• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino Route

angmsmith

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024
I know that I appreciated others’ who shared their itineraries when I was in my planning stages so I thought I would do the same.

• Day 1- Porto to Matosihnos. I was in Porto for a few days before, so I took a taxi back to my hotel that first night. Then I took a taxi to Matosihnos to start day 2.

• Day 2- Matosihnos to Póvoa Varzim - I stayed at Junquiera 16. It was fine. Pretty basic, but in retrospect it was a good first experience with an albergue

• Day 3- Póvoa Varzim to Esposende - stayed at Sea Soul. It was fine- definitely overpriced, and felt impersonal. Also in a weird part of town.

• Day 4- Esposende to Viana do Castello - this was one of my hardest days, it was so hot. Then walking into Viana was so urban it was a shock to the system. And of course, I had booked the hostel next to the cathedral, so climbed up to the very top. It was worth it - amazing views, a bar at the top to get a drink with other pilgrims.

• Day 5- Viana do Castello to Caminha - I stayed at Bom Camihno. The beds were just ok (almost like they were built with pvc pipes, and no privacy curtain), and the bathroom/shower situation was awkward. But definitely book the pilgrim dinner. The chef makes a wonderful meal, with wine, and it was great to connect with other pilgrims over a meal.

• Day 6- Caminha to Oia - probably my favourite stop. Stayed at Casa Puertas, which was exceptional. The breakfast is an extra charge, but worth it. For dinner, I suggest getting wine and food and enjoying it in their secret yard, and watch the sunset.

• Day 7- Oia to Baiona - I stayed at Estelo do Mar. It was fine- pretty basic, but clean. (Make sure to have contact info for the owner while you’re there - the door lock is tricky and I was locked out for a bit after hours)

• Day 8- Baiona to Vigo - stayed at the Gran Nagari hotel

• Day 9- rest day in Vigo (and a massage!)

• Day 10- Vigo to Redondela - I realized that I could have gone further this day. It was a faster and easier day than expected, so I likely would push on a bit more next time. I stayed at Albergue Redondela Avoa. It was good - clean and safe. But it was a lot of people crammed into the space, and then they brought in cots to fit 3 more people, so definitely crowded. Not enough bathroom/shower for everyone

• Day 11- Redondela to Pontevedra - stayed at Hostel Charino. It was lovely and comfortable, but felt a bit disorganized. Breakfast in the morning was included, and made by the owners mother. (Also free washer/dryer use!)

• Day 12- Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis - stayed at GBC Hostel, and it was the worst. Dirty, moldy and dated. The staff could not have cared less or been more unhelpful. There’s an up charge for everything, including use of a towel. I paid for the pool, washer, and breakfast. I ended up not using the pool because it was pretty nasty. The washer closed at 6:30 pm, so I couldn’t even use it. And breakfast was warm juice and stale bread left out for us overnight. I couldn’t leave fast enough the next morning

• Day 13- Caldas de Reis to Escravitude - I couldn’t find a place to stay, so I took a cab back to an Airbnb in Padron for the night.

• Day 14- Escravitude to Santiago

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Well, I have some health issues and no room at the inn issues. My leg flaring up has really caused a problem. My husband and I are in Vila do Conde looking for a nice place to sleep tomorrow. I...
I’m looking for recommendations for camino memoirs specific to the Portuguese camino. Ideally, the coastal route but I’ll take what I can find. I read a plethora of memoirs from the French route...
Here is my photo video from the Camino Portugues, costal route. We chose almost every opportunity to go Litoral - right out on the coastline. Only the day between Esposende and Viana do Castelo we...
Walking Litoral from Porto beginning 25 Oct. Will places to stay be open? Thanks!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back