• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Outlet type

VeganCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Frances from Saint Jean Pied du Port to Burgos, starting in June.
Hello 🤗 I've heard that it's a good idea to bring a multi prong outlet to share with other pilgrims. I've found two types that both say they work in France and Spain.

I'm curious which you recommend for most albergues? There's one that looks like it would fill the entire opening and one that looks like a flattened hexagon.

Thanks for your advice.

1000020720.png 1000020719.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When they suggest a “multi” outlet, they mean one with multiple USB slits so more than one person can charge their phone at a time. The two you show are too big, too heavy, and really don’t allow for multiple people to easily use them. You really want one with 2 or more USB plug-ins

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would choose the second of the two you illustrate, if you need a NAmerican outlet for something like a laptop.

1/ It folds flat, so it'll be a bit easier to pack.

2/ It's the lower-wattage kind of plug-in (not grounded for big appliances), so no-one will be tempted to use it for anything too powerful like a hair dryer. Adequate for all the small-draw items like laptops, phones, etc. etc.

And you still have, also, 3 extra USB sockets.

Also the one trecile recommends!

Go with @trecile's recommendation. Have a least one port for each of USB A (rectangular) and USB C (oval). USB C is newer so if you get three ports I recommend two Cs. You want an A for those who only have that cord with them.

Europe has a wide configuration of outlets and plugs but there is the type C plug that was designed to fit almost all of their outlets. There is the design used in the UK and Ireland (and I think Malta and Cypress) that it is not DESIGNED to fit.

Neither would be my choice. They look big to me, and you don't need those North American outlets.

I use one similar to this which has a USB C and USB A port.

View attachment 176584`
The shared end ought to be 2-pin, Euro - Schuko plug compatible too. Remember, half of the people who will want to share this outlet splitter will have EU compatible chargers.

On balance, you would be best off with a 2-pin Schuko plug, plus as many USB outlets as possible. I think something like this would work well. I have something similar.

The USB ports are converted to 5W for device charging. The AC outlets only pass through the 220 VAC / 50 Hz local current. So, you are okay charging smart phones directly from the USB outlets, but must still have a converter for anything plugged into the direct outlets.

This dichotomy saves significant weight.

Hope this helps.

Tom

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
You may also have problems with the first one, with the large round plug, depending on where else you might be going. While almost all European countries use the two round prongs, in France, at least, many outlets won't accommodate the big round plug (as I found out a few years back -- and trust me, finding a US prong to EU prong plug in the EU is not a simple endeavor).

Neither would be my choice. They look big to me, and you don't need those North American outlets.

View attachment 176584
I have one that is almost the same as yours. I also have two like this. They are pretty old school but really inexpensive and have always worked well for me. I always used the same two I have for years. A couple of years ago on the VDLP an albergue owner had a basket with things that were left and I took the convertor like yours.
I know the one below is for an American outlet but you get the idea!

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 10

View attachment 176584
Appreciate the recommendation, but the idea is to allow other people to plug in too, which is why the two I picked out are bigger. I'm not attached to either of these, but bigger does allow more pilgrims to use the plug (though maybe older albergues have not so great electrical work?)

I planned to plug in my North American outlet because my plug charges at 60 Watts and these little wall things only charge at 15.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Appreciate the recommendation, but the idea is to allow other people to plug in too, which is why the two I picked out are bigger. I'm not attached to either of these, but bigger does allow more pilgrims to use the plug (though maybe older albergues have not so great electrical work?)

I planned to plug in my North American outlet because my plug charges at 60 Watts and these little wall things only charge at 15.
May I ask what it is that you will be bringing that requires a 60W charge?

the idea is to allow other people to plug in too, so yours won't work.
It will allow one person to charge with a USB-C cable, and another person to charge with the other type of USB. Or for you to charge two such items at once.

Also, I do need the North American outlet because my plug charges at 60 Watts and these little wall things only charge at 15.
You are mixing the "outlet" issue with the power/charging matter. The voltage different between Europe and North America is not an issue for modern electronic devices like phone and computers. (It IS an issue for some electrical items like hair dryers, so you must check the voltage range on the tag on those items.)

The plug on your device has two flat pins. The plugs in Europe have two round pins. You need something that will receive your flat-pins but which itself will plug into the round-pin receptacle ("outlet") in Europe. That is a minor physical adapting function. Very small adapters like this will work - you should use duct take to attach it so you won't leave it behind.
1724346155095.png

For charging, you need something that will accept your phone cable (likely USB-A or USB-C) just like your charger does at home. However, you need to plug it into the European wall outlet, which is why you need either the small adaptor or a charger that was intended for use in Europe. In either, case, chargers are available that charge one or more devices at a time through USB cables.

The charging speed may vary with your device, the cable, and the charger. You can use the same charger you use at home, with the addition of the small adapter shown above. That charger may take one, two, or more devices at once.

If I have mis-stated anything, I hope someone will correct it!

