• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New rule reported: 2 stamps per day within Spain [awaiting confirmation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Tallan

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
EDITED TO ADD: Update just posted by Johnniewalker:

Are there new rules on the number of stamps needed per day to obtain the Compostela?
My recent post followed two emails from Pilgrim Associations regarding this change - one also included the new wording of the Pilgrim Credencial. However the Pilgrim Office has not updated their website with these new rules so we should wait until then to react!

ORIGINAL POST:

Not just the last 100 km.

Reported by Johnniewalker Santiago, generally a reputable source, in a Facebook post:
NEW RULES – 2 STAMPS PER DAY WITHIN SPAIN – NO MATTER THE STARTING POINT
It is reported that the Pilgrims’ Office in Santiago has informed the world pilgrim associations that pilgrims wishing to obtain the Compostela certificate must have two stamps per day on an official credencial within Spain in addition to meeting the distance requirement– NO MATTER WHERE THEIR PILGRIMAGE STARTED.

1723207929225.png

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can imagine this one causing a lot of consternation. Are the pilgrim office really going to refuse a Compostela to someone who walks all the way from Porto or SJPDP who does not have two stamps per day right from the start but who does have two stamps per day in the final 100km? But they will still grant a Compostela to someone who walks just the minimum qualifying distance with the requisite two stamps per day? Hard to see the logic behind that.

What a weird rule. So if i start in St.Jean, don't know about that rule, find out halfway... do i have to "lose" my credential in Sarria and start a fresh one so i can follow the two stamp rule? Doesnt make sense.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And what about the sections of routes within Portugal?

Looks to me like the announcement could have used a bit of proof-reading.

As I read it: the rule applies to Spain and routes that connect from France or Portugal or Ireland are not impacted (how could they be? One country’s laws do not apply to any other’s without a treaty for these kinds of things, and this is not even a law… it’s a rule about qualifying for a piece of paper).
Hospitalieros will surely be notified and will inform people on the trail (IF it is to take effect as of the release of information date). And I would think a grace period, yes.
I’m sure that the goal is something like: reduce overall numbers on the route with this ‘disincentive’ and maintain the same amount of economic in-flow to the small towns along any way.
Some routes, like the San Salvador will not be effected, as that one doesn’t have anything to do with the compostela and can count only toward a distancia (which has no stamp requirement).
More curious about routes like the Baztanés between Urdax and Trinidade de Arre (a route one has to explain in the office anyway). What about other very rudimentary routes where 2 stamps would be tricky (parts of almost any north-south route coming up from southern Spain)? Perhaps you stamp in your albergue when you arrive one day, and again when you leave?
For Spain, I think this is a good idea… cut down traffic (they are not uncomfortable telling tourists that they are not welcome to come to demand that Spain put tourist demands first over local cultures and local needs) and retain total spending. Genius. If it works…
What could be very negatively impacted, regardless of total tourist spending, would be the albergues that provide no food services as they would stand to lose the traffic of those who are put off by the new rule.
Me? I stopped collecting the compostela at number 6… so rather than worry about stamps I can just do my thing, and not worry about it. I spend about double now what I did on my first walk — more menus del did, more rooms instead of dorms… so I own’t be hurting the local economy in ignoring 2-stamp thing.

What a weird rule. So if i start in St.Jean, don't know about that rule, find out halfway... do i have to "lose" my credential in Sarria and start a fresh one so i can follow the two stamp rule? Doesnt make sense.
If you start out from anywhere you should have noticed that the most commonplace credential says at the top of each page:

"En la casillas debera figurar el sello de cada localidad (AL MENOS DOS POR DIA) con la fecha, para acreditar so paso.

(Their capitals not mine)

I've been arguing this point for years - glad it's being reinforced.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
If you start out from anywhere you should have noticed that the most commonplace credential says at the top of each page:

"En la casillas debera figurar el sello de cada localidad (AL MENOS DOS POR DIA) con la fecha, para acreditar so paso.

For those of us that cannot read Spanish, this is the google translation of what Jeff Crawley posted:

"The stamp of each location must appear in the boxes (AT LEAST TWO PER DAY) with the date, to prove your passage."

I agree that this makes no sense.
The minimum distance that one needs to walk to receive a Compostela is 100 km. Why should it matter how many stamps there are in the credential prior to the final 100 km?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
THe wording is not clear, but I am confident that this is intended to reinforce that pilgrims need 2 stamps per day in the last 100 km, EVEN IF they have started from far away e.g. SJPP.
Fervently hoping @C clearly is correct, as I have credentials with singleton stamps from Prague to Fromista, planning to finish this September.

