• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camera -and our love/hate relationship

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Oct 2024
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in at about 500g. Main issues are how best to carry while on trail so it’s readily accessible to actually use- and then managing it off trail- especially sleeping and securing in albergues - and it’s just slightly too big for most smaller waist/crossbody bags and I don’t love the shoulder clip set up that a lot of other hikers use. So - take or not to take? I have iphone and lenses that I can take as compromise but afraid I’ll miss my camera - at least some - just curious what other photographers have done and how it worked out - so any advice/ thoughts would be welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How will you secure your camera? Will you carry it around with you after you reach the albergue? I would just go with the phone since it is easier to carry around, however, I am not a photographer and my photos are just for me to look at later.

Hi- amateur photographer here (who misspells things in post titles when not wearing glasses!!) and doing my first Camino starting next week (Francis from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in at about 500g. Main issues are how best to carry while on trail so it’s readily accessible to actually use- and then managing it off trail- especially sleeping and securing in albergues - and it’s just slightly too big for most smaller waist/crossbody bags and I don’t love the shoulder clip set up that a lot of other hikers use. So - take or not to take? I have iphone and lenses that I can take as compromise but afraid I’ll miss my camera - at least some - just curious what other photographers have done and how it worked out - so any advice/ thoughts would be welcome.
In the past I've used a camera pouch on a belt if I only take one lens on a trip or walk.
1726306156678.png
But after a while I found it a bit cumbersome so I bought another smaller camera for trips where I want a camera that does everything I need and that sits in my pocket.
I bought a Canon SX740HS. Great little camera and takes up no room or weight.
I hope this helps in some small way.
Good luck.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Take a quality compact that fits in your pocket. I’ve dropped lots of cameras. Every time it was taking them out of their case. Cartier Bresson used a 35 mm Leica, no extra lenses, and take the best photos of the 20th century with it. It’s you that takes the pictures, not the camera.

Hi- amateur photographer here (who misspells things in post titles when not wearing glasses!!) and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in at about 500g. Main issues are how best to carry while on trail so it’s readily accessible to actually use- and then managing it off trail- especially sleeping and securing in albergues - and it’s just slightly too big for most smaller waist/crossbody bags and I don’t love the shoulder clip set up that a lot of other hikers use. So - take or not to take? I have iphone and lenses that I can take as compromise but afraid I’ll miss my camera - at least some - just curious what other photographers have done and how it worked out - so any advice/ thoughts would be welcome.
I’m currently on the Camino Frances and I have the Canon M50 with me. I have it clipped to a front strap on my back pack and it’s been fine and not annoying! To be fair, it’s quite small so I can easily store it in my backpack when I get to the albergues. I’ve never had any safety issues so far. Personally I’m so glad I brought it, there are amazing views to capture ESPECIALLY from SJPP to Roncesvalles!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Hi- amateur photographer here (who misspells things in post titles when not wearing glasses!!) and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in at about 500g. Main issues are how best to carry while on trail so it’s readily accessible to actually use- and then managing it off trail- especially sleeping and securing in albergues - and it’s just slightly too big for most smaller waist/crossbody bags and I don’t love the shoulder clip set up that a lot of other hikers use. So - take or not to take? I have iphone and lenses that I can take as compromise but afraid I’ll miss my camera - at least some - just curious what other photographers have done and how it worked out - so any advice/ thoughts would be welcome.
Nikon Z50 is the perfect little travel camera. I took mine in 2022 for the entire Frances. I recently returned from my second Camino where I took a Nikon Z9 with 24-70mm lens and a couple of primes. No regrets, now I have amazing images to remember the trips by.

You can get a quick release clip for your pack, or my preference was a strap and have it around my neck, although I found I had it in my hand 80% of the time, as I walked.

Nikon Z50 is the perfect little travel camera. I took mine in 2022 for the entire Frances. I recently returned from my second Camino where I took a Nikon Z9 with 24-70mm lens and a couple of primes. No regrets, now I have amazing images to remember the trips by.

You can get a quick release clip for your pack, or my preference was a strap and have it around my neck, although I found I had it in my hand 80% of the time, as I walked.
What lens/lenses did you use with the Z50. That’s what I was planning to take ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm very happy with my Osmo Pocket v.1 takes excellent pictures from a non-professional photographer. They're up to version 3 now which I think is just called the pocket 3 made by DJI which is a major manufacturer of drones. So they've taken a drone camera and mounted it on the handheld basically a small stick that can fit in your pocket hence the name. I have not used version 3 but I'm very happy with the one I have.

