Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need a place to stay.

Marche

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

My wife needs a place to stay. This isn't the usual advice on spousal accommodation. I wouldn't ordinarily go to this forum but we are having problems finding places that aren't overpriced tourist traps and are also not prilgrim style. This forum has been incredibly helpful to me in planning my pilgrimage. I am hoping you can also help in planning hers.

She is an accomplished visual artist in her 60's who has decided to go to northern Spain 'cause I got her interested. In the past she has gone to a locale, sketched and photographed for a week or two and then moved on to another. She then uses her collected materials for final paintings at home. If you want, it could be called an artists pilgrimage.

A couple of years ago I decided to do the Camino and I finally leave for SJPDP near the end of September. She'll be going a few weeks later and we want to meet briefly in Burgos and then SdC. The thing is, where should she be stopping along the way? She doesn't walk and she isn't interested in a completed credenticial. The immediate goal is reasonably priced accommodation in visually interesting landscape, preferably rural. Specific suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Marche

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
Your wife will be spoilt for choice! So much lovely scenery it's almost impossible to choose..
Between Estella and Los Arcos is Monjardin, to me just a beautiful place. There is a Casa rural there but I'm afraid I don't have details. Maybe someone else knows it?
Buen camino,
Helen

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
Marche,

Here is a GREAT casa rurale possibility, El Molino del Camino, in Vilviestre de Muño, near Hornillos del Camino which is west of Burgos on the Meseta. The scenery is splendid. See http://molino.castrojeriz.tel/ This is a handsome and most comfortable bed and breakfast with good food in a renovated water mill. If you telephone they will pick you up on the Camino and bring you back to the same spot next morning. I happily stayed there in February 2009 when the Hornillos albergue was closed for badly needed basic renovation.

Margaret Meredith

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The most visually powerful place in my experience of the camino was at Finisterre where the land meets the sea.

Its a vacation place and my impression was that in season there are lots of accomodation choices.

Margaret and Whari... These are the kinds of suggestions we were hoping to hear about, thank-you. Let me know if you can think of others.

Marche :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
fortview said:
Your wife will be spoilt for choice! So much lovely scenery it's almost impossible to choose..
Between Estella and Los Arcos is Monjardin, to me just a beautiful place. There is a Casa rural there but I'm afraid I don't have details. Maybe someone else knows it?
Buen camino,
Helen

Helen,

The village to which you refer between Estella and Los Arcos is not Monjardin but Villamayor de Monjardín. Here is the casa rural in Villamayor de Monjardín >> http://www.casaruralmontedeio.com/ This looks like a good suggestion; I have never stayed in this casa but often enviously walked past on route to the nearby pilgrim albergue.

MM

Thank you Margaret for coming up with the name of that Casa rural. It certainly is a breathtakingly beautiful area. We stayed in the albergue there which had amazing views. :D

The view.

Attachments

• 2012-09-11 14.08.11.jpg
    2012-09-11 14.08.11.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 594
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Helen and Margaret,

Thank-you for the Casa Rural suggestion. It looks beautiful. But frankly, 280 Euro for a weekend franky is excessive. Sorry

Marche

Hola

I recall reading about an artist residency along the way and found this thread:
el-camino-frances/topic12007.html

Quote:
The mayor and town council in Carrion de los Condes have established an artist in residence program in this city. Qualified applicants can receive 2 weeks to 1 month's lodging in the village if they provide something to the community and the Camino. The program is open to musicians, painters, sculptors, composers and writers.

Carrion de los Condes is located at the half way point along the French Camino. Those interested can apply by contacting me at: Parachodelnorte@gmail.com

Thank you,

Federico Sheppard
Unquote

Maybe this could be useful, and if so, plase let us know how it was.
When I walked the Frances I was considering applying, but didn't have the time to do so.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Most read last week in this forum

I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...
Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I searched the forum and only saw threads about Portugal. I was googling for info about the fires, and Google Maps showed one in Spain. No idea how...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food
Hi, We walked the Camino de Santiago for the first time in May & June this year, and absolutely loved it. We plan on walking the first week again in October (with a view to going back later next...
I heard it mentioned that rather than walking through the industrial section of Leon it was possible to take a bus out of the city....but where to?
Hi do any of my pergrino friends have an Amazon watch charger with them I could use to charge my watch up in burgos on the 20th of september.buen camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back