• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My perfect ultralight sleep setup

Anhalter

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2019 CF, 2022 CF, 2024 Primitivo
Hey everyone,

i guess I'm not good at starting threads, but rather comment. I guess my last "own" thread is the one a couple of years ago where i talked about my 3,6kg loadout for the Camino Frances (see signature).

Today i felt like opening a new one, since 2 Caminos after my last thread i solved a problem that bugged my since Camino #1... the perfect sleep setup.

TL;DR: Bergstop Microstretch liner + something warm (blanket, sleeping bag...). Google it, it's great.

Disclaimer: Nobody paid me to write this. I bought every item with my own money. What i write is my personal opinion, your milage may vary. Also english is not my first language.

So, a little history:

My first camino was 2019. I had no idea how i could get below that magic 10% mark. A couple of weeks into my research, i stumbled across an ultralight forum. I set out on my first camino with a backpack of 4,6kg (which is pretty close to 5%...).
Not everything worked perfectly. I sent home stuff about 600g. My insulation system did not work as i had intended it to. But overall, it worked reaaallllly well. Like when we arrived into town, i was having so much energy left compared to the other guys carrying twice as much, it felt a little scary. I remember well, when i arrived in Santiago the first time, one, of many, of my thoughts was: "this was to easy".
But, aside from insulation, a big issue i had was my ultralight sleeping bag. I think its discontinued now, but it was the Sea2Summit Spark 0. Something along the lines of 250g, high class down, not meant to sleep outdoors. VERY narrow. 1/3 zipper.
My main issue was, that when i went to bed, my body continued to generate heat. No idea if this is normal, but it is for me after a long day. Then sometime in the night, it stops to do so. First on the upper body, then later the feet.
That meant, falling asleep, i was way to warm. I tried using my sleeping bag as a blanket. Due to the 1/3 zipper it did not work well. Sometime in the night i crawled into the bag. Was still to hot at the feet.
In Ponferrada, like 3/4 of my Camino finished, i bought a silk liner at Decathlon. That worked better. I fell asleep in the liner, later used the bag as a blanket. Still, felt cold the second half of the night. Still to warm on the feet. But it was an improvement.
However, the liner was far from comfortable. Coming in at around 100g, there was nothing on it. Very narrow. No flexibility. I remember ripping some seam a few nights in.

Fast forward, Camino #2 was in 2022. I had all of Covid to do research. I found the Cumulus Magic Zip sleeping bag. At 240g it featured a full zipper and can be opened like a blanket. Not very warm, but warmer than a liner. Having become a bit of a zealot regarding "ultralight" at the time (i set out wit 3,6kg in my pack), it seemed like the perfect item.
And it was. Almost.
If it was warm in the albergue, i used it like a blanket. If it was cold, i used it like a sleeping bag. I remember one night, in Tosantos, sleeping on the matress on the floor with single digits outside, where it could have been warmer. But it was not so bad and i could have put on more clothes...
But to the "almost" part.... while it provided me with a good variety of warmt, it was not comfortable. The fabric... i can't really describe it properly, was so thin that the slightest bit of sweat in the night made it stick to my skin. That it is also quite narrow did not help that...
Not to sound negative, i was not unhappy with it. But i also was not perfectly happy with it. Say, 90% happy. And I am a bit of an perfectionist with my gear.

Come Camino #3. Which was "only" the Primitivo. Someone on said ultralight forum recommended this "Bergstop Microstretch Liner" to me. First, i have to say, i was skeptical. It came in almost as heavy as my sleeping bag. Which i found ridiculous for a liner. But since it was only a short Camino i decided to give it a try. I set out with a pack of 4kg.
After night one i liked it. After night two i loved it. Again, i am not getting paid to say this. It is like a hybrid of Liner and PJs. It is stretchy. It has pockets. It has arms. It has this cord at the bottom where you can just pull it up to go to the bathroom in the night.
It does not provide a lot of warmth, but then, i had my down sleeping bag/blanket with me for that. It also folds into its own pocket, but i never used that. Oh, and also a hood. No idea if that has any functional benefit, but it made me feel more comfortable some nights.

