• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pads for ball of foot 👣

VeganCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Frances from Saint Jean Pied du Port to Burgos, starting in June.
Hello 🤗 I have corns and pain on the ball of my right foot only. I've switched to Altra shoes for the wide foot bed and they seem to be better. At least not causing more friction.

I want to try something like a metatarsal foot pad, but all the reviews online for products like Dr. Scholl, etc. are mediocre to bad. I would love any suggestions for products that have worked for you.

I don't want a full foot pad, but any other recommendations are warmly welcomed. Thanks so much.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If I was you I’d consult a podiatrist rather than a bunch of random strangers on the internet on that one. Best bar / cafe / viewpoint / detour - I’d trust the members of this forum to come up with something good. My feet? My feet are what get me to Santiago. They’re far too precious to trust to this bunch of opinionated enthusiasts.
Buena suerte

Hahahaha! I was going to say the same thing but Mr. Tinker beat me to it.

I rolled my eyes the first time I was told to go to a podiatrist. Turns out the guy is a miracle worker. And yes, he indeed put pads in my shoes, but set them up in a way I would not have expected -- instant relief for my particular ailment. Now I too have a corn on the big toe and need to get that looked at, so I'll be paying him another visit.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
While not one to shy away from foot advice, I am more comfortable giving advice about the foot which doesn't involve the front, as the foot gets a lot simpler from the mid-point backward.

There are so many variations of things up front which could be the culprit. Take a look at youtube and search for 'ball of foot pain' or 'front foot pain' and the results will give you an idea of the direction you need to go for your particular problem. Might be a simple case of ill-fitting shoes or something which needs plenty of attention from a pro.

Watch a bunch of videos until you find a couple things which seem to match your issue, then go from there.

If I was you I’d consult a podiatrist rather than a bunch of random strangers on the internet on that one. Best bar / cafe / viewpoint / detour - I’d trust the members of this forum to come up with something good. My feet? My feet are what get me to Santiago. They’re far too precious to trust to this bunch of opinionated enthusiasts.
Buena suerte
I'd love to, but I'm American and my insurance sucks. I waited six months to see a general practitioner who said to give it three months to see if it magically got better and then I waited since May for a referral, which insurance then refused. So... It's cheaper to see one in Spain. Just wondering what to try until then. 🤗

While not one to shy away from foot advice, I am more comfortable giving advice about the foot which doesn't involve the front, as the foot gets a lot simpler from the mid-point backward.

There are so many variations of things up front which could be the culprit. Take a look at youtube and search for 'ball of foot pain' or 'front foot pain' and the results will give you an idea of the direction you need to go for your particular problem. Might be a simple case of ill-fitting shoes or something which needs plenty of attention from a pro.

Watch a bunch of videos until you find a couple things which seem to match your issue, then go from there.
Thank you. Yes, I've been doing that and might know what the issue is.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Hello 🤗 I have corns and pain on the ball of my right foot only. I've switched to Altra shoes for the wide foot bed and they seem to be better. At least not causing more friction.

I want to try something like a metatarsal foot pad, but all the reviews online for products like Dr. Scholl, etc. are mediocre to bad. I would love any suggestions for products that have worked for you.

I don't want a full foot pad, but any other recommendations are warmly welcomed. Thanks so much.
Altra Olympus trail runners (in case you’ve got the less-cushioned Lone Peak model).

When I started getting pain on the ball of my foot during training for CF, I tried metatarsel pads without success. Ended up getting orthotics which worked great ( zero blisters zero pain in Hoka Challengers) but they are really expensive. And it looks to me like they work the same as the pads- they raise up the middle of my foot creating less pressure on the ball. So, I would go to a pro as first choice as others suggest but if that is not an option, try finding the right placement and thickness of a metatarsal pad. Good luck!

I'd love to, but I'm American and my insurance sucks. I waited six months to see a general practitioner who said to give it three months to see if it magically got better and then I waited since May for a referral, which insurance then refused. So... It's cheaper to see one in Spain. Just wondering what to try until then. 🤗
How much would visiting a podiatrist in the US cost if you just paid out of pocket?
I’m in Australia and my podiatrist charges about AUS$90 without insurance - so not cheap - but not that expensive either.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I don’t know how serious your pain is. If they’re minor you might try some self-care. If they’re really serious you’ll have to bite the bullet and talk to a podiatrist. Try to find a good one, they’re not all equal.

And I totally understand, medical costs can be ruinous in the US. It gets up to a few thousand dollars so quickly.

If the corns are the primary problem, you could start by trying to self treat those. You can just search for information online but basically you soak your feet to soften them up and then use a pumice stone to knock down the corns. I had some minor corns in and I was able to get rid of them by using a cheap pumice-like nail file.