THe wording is not clear, but I am confident that this is intended to reinforce that pilgrims need 2 stamps per day in the last 100 km, EVEN IF they have started from far away e.g. SJPP.
This is what a steel-trap logical mind like @C Clearly’s would conclude, because any other interpretation is just nonsensical. As others have pointed out on the thread, if you can get a compostela with two stamps a day starting in Sarria, what possible difference do those pre-Sarria make to your compostela bona fides? Or, as @Anhalter suggested, should I just get a new credential and start my pilgrimage in Sarria?

It surely can’t be that the cathedral is trying to decrease traffic on the pre-100 km parts of any camino, because most of those areas are experiencing declines, not increases in numbers!

I agree with you. When I read it in a link posted elsewhere, the requirement for two stamps a day was under the section for “requirements to get a Compostela” and it followed the requirement to walk 100km/cycle 200. I’m reading it like I would a legal document in the USA…. So there’s that. It makes no sense to require 2 stamps in sections that aren’t even required to be walked. Although most pilgrims collect way more, but I wonder if the volunteer at the Pilgrims office will now be required to count stamps for each day walked and would deny a Compostela. There are route where two stamps are not possible every day

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Some quick internet sleuthing (looking at the Spanish version of the page in the Internet Archive) appears to show that the Spanish wording has included this requirement since November of 2021.
The snapshot taken on November 3rd 2021 has the old wording ( 2 stamps for last 100km ), but the snapshot for November 22nd removes the "last 100km" requirement.

It will be interesting to see if this is really a new development, or if it is an administrative mix up.

November 3 2021
November 22 2021

Edited after a second cup of coffee.. even though the Spanish and English versions are different, the Spanish version does not imply 2 stamps are needed for the whole journey, it simply does not set a requirement outside of the last 100km (200km for bikes). So there does not really appear to be any change.

Last edited:

ORIGINAL POST:

Reported by Johnniewalker Santiago, generally a reputable source, in a Facebook post:

View attachment 175870
We are three quarters of our way through the Camino Norte and have been very vigilant to get a stamp each day. Sometimes it’s difficult because lots of churches are either closed or the priest hard to find. Can’t have a book full of albergue and bar stamps. It’s against the spirit the walk.

It’s against the spirit the walk.
I do not think so.
According to me, stamps have 2 functions: remembering good places to be, and proving you have done the Camino in order to get a Compostela.
Even in a christian perspective, stamps have little to do with "the spirit of the walk". For instance, the donativo of Grañon, located inside the church building, does not provide stamp because its founder, a priest, was afraid about a possible "stamps colllection competition"...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If one start his camino in Sevilla or SJPDP he must have more than 1 credential, there is no enough space for so many cellos
On all the Caminos that I've walked that have been more than a couple of weeks, I've filled more than one credencial. My first credencial isn't coming readily to hand (I really need to clean my office!) but rest assured that there was nowhere near enough spaces for a modern Camino. I think there were about 16 named squares for stamps between Roncesvalles and Santiago. Maybe as many as 20 or 24.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My first credencial isn't coming readily to hand (I really need to clean my office!) but rest assured that there was nowhere near enough spaces for a modern Camino. I think there were about 16 named squares for stamps between Roncesvalles and Santiago. Maybe as many as 20 or 24.
The one I received in Roncesvalles the following year did not have named squares. Just 5 blank pages. Including the final sello from the cathedral I think I had 26 sellos in total.

IMG_20240809_165916~2.jpg

As Johnniewalker says, I would panic or be too concerned yet. It hasn't been confirmed directly by the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. And even when it comes in, I am confident that people who have started walking before it is widely publicized won't be held to it. But, if you haven't started walking yet, and a Compostela is important to you, it probably wouldn't hurt to collect two stamps in Spain where feasible.

An alternate interpretation. It is possible to walk a 100 km Camino not entirely in Spain. This would be the case if one starts the Camino Ingles in A Coruña, having walked the first 26 km on an approved route elsewhere (I know there are a number in the UK and Ireland, and a few elsewhere). Perhaps this would be clarifying that for these pilgrims, 2 stamps per day only applies to the portion of their Camino in Spain (if it is true).

The one I received in Roncesvalles the following year did not have named squares. Just 5 blank pages. Including the final sello from the cathedral I think I had 26 sellos in total.