It will allow one person to charge with a USB-C cable, and another person to charge with the other type of USB. Or for you to charge two such items at once.

You are mixing the "outlet" issue with the power/charging matter. The voltage different between Europe and North America is not an issue for modern electronic devices like phone and computers. (It IS an issue for some electrical items like hair dryers, so you must check the voltage range on the tag on those items.)

The plug on your device has two flat pins. The plugs in Europe have two round pins. You need something that will receive your flat-pins but which itself will plug into the round-pin receptacle ("outlet") in Europe. That is a minor physical adapting function. Very small adapters like this will work - you should use duct take to attach it so you won't leave it behind.
View attachment 176593

For charging, you need something that will accept your phone cable (likely USB-A or USB-C) just like your charger does at home. However, you need to plug it into the European wall outlet, which is why you need either the small adaptor or a charger that was intended for use in Europe. In either, case, chargers are available that charge one or more devices at a time through USB cables.

The charging speed may vary with your device, the cable, and the charger. You can use the same charger you use at home, with the addition of the small adapter shown above. That charger may take one, two, or more devices at once.

If I have mis-stated anything, I hope someone will correct it!
You are right on all accounts however I'm still confused about my original question.

There are two possible plug shapes that go into the wall. What I have noticed on previous trips abroad is that one style is clearly favored over another. For example, in Bali I had a plug that should technically fit into the wall, however the larger size round plug that fills the outlet was needed or the "smaller fill" style would fall out.

Hope that makes sense. I may have a photo...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You are right on all accounts however I'm still confused about my original question.

There are two possible plug shapes that go into the wall. What I have noticed on previous trips abroad is that one style is clearly favored over another. For example, in Bali I had a plug that should technically fit into the wall, however the larger size round plug that fills the outlet was needed or the "smaller fill" style would fall out.

Here is an example of needing a plug to completely fill the hole to work... Without my Mcguiver tactics 🤗

PXL_20230809_000428537.jpg

You may also have problems with the first one, with the large round plug, depending on where else you might be going. While almost all European countries use the two round prongs, in France, at least, many outlets won't accommodate the big round plug (as I found out a few years back -- and trust me, finding a US prong to EU prong plug in the EU is not a simple endeavor).
Thank you. That's what I wanted to know. In Bali last year outlets would only work with the large round one.

I have never needed to fill the hole for my charger to work.
I agree. That is an advantage of the small adapter (post #11) - it fits into that type of round outlet.

@VeganCamino - You don't NEED to bring a multi-device charger. I recommend just the small adapter with your normal charger. Do remember the duct-taping, since that type of recessed outlet is a perfect place for forgeting, if it isn't attached!

You don't NEED to bring a multi-device charger.
I agree. I can count on one hand the number of times that I've needed to share my charger. Actually, I've never needed to share it, but have offered a few times. Over the 8 years since my first Camino I've noticed more outlets in albergue dorm rooms than when I started walking Caminos.

If you want to use your charger with North American plug you only need a simple single adapter like @C clearly posted. Or you can purchase a charger with European pins, which is what I use. My phone cable has USB C input and output, but my Fitbit and Bluetooth earphone cables require a USB A port, so my charger has both.

My impression, from Portugal in any case, is that the small, rectangular/ovoid plugs are the older style, pre-grounded circuits, and the bigger round ones are for newer grounded circuits. When we bought our 1962 house, we had a mixture. As others have noted, the pins on the smaller plugs are very slightly narrower, and they work in the newer outlets but can be sloppy and fall out.

We have recently had the house rewired. Now all the outlets, take the rounded plugs, which are the present EU standard. But they also will take those small plugs, which are adequate for small-current items like electronics. For North Americans, think of it as being similar to an item having a 2-prong or a 3-prong plug, if it plugs into the wall.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My impression, from Portugal in any case, is that the small, rectangular/ovoid plugs are the older style, pre-grounded circuits, and the bigger round ones are for newer grounded circuits. When we bought our 1962 house, we had a mixture. As others have noted, the pins on the smaller plugs are very slightly narrower, and they work in the newer outlets but can be sloppy and fall out.

We have recently had the house rewired. Now all the outlets, take the rounded plugs, which are the present EU standard. But they also will take those small plugs, which are adequate for small-current items like electronics. For North Americans, think of it as being similar to an item having a 2-prong or a 3-prong plug, if it plugs into the wall.
Thank you. That's a great explanation and makes total sense. 🤗 Thanks so much.

View attachment 176584

Yep. That's what I use. small and light.
I even found one with 4 ports.
As well as sharing a power point, sometimes I might need to charge multiple devices.
Phone, mini powerbank, headtorch,

Last edited:
May I ask what it is that you will be bringing that requires a 60W charge?
Not sure yet. I'm devicing down as much as possible, and definitely not bringing a hair dryer 😜 but why not charge fast and move along and let others use the plug 🔌 is my thought on it.

I use this and am fully satisfied with quality and price.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back