I had metatarsalgia (inflammation of the ball of the foot) and my podiatrist suggested I try these:

You put the metatarsal pads behind the ball of the foot instead of directly underneath. What they do is lift the ball slightly so it doesn’t impact the ground as much. There’s probably YouTube videos. You can put them on the bottom of the removable insoles instead of directly on your foot. Obviously a podiatrist could potentially position or shape them better.

You can also buy over-the-counter orthotics aimed at ball of foot pain:

You can double up by putting the metatarsal pads underneath the orthotics.

The metatarsal pads and the orthotics did make my feet more comfortable, although I don't think they helped alleviate the problem.

And I would say that the orthotics help more than the metatarsal pads. I did use over-the-counter orthotics, but I also had custom ones.

I have a lot of foot problems, and ensuring the comfort of your feet is possibly the most important thing for a successful Camino.

Last edited:
I recommend https://treadlabs.com/ for their insoles and metatarsal pads. The pads comes in different depths. The insoles are expensive but they last forever. On their site, they have a page where they re-sell returned insoles.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Buena suerte
In my former life, I was a Podiatrist. I agree wholeheartedly with the above. Don't waste your money. A podiatrist will get rid of the corns and callous AND if necessary apply a padding made to measure to remove pressure from said areas on your feet. Neither would I waste my cash on orthotics not sold by my podiatrist. Wrongly fitting ones can cause a whole heap of other problems from feet to knees to hips etc...

As someone who has had significant foot problems since my last Camino in 2019 I can only support what Tinker has already said. After years of fruitless interventions and the seeming end of my “walking for pleasure” days I have only just began to stop “hobbling” and started to walk without a limp and for pure joy. I’m 72, by the way. What changed my situation was a diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis and the provision of NHS orthotics. At times I was very despondent. Please seek proper professional advice as every single one of us has our own profile and problems. I truly wish you well!

How much would visiting a podiatrist in the US cost if you just paid out of pocket?
I’m in Australia and my podiatrist charges about AUS$90 without insurance - so not cheap - but not that expensive either.
$350-500. The US health care system is insane.

I got sick in Indonesia and for $110 a team of three medical care professionals came to my hotel room within half an hour, took my blood, processed the lab work, and gave me a full report within four hours. Amazing! Of course I don't expect anything that cheap in the US, but the level of care here, in my opinion, has really slipped and is getting further away from Hippocrates oath and actual care. :-(

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's about $60US. Seems very cheap to me!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Altra Olympus trail runners (in case you’ve got the less-cushioned Lone Peak model).
I have three different thickness of Altra. Thanks for the tip.

The Olympus are the only ones I returned. I love the thickness but the shoe itself is so thick that it's uncomfortable. Is that your preferred shoe? I found the shoe material too inflexible to be comfy. 🤗

When I started getting pain on the ball of my foot during training for CF, I tried metatarsel pads without success. Ended up getting orthotics which worked great ( zero blisters zero pain in Hoka Challengers) but they are really expensive. And it looks to me like they work the same as the pads- they raise up the middle of my foot creating less pressure on the ball. So, I would go to a pro as first choice as others suggest but if that is not an option, try finding the right placement and thickness of a metatarsal pad. Good luck!
Thank you. I've tried the Hoka but they are too narrow for me. Fancy shoes though.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don’t know how serious your pain is. If they’re minor you might try some self-care. If they’re really serious you’ll have to bite the bullet and talk to a podiatrist. Try to find a good one, they’re not all equal.

And I totally understand, medical costs can be ruinous in the US. It gets up to a few thousand dollars so quickly.

If the corns are the primary problem, you could start by trying to self treat those. You can just search for information online but basically you soak your feet to soften them up and then use a pumice stone to knock down the corns. I had some minor corns in and I was able to get rid of them by using a cheap pumice-like nail file.

I had metatarsalgia (inflammation of the ball of the foot) and my podiatrist suggested I try these:

You put the metatarsal pads behind the ball of the foot instead of directly underneath. What they do is lift the ball slightly so it doesn’t impact the ground as much. There’s probably YouTube videos. You can put them on the bottom of the removable insoles instead of directly on your foot. Obviously a podiatrist could potentially position or shape them better.

You can also buy over-the-counter orthotics aimed at ball of foot pain:

You can double up by putting the metatarsal pads underneath the orthotics.

The metatarsal pads and the orthotics did make my feet more comfortable, although I don't think they helped alleviate the problem.

And I would say that the orthotics help more than the metatarsal pads. I did use over-the-counter orthotics, but I also had custom ones.

