• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Here

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024
Ciao Tutti,

I am new here and loving the support that some of you provide for those of us that know very little of the trail, the culture, the community on the Caminos. I am learning a ton and taking advantage of all your expertise. I need to understand how I can give back to you all.

My trail name is Early Warning, having hiked the AZT in the US in 2019 at the age of 28. Originally from USA, I currently live in Bologna, IT and looking at doing a Camino soon. On the AZT, the Camino was a legend for the ā€œplush beds every nightā€, ā€œyou donā€™t even need to carry a tent or water filterā€, ā€œif you want, you can enjoy a croissant every hourā€ and finally, ā€œthe fountain of wine where you fill your bottles with liters of wine for freeā€. When you are sleeping on cactus thorns at night, carrying 4+ liters of water and 5 days of food because you are in the desert, and only cross towns every 4 or 5 days, the Camino sounded like a godsend.

I currently have a SJPP to Santiago walk planned, but now I am most likely looking at a true Camino from my home in Bologna to Santiago (and Iā€™d like to add The End of The World but we will see if time allows). For me, Iā€™ll call this Camino the ā€œLa Passigiata Grassa.ā€ Coming from the city of fat (Bologna) and also because I need to lose some pounds after some health problems. I plan to hike with a frameless HMG Elevate 22L pack, base weight will be low (unsure exactly yet).

I have a total of 3 months off of work (originally moved to Bologna for work) but I also want to spend time with family back in the states after being gone for so long. I am trying to find the balance there. Additionally, Iā€™ve had significant back problems the past 4 years and this will be a test of if I can enjoy life status-quo or if I truly need some highly invasive surgeries. I am a bit worried about how the move from framed pack (weight on hips) to frameless will affect my back, ma vedremmo. I am hopeful here.

This is my story, but if you have any questions, please ask. In terms of how I can add to this community, I hike light (but comfortable). If anyone wants a gear review, Iā€™d be glad to give my two cents. I donā€™t feel comfortable giving this advice unless requested though, just because I believe (and know personally) you can hike heavy and have a great time. Some weekends, Iā€™ll still bring a cast iron skillet out to cook a great steak. This skillet will probably weigh more than my whole pack for my Camino. But itā€™s a conscious decision with a ton of personal benefits for me.

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Buen Camino. The Camino is certainly easier in many ways than the PCT, but I'm sure it will come with its own challenges, especially if you are planning to do it on a tight schedule and live for months out of a 22L pack.

One thing to be aware of is that the tradition of "trail names", which I understand is common on the long American through hikes, is pretty foreign to the Camino routes, so you may get strange looks if you introduce yourself as Early Warning on a Camino.

Ciao Tutti,

I am new here and loving the support that some of you provide for those of us that know very little of the trail, the culture, the community on the Caminos. I am learning a ton and taking advantage of all your expertise. I need to understand how I can give back to you all.

My trail name is Early Warning, having hiked the AZT in the US in 2019 at the age of 28. Originally from USA, I currently live in Bologna, IT and looking at doing a Camino soon. On the AZT, the Camino was a legend for the ā€œplush beds every nightā€, ā€œyou donā€™t even need to carry a tent or water filterā€, ā€œif you want, you can enjoy a croissant every hourā€ and finally, ā€œthe fountain of wine where you fill your bottles with liters of wine for freeā€. When you are sleeping on cactus thorns at night, carrying 4+ liters of water and 5 days of food because you are in the desert, and only cross towns every 4 or 5 days, the Camino sounded like a godsend.

I currently have a SJPP to Santiago walk planned, but now I am most likely looking at a true Camino from my home in Bologna to Santiago (and Iā€™d like to add The End of The World but we will see if time allows). For me, Iā€™ll call this Camino the ā€œLa Passigiata Grassa.ā€ Coming from the city of fat (Bologna) and also because I need to lose some pounds after some health problems. I plan to hike with a frameless HMG Elevate 22L pack, base weight will be low (unsure exactly yet).

I have a total of 3 months off of work (originally moved to Bologna for work) but I also want to spend time with family back in the states after being gone for so long. I am trying to find the balance there. Additionally, Iā€™ve had significant back problems the past 4 years and this will be a test of if I can enjoy life status-quo or if I truly need some highly invasive surgeries. I am a bit worried about how the move from framed pack (weight on hips) to frameless will affect my back, ma vedremmo. I am hopeful here.

This is my story, but if you have any questions, please ask. In terms of how I can add to this community, I hike light (but comfortable). If anyone wants a gear review, Iā€™d be glad to give my two cents. I donā€™t feel comfortable giving this advice unless requested though, just because I believe (and know personally) you can hike heavy and have a great time. Some weekends, Iā€™ll still bring a cast iron skillet out to cook a great steak. This skillet will probably weigh more than my whole pack for my Camino. But itā€™s a conscious decision with a ton of personal benefits for me.
Sounds like you know the score. You do not need to fill a bottle with wine. Neither do you need to carry a frying pan. You will make your own experience on both counts. And buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Better wine can be had for just a few euros more...

You could do a short Camino first to make sure it works for you. There's several to choose from or you could walk part of the Via Francigina in Italy. It's also a pilgrimage.

Last edited:
Arizona guy here. Itā€™s a wonderful vibe on the Camino, very positive group of people overall on my trek last year. Headed out shortly for the Portuguese via Variante Espiritual. Hiking poles helped my pelvis injury from the old university days. Use the search function here on the nuances of the stages.

For example some of the climbs/descents are especially tricky. The trails are stone from Cruz de Ferro to Molinaseca, or muddy (climb to O Cebriero) and mixed (Triacastela). Always wanted to thank the young Spanish guys who reminded me to be prepared for O Cebriero.

The local people are so supportive on the Camino. Pharmacists provide very good help as well - so many people had blisters (as well as other injuries) attended to by them. Farmers encourage you and bring out fruit for you all along The Way.

It will be the time of your life!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello all, Been reading all your very valuable posts and advice for a few weeks now in anticipation of starting tomorrow! Can only get a portion of FrancƩs done on this trip (probably as far as...
Hi Pilgrims! I am planning on starting the Camino Frances between Oct 10-13 and I was hoping to get input about a couple specifics: Ticket's are bought and I decided to start on the holiday -...
Hi all, Maybe some can give some advice/helping words for me to actually be able to go do it. I am feeling the need to walk the frances (i originally planned and wanted to do the primitivo for...
Hi everyone - so glad to find this forum. have 4 weeks approx and intend on taking the walk handy enough!! to Santiago, onwards to Finisterre and Muxia. looking forward to it, and meeting some...
I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong group. Feel free to move my post. I have walked 7 caminos, always in Spain (well, max 50k in France), the country I love. At the end of october/start of...
September 19, @FallCamino2024, (SJPdP) āœ…

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.