Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need to find a place to stay Porto or outside of Porto

SusieP

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions.

Hubby is thinking we should stay outside of Porto. I could use a good nights rest. Where is somewhere not too expensive and a good nights rest? Hoping under 60eu.

We looked for accommodations in and around Porto and almost everything we looked at is sold out or only has one bed. Even with all the apps, I can’t seem to find where to stay.

We are planners and did not book anything in advance except the travel to get here. Honestly, we’ve already had blunders from exhaustion and jet lag that cost time and money. My husband has encouraged me saying we will make mistakes and that’s how we will figure it out.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Unless you want to spend time in Porto you should be able to walk to Matosinhos. It's only about 11 km, and it's a very nice walk along the Douro River, then along the ocean. If you arrive at Sao Bento train station you are very close to Se Cathedral, and the start of the Camino. Don't worry too much about following the arrows - just get down to the river and head west.
I have a soft spot for Casa Rietsch, but there are other options in Matosinhos.

As it's the weekend, places may be more expensive.

Unless you want to spend time in Porto you should be able to walk to Matosinhos. It's only about 11 km, and it's a very nice walk along the Douro River, then along the ocean. If you arrive at Sao Bento train station you are very close to Se Cathedral, and the start of the Camino. Don't worry too much about following the arrows - just get down to the river and head west.
I have a soft spot for Casa Rietsch, but there are other options in Matosinhos.

As it's the weekend, places may be more expensive.
THANK YOU. We booked there for the night. A little pricey since we have about 19 more days, but we want to get going and have a nice place. I SO appreciate you responding!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
THANK YOU. We booked there for the night. A little pricey since we have about 19 more days, but we want to get going and have a nice place. I SO appreciate you responding!
The owner (I can't remember his first name) may remember me. I stayed solo in 2019 in what I call the Princess Room (kind of a fluke thing), then again in 2022 with my husband when I had to have surgery in a nearby hospital for a broken wrist. (actually my husband spent the night of my surgery there, then both of us the second night) Tell him Terri from Oregon (interestingly, my booking.com review is on the Casa Rietsch website, but my country is misidentified as Slovakia) recommended the place. He offers a nice breakfast, and has a stamp for pilgrims.

Thats sensible advice .

We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions.

Hubby is thinking we should stay outside of Porto. I could use a good nights rest. Where is somewhere not too expensive and a good nights rest? Hoping under 60eu.

We looked for accommodations in and around Porto and almost everything we looked at is sold out or only has one bed. Even with all the apps, I can’t seem to find where to stay.

We are planners and did not book anything in advance except the travel to get here. Honestly, we’ve already had blunders from exhaustion and jet lag that cost time and money. My husband has encouraged me saying we will make mistakes and that’s how we will figure it out.
You may want to think about booking a day or two ahead on the Portugese route. This week there have been scattered reports of people scrambling to get a bed on arrival.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
You may want to think about booking a day or two ahead on the Portugese route. This week there have been scattered reports of people scrambling to get a bed on arrival.
I think you’re correct. Sadly, we are scrambling to figure out which way to go. I think we’ll stay in Labruge

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I appreciate your help! ♥️ We were looking at Vila Do Conde, but we walked anywhere from 12-15 miles yesterday. We need a short travel day since we haven’t rebounded from the 20 hr flight.
That sounds fine since you need a rest. Are you switching over to the Central route after that? You should be able to walk from Labruge to Rates the following day. (about 26 km) Or take it easy again and walk to Vila do Conde. It depends on how many days you have to reach Santiago. Be kind to yourself.

That sounds fine since you need a rest. Are you switching over to the Central route after that? You should be able to walk from Labruge to Rates the following day. (about 26 km) Or take it easy again and walk to Vila do Conde. It depends on how many days you have to reach Santiago. Be kind to yourself.
Today and tomorrow were supposed to be short days. We just talked and thought we found a great place in Vila do Conde. So, we were going to push it. Was almost at the credit card screen to book the room when it said on google it was temporarily closed. We tried calling and the phone is disconnected. There is nothing available in Labruge. We would like to be back to Porto or Lisbon by Sept 30. That gives us 2 days of rest before flying home. I am going to speak with our current host to see if he can help. 😁🙏

Last edited:
Can you get transport to Valenca then walk across the bridge to Tui in Spain. Continue from there in easy stages.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions. Hubby is thinking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back