I have a lot of foot problems, and ensuring the comfort of your feet is possibly the most important thing for a successful Camino.
Thanks so much.

I think what people who haven’t dealt with the US medical system don’t understand is that our insurance system is designed to discourage you from seeking medical care.

It’s quite common to have to pay the first $5000 to $7000 of your medical costs before the medical insurance will start paying for anything.

So if you live here and are of moderate income, you understand that unless it’s a life-threatening emergency, Doctors are your last resort.

If you live in most of Europe or one of the Commonwealth countries, your relationship with healthcare is completely different.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
About ten days.
You're in a tough spot. I would stay off my feet as much as possible until the Camino-- except to test shoes and pads etc.

You'll have to pay a bit of a physical price because of the layoff when you begin your Camino but the rest might be great for your foot.

Or maybe you are in a position to adjust days once you get there?

This situation while the clock is ticking must be stressing you out.

The Olympus are the only ones I returned. I love the thickness but the shoe itself is so thick that it's uncomfortable. Is that your preferred shoe? I found the shoe material too inflexible to be comfy. 🤗
Yes the Olympus is my favourite trail runner. I’ve had a few different Olympus models. I did the French Camino in the Olympus 5 - which I found very comfy. I also have the leather version which is a lot stiffer but the cloth version I used on the Camino wasn’t stiff or inflexible at all.

Last edited:
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17

I had custom shoe inserts made by a podiatrist. Got me through a camino with no foot problems. Not even one blister or pain. It has tiny holes punched on the top part which keep moisture away from skin.

It sounds like you have done all you can here (US), so considering the little time left before your trip, I'd plan on taking advantage of the lower cost of medical care in Europe. Note that while it is much cheaper, they may make you wait, depending on location. You may have to hunt around for fast service.

Hoka's are great, but some models are narrow, and/or not available in wide, which will be a problem for you. If you decide to try Hoka's again, be sure to get wide ones. You should be able to find them in Spain as well, especially in the larger towns. I bought my first Hoka's in a runners store Burgos.

With Altra's you're almost guaranteed enough width, but I'd recommend a high-cushion model for your situation. For walking the Frances it doesn't really matter whether you use road or trail runners, so I'd recommend not focusing on that. My current all-around shoe is the Altra Torin 7, which is a good combination of wide toe box and cushioning, and may work for you as well. But shoes are a very personal thing, and only you will know whether a particular one is right for you. Good luck.

I too have to manage metarsal foot pain. I am training for my second Camino and have recently switched from Hoka Speed Goats to Topo Ultraventure 3's. Both have great stack height that help the metatarsel management but the Topo's have a wide toe box compared to the narrow Hoka's. The Topo's check all the boxes for me.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Update -- my partner bought me a trip to the local podiatrist as a going away present. I got three X-rays and one corn 🌽 taken off my foot 👣 before wiggling so much on the table that the doc stopped. At least good to know it's not serious. I figured it wasn't, but good to get checked out. 🤗 And OMG I'll be taking care of any little hot spot very fast to avoid ever having to go to the podiatrist again.

Hello, sorry to hear your good is giving you grief:( I wear a metatarsal raise, have done for years but still get that "hot sole of the ball of the foot pain" from time to time.....I take a rest, take the boot and sock off and loosen the laces for a while....and where possible, avoid asphalt and gravel!!! This is just what I do.

I'm coming late into this but my wife has the same problem and has been very comfortable with the Topo Athletic Ultraventure women's shoes.

For work reasons she lives abroad part of the year and there where she is she has to walk a long piece of road every day to work and back (18-19 thousand steps per day).

On the other hand she is a very thrifty person and averse to waste (especially towards her things) and does not like to spend “too much” on his clothes... aka more than about 15 euros each item :rolleyes:

But in the end she thanked me so much for insisting that she buy them. I recommend you try them: also very wide, vibram sole.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Hello, sorry to hear your good is giving you grief:( I wear a metatarsal raise, have done for years but still get that "hot sole of the ball of the foot pain" from time to time.....I take a rest, take the boot and sock off and loosen the laces for a while....and where possible, avoid asphalt and gravel!!! This is just what I do.
Thank you.

You're in a tough spot. I would stay off my feet as much as possible until the Camino-- except to test shoes and pads etc.

You'll have to pay a bit of a physical price because of the layoff when you begin your Camino but the rest might be great for your foot.

Or maybe you are in a position to adjust days once you get there?