View attachment 175874
Mine wasn't an accordion fold, just a larger piece of cardstock folded in half with, thus, four sides. It came from the Estella association and was specific to a start in Roncesvalles. I don't think there was one for SJPP, but I heard there was one for Jaca.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
As Johnniewalker says, I would panic or be too concerned yet. It hasn't been confirmed directly by the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. And even when it comes in, I am confident that people who have started walking before it is widely publicized won't be held to it. But, if you haven't started walking yet, and a Compostela is important to you, it probably wouldn't hurt to collect two stamps in Spain where feasible.

An alternate interpretation. It is possible to walk a 100 km Camino not entirely in Spain. This would be the case if one starts the Camino Ingles in A Coruña, having walked the first 26 km on an approved route elsewhere (I know there are a number in the UK and Ireland, and a few elsewhere). Perhaps this would be clarifying that for these pilgrims, 2 stamps per day only applies to the portion of their Camino in Spain (if it is true).
Now, that's a possibility...

Let's hope that @C clearly 's interpretation is correct otherwise this rule (which hasn't been confirmed) is utterly crazy. Many of us have been on Camino routes where it was not even possible to get a second stamp during a stage. Heck, even this past summer on the Sanabrés I walked from Oseira to Silleda (40 km) without one bar or other entity being open - nothing in Castro Dozón or even in A Laxe!

Can’t have a book full of albergue and bar stamps. It’s against the spirit the walk.
Au contraire!! First, the albergues are part of the spirit of the Camino, and the most reliable source of sellos. Any sello from accommodation serves the Camino Office's need to know that you were actually in that place. And in most places, the cafés are the restaurants are the bars, and the volunteers in Santiago know Spain well enough to know that you were sustaining yourself, not going on a lush and a rant. And in any case I would never raise a glass without thinking of the saint, a practice which all would do well to emulate.

Still, you can also get them from municipalities (either at the ayuntamiento or the casa cultural) or the police, either at their posts or from constables patrolling the Camino.

The volunteers in Santiago assume only the best of pilgrims and we have to work hard to persuade them otherwise.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
My first credencial came from the Confraternity of Saint James of South Africa. I may have been the only American member of the CSAofSJ in 2008. :cool:
It was in a booklet form and had about 80 (not sure) spaces for sellos.
I have had many credencials from different issuing organizations including those in Italy and Portugal and covering most of the camino routes.
None have had enough spaces to insure one per day...for a long distance route....except the excellent South African one.

Last edited:
Two stamps a day on the Aragon would likely be impossible as it would on some parts of other camino routes without much support. I think this is simply a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing…

My first credencial came from the Confraternity of Saint James of South Africa. I may have been the only American member of the CSAofSJ in 2008. :cool:
It was in a booklet form and had about 80 (not sure) spaces for sellos.
I have had many credencials from different issuing "agencies" including those in Italy and Portugal and covering most of the camino routes.
None have had enough spaces to insure one per day...for a long distance route....except the excellent South African one.
Buy two in advance, staple them together? My largest credential is three, I've seen two (Vienna to SdC) that were made up of five!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ah, c'mon. I'd hope that seekers of the Pilgrim Proficiency Certificate were entirely capable of wobbling, in a controlled manner, around the obstacles set out by the Pilgrims Office. Otherwise why are they aspiring to the Certificate?

Meanwhile, Pilgrims to the shrine of the Apostle may like to note that the roads may be busier or quieter or even entirely cluttered by philatelists and that there is an increasing risk of ink shortages throughout Europe should you want to send a postcard home

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is obviously being sent to organizations that issue credentials. Note the part that I bolded.

English translation:

*Important Notice*

To be taken into account when issuing credentials

After the latest notifications issued by the Cathedral of Santiago, Pilgrim's Office, on the use of the Credential, and after the meetings held in Santiago on this same subject, we inform you of the

OBLIGATORY NEED, to obtain the COMPOSTELA, to STAMP SAID CREDENTIAL TWICE A DAY, in Spain, REGARDLESS OF THE PLACE OF DEPARTURE.

*ALWAYS, in Spain, *TWICE A DAY*

PEREGRINOS A SANTIAGO GROUP

I think that it was clumsily written, and agree with @C clearly that it's probably meant to reiterate that everyone, regardless of starting place needs two stamps per day in the last 100 km.

The two stamps per day verbiage has been on every credential I have that was issued by the cathedral since my first Camino in 2016.

1000032680.jpg

I think that it was clumsily written, and agree with @C clearly that it's probably meant to reiterate that everyone, regardless of starting place needs two stamps per day in the last 100 km.

Maybe.. maybe not. There were stirrings about it today. Let's wait and see what comes of it all rather than speculate.

