• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

`Pannier Bag transfer

RichardWalsh

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug -Sept 2024
Hi all,
I'll be cycling Camino Frances in August/Sept 2024 over 14 days from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago. My daily distances range from 47 to 72 km. I have booked all accommodation already and I'd like to have my panniers transferred each day.
Luggage transfer companies seem to have a limit of 60km.

My Query: Have some of you been in the same situation ?
What companies are suited to cyclists and their daily distances?

Thanking you all.
Slainte.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Like myself and probably most other bicigrinos, we’ve carried our gear with us on our Caminos. When I road the VDLP, it wasn’t any particular inconvenience to have panniers on my bike. Sure, added weight and some trail sections that were a bit tough to maneuver through. But, overall, carrying my gear, wasn’t a problem.

But, more to your question. Beyond 60km is probably beyond the circuit of a transport driver. From experience, let me suggest that 35 miles or 56 km is a nice daily distance. But, you already have your reservations. So changing everything might not be feasible. You may end up just needing to ride with your panniers on your longer days. The Meseta, for example, is a long, relatively flat section of the CF. I don’t think you’d even notice panniers on your bike. Or, think about an equipment switch that might prove more suitable than panniers for daily riding. Here is a link to a company that has better bags for bikepacking (I’m not endorsing this particular company, just using it to show you options to panniers).

A saddle bag, a front bag, and maybe a tube bag might offer you the stability and ride you’re looking for instead of panniers. Buen Camino!

IMG_0835.png

Last edited:
Luggage transfer companies seem to have a limit of 60km.

Luggage transfer companies seem to have a limit of 60km. Low prices for baggage transport and tight logistics go hand in hand.

You're best as mentioned by @Grousedoctor to mix and match a) Correos or similar for stages under 60km; b) taxis for distances over 60km at about €1.00/1.50 per km; or c) carrying the panniers on flat sections like the Meseta.

You can easily carry your gear all the way to Astorga. After that you'll have to get off to push or use Correos/taxis.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I'll be cycling Camino Frances in August/Sept 2024 over 14 days from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago. My daily distances range from 47 to 72 km. I have booked all accommodation already...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.