This situation while the clock is ticking must be stressing you out.
Yes, methinks a good bit of advice from KFH... maybe "pay the physical price" and decrease your stage distances to half or three quarters at the beginning and rest the foot ...you may have to use public transport to adjust your accommodation....and altho the reviews of the metatarsal raises aren't too promising, you never know they just may get YOU out of trouble and take the pressure of the problematical corn. I had mine fitted by my physio...Take it easy and don't forget to pack the meds.....or get them at the farmacia en route!! Good luck!

I am glad that you were gifted a visit to a podiatrist and that you received some relief from your foot problem(s). It might be helpful to know foot clinics or podiatrists available to younon your camino route so that in case you need treatment you know the best places to go….Or, you might ask for recommendations when you arrive at your albergue(s).

Yes, methinks a good bit of advice from KFH... maybe "pay the physical price" and decrease your stage distances to half or three quarters at the beginning and rest the foot ...you may have to use public transport to adjust your accommodation....and altho the reviews of the metatarsal raises aren't too promising, you never know they just may get YOU out of trouble and take the pressure of the problematical corn. I had mine fitted by my physio...Take it easy and don't forget to pack the meds.....or get them at the farmacia en route!! Good luck!
Thank you. I saw the foot doc and had one of three corns removed, the biggest and deepest one. I was too much of a baby to do them all... Man that hurt!

But I'm walking with so much ease now. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🥾👍🏼

Vegancamino, I have a concern, perhaps unwarranted, nevertheless, please allow me to voice my concern, for everyone out there who may have to conserve funds to do their Camino.

If one has limited funds for their camino, staying in donativos or Municipals, and buying groceries at supermarkets will, indeed, cut costs significantly. But if someone is coming from a non EU country, make sure you have medical coverage in The EU.

Accidents happen, people fall, get infections or have some type of event that requires hospitalization. A few even die on the camino yearly. A lack of coverage could result in a bill that would be life changing! It is also unfair to Europeans, that anyone come to The EU without coverage. So please do not go on a Camino without medical coverage.

Vegancamino, I have a concern, perhaps unwarranted, nevertheless, please allow me to voice my concern, for everyone out there who may have to conserve funds to do their Camino.

If one has limited funds for their camino, staying in donativos or Municipals, and buying groceries at supermarkets will, indeed, cut costs significantly. But if someone is coming from a non EU country, make sure you have medical coverage in The EU.

Accidents happen, people fall, get infections or have some type of event that requires hospitalization. A few even die on the camino yearly. A lack of coverage could result in a bill that would be life changing! It is also unfair to Europeans, that anyone come to The EU without coverage. So please do not go on a Camino without medical coverage.
I hear your concern but these things are totally unrelated for the vast majority of people. I have insurance here and abroad. I just can't see a specialist cause that's our system in the US. But major inquiries are covered. Again, that's where the US system shines. Paying $500 to have a corn removed is in no way related to where I'm staying or how much I spend on accommodation. Also, if injured in the EU, Europeans are not picking up that tab. I am. Same in the US. Same pretty much anywhere. However, for me, waiting to see a podiatrist in Spain actually did make more sense than the exorbitant cost to do it here, and was the choice I would have made without trying to just get a recommendation for a foot pad from this group, which I thought would be something people in this group would know about. So far, every question I've had has been met with a lot of underlying frustrations people have about types of things instead of an individual pilgrims actual question. The medium is the message, but it's a bummer.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, I have severe metatarsal foot issues and agree that the best option is a foot doctor - maybe your insurance would cover a visit to an orthotist. They are medical specialists (not MD) whose expertise includes custom inserts. Of the nonprescription orthotics I’ve tried, Birkenstock inserts work best for me. They’re rigid so you’d have to test them out.

So far, every question I've had has been met with a lot of underlying frustrations people have about types of things instead of an individual pilgrims actual question. The medium is the message, but it's a bummer.
most of us on this Forum are very careful and responsible about providing medical advice to another pilgrim and will generally answer as Tincatinker has.

Buena suerte

Last edited:
I just can't see a specialist cause that's our system in the US.
Just for clarity, that's your insurance plan, not necessarily "our system in the US." While much has been made of the cost and quality of US healthcare, I have had both positive and negative experiences on both sides of the pond, but my experience in terms of quality and cost in the US has been generally positive. My insurance is quite average, yet I have no trouble seeing specialists at a reasonable out-of-pocket cost ($35 co-pay for most recent podiatrist visit, same cost for urgent care visits). I recognize that experiences of others in the US vary. But it's unfair to suggest that Americans cannot somehow see specialists without a great financial burden.

Most read last week in this forum

Yesterday I began stage one of my Camino Frances from SJPP to Léon! I finished at Roncesvalles after 9 hours of the challenging but absolutely gorgeous hike from SJPP. However the intensity of the...
What OTC meds can you get in Spain for GERD?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.