To me, personally, the coolest souvenir I ever take back from a walk in Spain is a credential filled with stamps from the places I visited. They are so beautiful. They often use different colors, and it kind of turns into a piece of art. Ok, I'll do the 2 stamps a day thing if that is the new rule... but that also requires something: there have to be places with stamps available to support the requirement. Sometimes I am out way out there...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have completed 3 Caminos, 2018 from Leon, 2022 from SJPdP & 2024 from Porto. Never less than 2 stamps per day with all 3 Camino's stamps in the one Irish Society of St James Camino Passport.
Have not worried about Compostellas but the passport is the most precious document.
PS Picked up the Irish Passport in Dubin in 2017 when travelling through Ireland from Australia.

ORIGINAL POST:

View attachment 175870
the regulations have still not been updated if this is real. However if real not a big deal..apparently lots of places have the stamps.

Every pilgrim should have their own personal stamp and we can stamp each other's credentials on the way. Ultimate solution for the introverts is to have your own set of stamps. An emergency stamp might be created from a potato.
As for now there is only a stamp, a place, and a date needed. No official guide of authorised stamps issued yet (supported with AI recognition technology at the pilgrim's office)
You're welcome :)

Last edited:
Ah, c'mon. I'd hope that seekers of the Pilgrim Proficiency Certificate were entirely capable of wobbling, in a controlled manner, around the obstacles set out by the Pilgrims Office. Otherwise why are they aspiring to the Certificate?

Meanwhile, Pilgrims to the shrine of the Apostle may like to note that the roads may be busier or quieter or even entirely cluttered by philatelists and that there is an increasing risk of ink shortages throughout Europe should you want to send a postcard home
Too funny. Fresh credential for the 100 km points?

Does anyone (Yunta marketing dept?) produce a list of the qualifying 100 km starting points? Why start the Portuguese in Portugal, or even Tui, when O Porrio will do?

Might free up space for a journey for religious or spiritual reasons, or at least an attitude of search.

Good point Anna. Not that I'm a collector but, from what I've seen, a place, a date (and optional sketch) are all that is needed.

I'm sure somewhere on this board there's a lengthy thread that would explain to me the history of stamps, sellos, and the credential booklets on the camino...?

What in the world did the long-suffering medieval pilgrim do that was walking the Camino circa say, 1580…?

I can understand your reasoning and no I do not know why the "two stamps" per day rule now applies to whole camino (instead of the last 100km). I would suggest that if your credential has stamps where virtually every day has consecutive day/date stamps that run in chronological order (east to west) then I strongly doubt you will be denied your Compostela. Buen Camino.

I wonder if the volunteer at the Pilgrims office will now be required to count stamps for each day walked and would deny a Compostela. y
Most of the time I don’t think they even count the stamps from the last 100km. The person who gave me my Compostela in December barely glanced at my credential.

I would suggest that if your credential has stamps where virtually every day has consecutive day/date stamps that run in chronological order (east to west) then I strongly doubt you will be denied your Compostela.
Exactly my experience so far, but lets see how they handle it in the future. Hopefully the volunteers in the office will still hand out the certificates with some common sense. Not that important for me, i only framed my first compostela, the others are still sitting in their roll, but i would hate for someone on their first camino, having walked for weeks, being denied theirs for a technicality.

Don't know if there's truth to this, or if it's just some result of Chinese Whispers, but if it were true, it seems weird and unenforceable.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

On reflection, I do think that @C clearly ’s interpretation is most likely to be correct.

The pilgrim reception office is - for purposes of the Compostela - only interested in sellos covering the qualifying distance, which for those on foot, lies entirely within Spain. (It does still, however, leave the anomaly of cyclists on the Portuguese routes)

Frequently when the question of ‘two stamps’ is raised on here we see comments from those who have not met the requirement, albeit they have started well outside the qualifying distance, but who have still been awarded a Compostela and I suspect it is that which might now be more rigorously enforced.

In communicating to the organisations permitted to issue credenciales perhaps the PO is asking for the requirement to be clearly stated, as it is on the ‘official’ credenciales?

On reflection, I do think that @C clearly ’s interpretation is most likely to be correct.

The pilgrim reception office is - for purposes of the Compostela - only interested in sellos covering the qualifying distance, which for those on foot, lies entirely within Spain. (It does still, however, leave the anomaly of cyclists on the Portuguese routes)

Frequently when the question of ‘two stamps’ is raised on here we see comments from those who have not met the requirement, albeit they have started well outside the qualifying distance, but who have still been awarded a Compostela and I suspect it is that which might now be more rigorously enforced.

