• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nuns Selling Cookies/Sweets in Nájera?

Cuttooth

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016), (2020), (2022)
Many years ago, I bought some cookies or sweets from some nuns in Nájera. At least, I believe they were nuns because someone in town told me so, and everything was exchanged through a passthrough where you couldn't see the person on the other side. Does anyone know what or where I'm referring to? I'm pretty sure it was near the Monasterio Santa Elena, Clarisas de Nájera.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many years ago, I bought some cookies or sweets from some nuns in Nájera. At least, I believe they were nuns because someone in town told me so, and everything was exchanged through a passthrough where you couldn't see the person on the other side. Does anyone know what or where I'm referring to? I'm pretty sure it was near the Monasterio Santa Elena, Clarisas de Nájera.

The Monasterio Santa Elena, Clarisas de Nájera on their web state that they have a small shop. See photos and more here.

Last edited:
Many years ago, I bought some cookies or sweets from some nuns in Nájera. At least, I believe they were nuns because someone in town told me so, and everything was exchanged through a passthrough where you couldn't see the person on the other side. Does anyone know what or where I'm referring to? I'm pretty sure it was near the Monasterio Santa Elena, Clarisas de Nájer

Still there in May 2024, but only open certain hours so go by there as soon as you arrive, to see what hours they are open.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
Such a thing has appeared on British TV in a Michael Portillo travelogue and a Jane MacDonald series. , unfortunately I cannot recall the location, Michael's may have been Nájera, he has walked the Camino and had done other walks/exploration in Spain as he is of Spanish extraction.

There are convents all across the caminos that create and sell baked goodies. Some of them use "turns" so you can't see who's inside; others are more open, in a shop setting. I know the Clarisas in Castrojeriz bake amazing "twinkie" kinds of cakes. The Benedictinas in Sahagun bake fabulous almond cookies. Lots of these have wonderful names: "Bones of San Lorenzo," "Sighs of the Novices," etc. In Santiago de Compostela there was a shop near Ivar's office that sells all kinds of home-made monastic goods -- cakes and cookies, preserves, honey, tapenades, olives, as well as rosaries and altar cloths.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are convents all across the caminos that create and sell baked goodies. Some of them use "turns" so you can't see who's inside; others are more open, in a shop setting. I know the Clarisas in Castrojeriz bake amazing "twinkie" kinds of cakes. The Benedictinas in Sahagun bake fabulous almond cookies. Lots of these have wonderful names: "Bones of San Lorenzo," "Sighs of the Novices," etc. In Santiago de Compostela there was a shop near Ivar's office that sells all kinds of home-made monastic goods -- cakes and cookies, preserves, honey, tapenades, olives, as well as rosaries and altar cloths.

Great information. I will add them to my list.

I’ve been pleased to buy various baked products from convents all over Spain, I see it as a donation as the products have rarely exceeded expectations.

In Zaragoza recently I saw the attached which is unlikely to come from an actual convent.IMG_1944.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Stopped in at a Starbucks in Vancouver today. I don’t care for Starbucks but was with a friend who likes it. A latte or similar at Starbucks costs around €4. That’s a typical price for any coffee...
This has all happened in the past two weeks between finishing the Camino and coming home, so it's still fresh and technically open-ended, but the energy I get from her is negative. This is a very...
Greetings! I am planning to walk the Camino Frances next month and am thinking of doing it with only a flip phone and the Brierly book. I think that walking without a newsfeed, social media...
Hi everyone, I leave for my Camino in a few short weeks and am trying to figure out what the washing machine situation is. I will be traveling on the CP from Porto and hoping to take the coastal...
76 year old male looking to do another Camino around April 2025. Completed CF from SJPP in 2022 and Portuguese from Porto earlier this year. I’ve looked at del Norte, but wanted to keep days...
The affect of a church on each of us is highly subjective and possibly based on many considerations, including; location, architecture, a particular statue, perhaps a memory inspired by an art...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.