• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New to Me observation

William Garza

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
Looking up a Camino Real in Texas that connected various missions long out of sight and mind...
I was near one on private property but did not walk a kilometer or two because
Fat
Snakes
Spiders....

There seem to be a few hidden away in the Louisiana and Texas back woods
But i digressed

Found this map to a Camino Real that seems strangely familiar...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240814_015716_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240814_015716_Google.jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 1,969
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Apologies for asking but what do you mean?

When I googled for the origin of this map, geo-caching webpages turned up as the source. At first I had thought that the codes denote somebody's photographs but they must be codes for geo-caching places.

Is it about the term "Camino Real"? In Spain, Camino Real (Royal Road) denoted the highway that in the 16th century connected the cities of Gijón, León, and Madrid; the word then became, in Spain, to mean any important highway.

The expression "Camino de Santiago" to denote the collection of roads from Saint-Jean-de-Port (or from Roncesvalles) to Santiago de Compostela is a fairly modern expression. It did not have this name in the Middle Ages.

I don't know what "Camino Real" means in Texas. Or in California for that matter.

Is it about the term "Camino Real"? In Spain, Camino Real (Royal Road) denoted the highway that in the 16th century connected the cities of Gijón, León, and Madrid; the word then became, in Spain, to mean any important highway.
Very similar in English. It used to be fairly common to refer to any public road in the UK as "the King's (or Queen's) highway". Archaic now though.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

When I googled for the origin of this map, geo-caching webpages turned up as the source. At first I had thought that the codes denote somebody's photographs but they must be codes for geo-caching places.

The expression "Camino de Santiago" to denote the collection of roads from Saint-Jean-de-Port (or from Roncesvalles) to Santiago de Compostela is a fairly modern expression. It did not have this name in the Middle Ages.

I don't know what "Camino Real" means in Texas. Or in California for that matter.
It was a Geo Caching page! Where i found using the search term Camino Real.

It looks like it follows along the Camino Frances, I dont know timelines of the Caminos, but wondered if a King established? Or used established route for the "Royal Road"? for him and his businesses to travel.

Camino Real in the States basically carry the same meaning as mentioned.

There has to be a commerce and the business of a/the Camino but ime a bit slow at these things

El Camino Real is the name for the old route in California that connected the Catholic missions in what was then “New Spain.” Parts of the route still exist and the name El Camino Real denotes several streets along the trail, including a very long avenue that stretches a great distance in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Sadly, most of the original trail has been built over and modernized into a freeway system. Efforts have been made to establish the California Mission Trail connecting many of the historic settlements between Sonoma and San Diego in a continuous walking path, but it’s a tough route with little support for walkers.

El Camino Real is the name for the old route in California that connected the Catholic missions in what was then “New Spain.” Parts of the route still exist and the name El Camino Real denotes several streets along the trail, including a very long avenue that stretches a great distance in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Sadly, most of the original trail has been built over and modernized into a freeway system. Efforts have been made to establish the California Mission Trail connecting many of the historic settlements between Sonoma and San Diego in a continuous walking path, but it’s a tough route with little support for walkers.

The route i was alluding to in the East Texas /Louisiana piney woods is long gone.some various missions buried and overgrown. The farmer I was helping up deep in the woods told me about ruins and of the "road"
My wanderlust kicked in but i would have lost myself in time to explore
Plus spiders...

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Very similar in English. It used to be fairly common to refer to any public road in the UK as "the King's (or Queen's) highway". Archaic now though.

There would have been 'the King's highway" in the States - at least until 1776.

I don't know about the UK and the USA but in Spain, according to an entry in the ES Wikipedia, Camino Real was a road built by the state, wider than usual and linking important cities. "Royal" meant that it was an important road, built by the central government, not that kings designed or travelled on them.

The Roman roads had also been built by a central government. After the dissolution of the Roman Empire they were no longer maintained and disintegrated. It was many centuries later that a proper road system developed again.

There are sometimes posts about the "Via Regia" on the forum, a newly created or revived European Cultural Road and a "Camino" for contemporary pilgrim. Via Regia is Latin for royal road. The DE Wikipedia says: Via Regia was originally a legal status in the medieval road system. In the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation, they were trade routes that were under the protection of the royal central power. They were also under special peace protection. In a general sense, the term did not originally refer to a specific road, but to a type of road.

Those are definitely geocache IDs, identifying caches that people have hidden.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Even though it's not set up for walkers, people walk it - including my friend who very much enjoyed her journey despite the difficulties!

Looking up a Camino Real in Texas that connected various missions long out of sight and mind...
I was near one on private property but did not walk a kilometer or two because
Fat
Snakes
Spiders....

There seem to be a few hidden away in the Louisiana and Texas back woods
But i digressed

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back