So, to come to some form of end, i can fully recommend this product. I'll link a youtube vid at the bottom from the manufacturer that might better explain the item than i can (@mods: feel free to delete this if i am breaking some rule with it). If you mix it with a down sleeping bag or a down blanket (i read that's popular for the US folks) or just use the albergues blankets with it (which i dont like) ... up to you.

So, to sum things up, after three caminos, i found what i feel is the perfect sleep setup for me. And it is less than 500g. And i felt like sharing it. I am 180cm, around 82kg and use the S/M version that is 229g according to my scale.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I see they also have a silk version which is lighter (and more pricey)

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Yeah, I thought it looked very "medieval monk" -ish, too. Not a drawback.
I also like the perky music in the video.
The product looks intriguing. How warm was it for you? I'm looking at a fall/early winter Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And you don't have to sleep in tomorrow's clothing -- more than enough coverage for midnight bathroom runs.

I borrowed this liner from my son when I walked the Via Podiensis with two friends. I loved it because it was stretchy and I could still sleep with my leg pulled up to my chest even though it was a mummy style bag. This is the same liner, but improved with that awesome drawstring at the bottom that the OP's video shows, which is great for a late night potty break🙂, or walking to the bathroom stall to get dressed in the morning for some privacy. Comes in several colors.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I used a single, light weight duvet cover. It was lightweight, I could climb in and had lots of room to move around. It was off the bed in our spare room and it’s back there now. For some the Camino is the only time they’ll need any of this equipment so keep in mind the things you may allready own. Buen Camino!!

I hate sleeping in the next day's clothing and am always trying to figure out what to bring to sleep in? After 4 Caminos I still don't have that completely figured out. Could one just sleep in this without clothing?

I used a similar set up with a sea to summit liner that is like a t shirt material. It’s super cosy and has some fantastic design features. It was a bag when I bought it but realised on the first try out that I needed the bottom of it open so I cut it open across the end and sewed a hem that I threaded a length of ribbon. This was great in two ways and I could keep my feet out and cool and early got to the toilet dressed in my liner, held up around my knees. Also it left me the option to close it up to be a bag at the feet.
I also had a sea to summit sleeping bag ( traveler 2) that is like a cloud. After Burgos I figured I could do with my liner , so I shipped the sleeping bag to Santiago. I missed it a bit but managed to keep warm with my liner and using my fleece as a blanket.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I hate sleeping in the next day's clothing and am always trying to figure out what to bring to sleep in? After 4 Caminos I still don't have that completely figured out. Could one just sleep in this without clothing?
Yes, that's what it looks like to me.

What I do, btw, is bring a very light and inexpensive swing dress to wear in the afternoon after showering and then to sleep in. https://a.co/d/7oyNHpo

My rectangle sleeping bag is 830gr. but I love the material inside of it. Not sure I would want to give it up for something lighter. I often just use it as a blanket, with it unzipped all the way.
For sleeping, I wear a sleeveless, knee-length, light nightgown that weighs all of 125gr.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Could one just sleep in this without clothing?

Yes, that's what it looks like to me.

While i slept in my boxers and shirt inside the liner i would dare to say that it is sufficiently "not see through" to go commando with it. I would also say that you could dress or undress in it quite easily.

While i slept in my boxers and shirt inside the liner i would dare to say that it is sufficiently "not see through" to go commando with it. I would also say that you could dress or undress in it quite easily.
I would think if you slept in it commando, you would need to wash it regularly. My preference would be to wear the t-shirt and underwear combination underneath, especially as I only do hand laundry on Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Interesting. I'm impressed by the weight you carried. What kind of bag did u use?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
An interesting alternative to my current sleeping bag (610g), I’ll be walking again in October and I’m wondering if there is a thermal rating for this product?

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.