In communicating to the organisations permitted to issue credenciales perhaps the PO is asking for the requirement to be clearly stated, as it is on the ‘official’ credenciales?
Yep.. Think your dog has the right idea until we hear from an official source in writing.. best to stick our heads in the sand and wait :p

I wonder, is this one way of putting a small roadblock in the way of those that bus from point to point? (Surely not!)

As for myself, I've always stopped for a coffee or pee break and got a second stamp each time. So, to be selfish, two stamps a day wont affect me unless its very stricly monitored. Having said that, I think that there are a couple of stretches on my upcoming Camino Primitivo that might catch me out.

But, I do agree with the comments above and if its to be carried out, then advance notice would be required so as not to screw up any caminos already in progress (including multi part caminos)

I have a very nice Santiago Matamoros stamp for Antigny, in the department of the Vienne, for your collections if you care to pass on the Tours route.
I don't think you need to worry. Just add plain paper pages with sticky tape if you need more room. I once turned up with a home made credential that I used from home, stuck to the one I got at Roncesvalles.

Every pilgrim should have their own personal stamp and we can stamp each other's credentials on the way. Ultimate solution for the introverts is to have your own set of stamps. An emergency stamp might be created from a potato.
As for now there is only a stamp, a place, and a date needed. No official guide of authorised stamps issued yet (supported with AI recognition technology at the pilgrim's office)
You're welcome :)
At last, some sense!
If y'all stopped for just 30 seconds to think about this you'd realise it's nonsense. But I guess it makes for a nice chat.
The Pilgrims' Office/Xunta has no jurisdiction beyond Galicia. The Credencial serves two functions - to validate pilgrimage undertaken over the last 100km to Santiago (using a 2-stamp rule) and to let accommodation providers (within and outwith Galicia) see that you are undertaking a pilgrimage by whatever means, so they can decide whether to admit you or not.
As Anna Sar says, unless the Pilgrims' Office has an amazing AI scanner with a database of 100,000+ stamps from all of Spain - and can read those half stamps where the hospi hasn't quite got the inking right - then there is no reference for what is/isn't a valid stamp, and you might as well fashion your own from a potato.

Last edited:
I have long ago sufficed w 2 Compostelas, one for myself and one for my father in Vicare Pro..

Don´t really need any more diplomas in my life, I have proved to myself, that I made it.

I just join the queue in the office and let my final stamp tally in the statistics...
As to Credentials, I have glued extra pages from a secondary credential when entering the office and this has not been frowned upon..

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I wonder, is this one way of putting a small roadblock in the way of those that bus from point to point? (Surely not!)

Unlikely, and nothing is fool proof anyway. Cheats, if they're determined enough to get a compostela, lie and find a way, all day, every day. One such actor even posted on here recently about taking the bus to Santiago (and ironically, commented about seeing taxi pilgrims out the window) and not only got his compostela, but a free lunch too.

But discretion is still the order of the day, the pilgrim's word usually accepted and off they go, happy. And sometimes innocent ones, with minor discrepancies get denied their prize and leave disappointed. Life is unfair sometimes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
and can read those half stamps where the hospi hasn't quite got the inking right
I love getting the attractive sellos along the Camino and am inwardly disappointed when their ink pad is either nearly dried out, or smeared half and half. I am always pleasantly surprised when care is taken and they are sometimes near perfect.
I suppose if I were stamping a plethora of credentials every day of the week, I might tire of it and use less care too...or not.

From reading the prose in the new version of the Spanish Credencial, the 2/day part of it is clearly intended to be understood from the context provided in the previous paragraphs about minimum distance.

It's poorly redacted at best IMO, but that is within the constraints created by the tiny amount of text space that was available for them to write in.

TLDR - - I don't think this actually changes anything.

The original facebook post has been changed, so I am going to close the thread until there is more news.

Logic dictates that the office isn’t telling the volunteers to check that a credential starting in Roncesvalles has two stamps a day from the starting point. That would be an enormous and pointless burden.

If the Cathedral were a fly on the wall for some of our forum discussions, the announcement could be seen as a rejection of the frequent assertion of those who have said something like:

“I walked from SJPP and never got two stamps a day, and no one paid any attention to it in the pilgrims office.”

Until we have more news, let’s leave it at this — no matter how far from Santiago you start your camino, when you hit the 100 km mark you must obtain the minimum of two sellos a day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

A question for couples of different sexes: do you sleep separately in the albergues? Do you pay more, and/or is it more complicated to book, to sleep in the same dorm (in separate bunk beds, of...
This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.