Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Our Lady of Orisson Statue

The 5 McC's

the 6mcs
Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago July 2014 and SJJP to estella 2015. Planning Estella to Bolerado 2016
Hello, 10 years ago just padt Orrison we stopped and took photo of the statue off our lady. Last Saturday 27 July we passed and did not see the statue, does anyone know if it has been removed or did we just not see it due to a heavy mist. Thank you

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nothing was said by anyone recently; Im sure if it was removed for some reason - we'd all know.
If you feel that the fog\mist was "heavy" it is possible that you just went right by it
As we also know some only too well - when it gets foggy & misty in Pyrenees you can't see as far as your arm goes.

Just ask poor Daniel Avery.....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello, 10 years ago just padt Orrison we stopped and took photo of the statue off our lady. Last Saturday 27 July we passed and did not see the statue, does anyone know if it has been removed or did we just not see it due to a heavy mist. Thank you
Here is a pano taken by a pilgrim in Aug 2022

Pano of Virgin

Has the statue been moved, then? It's a while since I was there, but my memory is it was right beside the Camino, up on a rock.

And when my wife and I visited in 2004, the baby's head had been replaced by a doll's. Looked very funny!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can see in this "pano" the how far the statue is from the parking lot, which is adjacent to the Camino. I don't think that it's visible from the trail, especially in fog or rain.
The closest you get with Google Street view Car (which follows Camino here) is this one where if you zoom in the statue is that spike above the rock

Street View

That is why is is so fantastic IMHO when an actual pilgrim does a DIY Trekker Panorama for the benefit of all for a specific spot such as this

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The statue of the Virgin of Baikorri or Virgin of Orisson is about 100 m to the left of the Camino road which turns right at the level of the car park. Below is the view for a pilgrim at that spot, as shown in Google Earth. Can you spot the statue? I can but it is because I know where it is and because there was no fog on the day the camera on the roof of the Google car recorded it.

A local pilgrimage takes place on the Sunday following (or nearest to?) the Assumption of Mary on 15 August. There may be a report in the local press like this one:

Baikorri.jpg

Last edited:
3 times been past it, only seen it once. Fog, mist, rain all hide it

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here?
1722670078559.jpeg
It is so long since I used the app, in the end I had to use a finger instead of the pencil!
As I began in Roncesvalles, it was not on my radar. It will not be something I will see with my own eyes.
The past, our history.
Even if we do not know, it is part of us!
Thanks again, @Kathar1na. Your gimlet eye misses very little!

A local pilgrimage takes place on the Sunday following (or nearest to?) the Assumption of Mary on 15 August. There may be a report in the local press
I checked the local parish announcements: The pilgrimage to the Virgin of Orisson with open-air mass is scheduled for Sunday, 18 August 2024.

Baikorri mass.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is this what you were looking for? This was what we saw on May 16, 2024

Attachments

• IMG_3017.jpeg
    IMG_3017.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Is this what you were looking for? This was what we saw on May 16, 2024
Yes thank you we couldn’t see it last week fog/mist must off been too heavy

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back