• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New member / Hi all !

happytraveller

Hi all ! I have just joined this forum and I am hoping to get some information about the Camino Santiago
My husband and I are planning to do part of the Camino Santiago in August 2010. We'll have about 4 weeks time and I was wondering if anyone could suggest where we could start from (we'll have about 23 walking days planned and we want to finish in Santiago de compostela) and what I haven't found out yet is do you always find accomodation ? What do you do when the refuges are full ? Is it allowed to sleep outside at all ? Or won't we have problems with accom in August ?
I am looking forward reading through many posts here...
buen camino ! :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome to the forum!

2010 is a holy year, and august is the busiest month of the year mostly since this is the month that "all" of Spain takes vacation. I imagine that the albergues will be pretty full that month, but these things usually works themselves out. Have a look at this post for some comments from other pilgrims that have walked in August.
el-camino-frances/topic3543.html

Where to start is always a difficult question, since some walk faster than others, some are in good shape and some are in "medium" shape. Have a look at this blog for some ideas, this pilgrim started in Burgos (that might be an option for you are well):
post26902.html

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Are you planning on walking the Camino Frances? (There are about 15 other routes in Spain that you could walk - none as busy as the Frances.)
If you are planning on the Camino Frances, there are many different combinations you could consider. Most people find the first and last couple of weeks the most scenic so you could start at Roncesvalles or St Jean Pied de Port and walk the first 10 days or so, then get a bus/train along the route and walk the last section to Santiago.
A friend did the walk in September and this was the schedule I did for her.

1 St Jean - Orisson 10 km 10 km
2 Orisson - Roncesvalles 15 km 25km
3 Roncesvalles - Zubiri 21.8 km 21.8 km
4 Zubiri - Pamplona 20.5 km 42.3 km
5 Pamplona - Obanos 21.1 km 63.4 km
6 Obanos - Estella 24.4 km 87.8 km
7 Estella - Los Arcos 21 km 108.8 km
8 Los Arcos - Viana 18 km 126.8 km
9 Viana - Navarrete 22.1 km 148.9 km
10 Navarrete - Azofra 22 km 170.9 km
11 Azofra - Santo Domingo de la Calzada 15.1 km 186 km

12: Travelled from Santo Domingo to Leon by ALSA Bus (arrived early morning) Spent a few hours in Leon then got a bus to Astorga in the afternoon and started walking from there. (http://www.alsa.es)

13. Astorga - FoncebadĂłn 25.9 km 20:37
14. FoncebadĂłn - Ponferrada 27.2 km 53.1 km
15. Ponferrada - Villafranca del Bierzo 22.4 km 75.5 km
16. Villafranca del Bierzo - La Faba 23.7 km 99.2 km
17. La Faba - Triacastela 25.6 km 124.8 km
18. Triacastela - Sarria 24.6 km 149.4 km
19. Sarria - PortomarĂ­n 22.4 km 171.8 km
20. PortomarĂ­n - Palas de Rei 25 km 196.8 km
21. Palas de Rei - Ribadiso da Baixo 25.7 km 222.5 km
22. Ribadiso da Baixo - Pedrouzo (FR 300 m) 22.4 km 244.9 km
23. To Santiago 19.2 km 264.1 km

Being the busiest month of a Holy Year it might be better if you reserved beds ahead in the private albergues as much as possible. (See list attached).

I think it will magical to walk this Holy Year. You know, and accept, that it will be crowded but the vibe will be amazing!
Good luck with your plans!

Attachments

• Red Albergues.doc
    86 KB · Views: 5
The Camino Frances in August in a holy year! Yikes! Don't do it!-only joking (partly).I would suggest the via de la plata from the beautiful city of salamanca-just under 500 kms from SDC and you will also pass through Zamora and Puebla de Sanabria.

Hi!
Welcome to the forum!
I have walked the Camino Frances twice during August, but never during a Holy Year. If you do decide to do the Frances, be sure to plan to stay in the smaller albergues before and after the regular "etapas". Most people follow the daily "recommended' distance and stop in the larger cities and towns. If you elect to stay away from the "normal" finishing place for the day, you will be much more likely to have no trouble finding a bed.
For instance, stay before Burgos and walk in in the morning. Spend the time you want there and go on to the next small town just after. You'll be a little "out of synch" with the normal pilgrim rush and may just run into some of the most rewarding experiences of the Camino.
Buen Camino,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I am starting to plan my second Camino, focusing on Le Puy (although a little tempted to return to the Norte/Primitivo/Fisterre of my first Camino in Spring 2023... maybe next time!). I've...
My husband and I have just finished The Portugues da Costa. We were surprised to find that a number of pilgrims used apps. to find the shortest routes between A and B. This often meant they were...
Hello community, apologies if this has already been asked or if it is not relevant. I was thinking of doing a Camino (starting around end of November) and I am doing some research on which one...
Hello pilgrims, Buen Camino! My name is Tinway. I began our journey from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on April 12 this year. I met a lot of nice and kind people and some of them even became my...
Hello from Canada! I am interested in doing the full camino Frances in Fall 2025. I have done many bike trips in France on my own carrying my stuff on my bike but for the Camino I am looking to...
Good day to all fellow pilgrims past and present. This month holds something very dear to my family and friends of my brother who recently suddenly passed away. This month I’m not sure of the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.