and again. My guess is that libraries will have a shorter window of opening days and times -- completely and totally variable from location to location. I don't recall ever seeing a pay phone or internet cafe or gite computer. I did use a computer in a tourist office a few times. If this is an option, they would have longer hours than a library. With a group wanting to send e-mails this will be quite a time commitment as there may be others wanting to use it too.

Here's my suggestion do not create any at home expectations for frequent communications. If you can only communicate every four or five days, I would seriously consider sending some actual letters and post cards. If you have stamps you won't be dependent on opening hours.

I always send post cards to my grandchildren from France or Spain whenever I'm on the Camino, every week one to each. A lovely idea however...I'm usualy home before most of them arrive! They always think that its absolutely hilarious to recieve a card from Grandpa sent from say La Charite-sur-Loir or Castrojeriz when I'm sitting there babysitting or we have them over for Saturday dinner!

Keep the Camino momentum going once you return home with After the Camino
This sounds like a bit of a challenge that could mean you have many days when your plan for the day is driven by library hours. I never once tried to go to a library but I suspect it would be similar to trying to find a post office with open hours/days that fit your walking schedule.

For about four days in a row my life revolved around trying to mail some things home. I walk into a town around 12:15. The post office is only open until noon. Another day, another town, luckily Wednesday is a day that post office is open. However, they deliver mail first so it doesn't open until 2:00. It's pretty close to two so I decide to stay in the municipal gite. I get my "keep and send" resorted, go back to the post office and find a sign saying due to illness, they won't open that day. So I carry it on the next day but now I am determined to get this stuff into the mail. This time, this town, I linger after breakfast because the post office opens at 9 am. However, once there I am told that it is only a public service of the town office so they don't take any packages. (I am thinking, if it were a library, your only computer would have been out of order).

These were all normal working days so I wasn't even dealing with weekends or Mondays. In my case, the stars finally aligned and I got this business taken care of and never again cared what the assorted schedule options were. It sounds like you could have a very similar experience again and again and again. My guess is that libraries will have a shorter window of opening days and times -- completely and totally variable from location to location. I don't recall ever seeing a pay phone or internet cafe or gite computer. I did use a computer in a tourist office a few times. If this is an option, they would have longer hours than a library. With a group wanting to send e-mails this will be quite a time commitment as there may be others wanting to use it too.

Here's my suggestion do not create any at home expectations for frequent communications. If you can only communicate every four or five days, I would seriously consider sending some actual letters and post cards. If you have stamps you won't be dependent on opening hours.

Last paragraph spot on....send cards .
Detox for students spot on.
Scruffy is right about the start....program the kids there and then for a little less communication.
I assume [ bad word ] that your accommodation will be booked ahead with pre arranged stops. Why not write to these pensions/gites or hotels and ask them the nearest point to each where computer is available.
Finally its more than a GR , its the way the French live that this path shows. There are no macca's or fried chooks , just fresh fruit and vegies that are in season and good wholesome meats.
Its also a place to talk/listen and view people in a country that shaped us "younger" continents.

Just for you Scruffy,
Can the kids write letters / send cards these days ?
What odds one has a secret apartment for a phone/ipad ?

Have a great Gr Dave from Portland , keep sane and i hope this short path entices the kids to further/bigger trips in later life.
Bon Courage and Bon Chemin,
David

This past October on Le Puy, I saw only about two or three computers along the way for public use. I didn't check libraries, but as wawpdx noted above, municipal offices and businesses were closed much of the time so that wouldn't have been a sure bet. Bear in mind, too, that most French computers have French keyboards, which can be a bit of a challenge for anglos to use. I purchased a SIM card from an Orange shop in Paris and a "holiday" plan providing phone service, messaging, and Internet -- 39 euros for the SIM plus the first 14 days service; after that, 20 euros per top-up at tabac shops -- but check out Frenchmobile, as they may have lower rates. This is a very rural route and the phone/data reception in them thar hills is spotty, but in towns it is usually fine. Miam Miam Dodo is a good source of up-to-date info on the availability of wifi/computers in gites, but note that wifi is much, much less common on Le Puy than on the Camino Frances. You certainly can't count on having it every day.

Thornley is right: program the kids (and perhaps more important, their parents!) for less electronic communication. Have them send postcards and keep journals, both of which will become lasting mementos of their trip. Or if you are carrying a wifi device yourself, consider creating a group blog for parents that is mostly written by the kids -- maybe only a few times a week and maybe on a volunteer basis, but with everyone contributing at least once. You didn't say how old the kids are, but taking them on this walk is a generous and brave thing to do -- a gift they will carry all their lives. Bon courage!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi GML,

Thanks for the perspective. You have essentially outlined our working plan, with the group blog updated sporadically by students (it looks like ~11 of our gites will have a computer available, at least in theory) and more regular emails sent from my wifi device. In addition, we're going to have students write postcards, with one added wrinkle--we're going to use my partner's phone to shoot pics of the postcards, front and back, and then email them out to all of the parents. Won't be high quality, but should suffice. Not sure about the students' handwriting, though...

They're high schoolers, so they can manage the separation pretty well. We're just trying to be more proactive about the communication challenges this year. Last summer on the Via Francigena, we were blindsided by the fact that nearly all of the internet cafes we had used on past trips were closed--casualties of the smart phone boom. So, there was a disparity between what we had told the parents to expect and what we were able to deliver. We want to set accurate expectations this year!

And in terms of bravery, I think it's much braver to take a group of adults! Teenagers (at least the ones I travel with) are much more used to accepting guidance and instruction (and, when necessary, commands) than adults!

Dave

This is good to know, and great idea, and I will pass it on to those loved ones who will be following my progress. We are so "connected" these days that it is hard to imagine how we survived in the days before cell phones and internet. Don't get me wrong, though I am "old school", I love the speed at which we can now get replies to messages and am addicted to the net. However, I do remember a time, not long ago, when you disconnected upon leaving civilization, and those left behind didn't stress during the times of silence between phone calls or post cards. Part of the joy of being on vacation then lay in the reality that you could not be contacted. I very much like the idea of sending post cards on regular intervals, in addition to emails, skype, or phone. It is actually comforting to have a card in hand that traveled from the hands of your loved one, across the empty spaces, and into your home, so you could read it, re-read it, flip it over repeatedly, and imagine.

This is good to know, and great idea, and I will pass it on to those loved ones who will be following my progress. We are so "connected" these days that it is hard to imagine how we survived in the days before cell phones and internet. Don't get me wrong, though I am "old school", I love the speed at which we can now get replies to messages and am addicted to the net. However, I do remember a time, not long ago, when you disconnected upon leaving civilization, and those left behind didn't stress during the times of silence between phone calls or post cards. Part of the joy of being on vacation then lay in the reality that you could not be contacted. I very much like the idea of sending post cards on regular intervals, in addition to emails, skype, or phone. It is actually comforting to have a card in hand that traveled from the hands of your loved one, across the empty spaces, and into your home, so you could read it, re-read it, flip it over repeatedly, and imagine.
Sometimes it's a relief to be completely out of contact. This of course happens less and less now. You can't even escape while on a plane, what with onboard phones and internet. Part of the adventure of travel was being disconnected in a foreign world. I think you're right about the value of a postcard. And don't forget the aerogramme, now sadly completely obsolete. :-( aerogram.webp

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back