Bartman

I am currently on the Norte with a Z6ii, 28-70 lens and use the peak design clip to the front of my pack so it is accessible at all times. I also have their strap and hand strap attached - to cover all possible situations

Personally I am not a fan of changing lenses whilst walking - additional lenses weigh and you invariably get dust on the sensor . Why I only take a multiple purpose lens.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, take your camera! In my opinion an absolute must.
I took a Nikon D7000 with Nikon 18-200mm lens. I carried it in a small camera case which had a loop on the back. I threaded my backpack waist belt through the loop and thus the camera was always ready for action.
For security I slept with it in my sleeping bag!
Do take your camera, the Camino is a unique experience and your pictures will give you a life time of memories.
Ps: make sure you keep looking behind you you in the morning, you will capture some great sun rises!
Buen Camino!

You mentioned you have an iPhone as a potential compromise. I use an iPhone Pro and, honestly, I cannot rationalize bringing a camera along as well. Although I do love my cameras, I can get amazing quality pictures with the iPhone. Yes, there are some things I can't do with it and other things that I need to trick it into doing to get what I want, but on the whole it's still very good. I just upgraded to the 16, should be delivered any day now, can't wait!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Making photos has always been a big part of my discovery when in a new place. I find that just by carrying a camera and thinking about photos, I see the place in greater detail. I walked most of the Chemin du Puy last year and carried a Pentax MX, a small film SLR from the early 80s. I took an 85mm f/2 lens and a 28, but I could have done the whole trip with just the 85. That focal length matches well how I see things. I shot 14 rolls of B/W film in about 7 weeks of walking. I clipped a carabiner to a backpack strap and looped the camera strap through that. Worked well for me.

I don't think I saw anybody using other than a cell phone for photos. I used my cheap google phone for color photos and for blogging. The gîtes in France are a little different from how I understand the albergues in Spain to be. I didn't call attention to my camera, but it isn't particularly valuable either. It stayed in my pack overnight.

Making photos has always been a big part of my discovery when in a new place. I find that just by carrying a camera and thinking about photos, I see the place in greater detail. I walked most of the Chemin du Puy last year and carried a Pentax MX, a small film SLR from the early 80s. I took an 85mm f/2 lens and a 28, but I could have done the whole trip with just the 85. That focal length matches well how I see things. I shot 14 rolls of B/W film in about 7 weeks of walking. I clipped a carabiner to a backpack strap and looped the camera strap through that. Worked well for me.

I don't think I saw anybody using other than a cell phone for photos. I used my cheap google phone for color photos and for blogging. The gîtes in France are a little different from how I understand the albergues in Spain to be. I didn't call attention to my camera, but it isn't particularly valuable either. It stayed in my pack overnight.
The MX is a lovely little camera. It's the camera I had as a teenager, until it was stolen. I bought another a couple of years ago for a trip down memory lane.

Interesting about 85mm being your preferred focal length. I think I'd have been using the 28mm. Years ago I just used 50mm, because that's what I had, and was perfectly happy. I do wonder if using a smart phone to take photos has altered my way of seeing the world.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Don’t take it-

Take it and enjoy your hobby,passion,memory touchstone.

A bit of wisdom.
Scrub every bit of brand identifier on every piece of equipment you will carry.

Thieves and lowlifes dont have to know models, just names,branding or general shapes.
Paint over branding...write down serial numbers of what you take..1. It will help the cops id in case it ends up in a pawn shop
2. It will help you in any dispute of ownership
3.insure.

A very many here are not photographers and are blind to why someone would take one..the "my phone takes equally as good picture"

Well...it absolutly does not.
My S23 Ultra takes up to 200 mp photos and 8k videos
High end ..highest end.
Social media nerfs photos to fit the page
IG,FB whoever..so it looks good enough for biff and buffys poodle on the beach in playa di mar
But try anything to expand and poof
All gone.
But ime.preaching to the choir here.

Its weight in your pack,no one elses
my batteries last about 4-5k shots each
Take enough or a charger

Phones will never ever take the place of a proper camera.
Now that ive stirred the pot have a great day!

Thank you!! Im pretty settled on taking it.
Take it and enjoy your hobby,passion,memory touchstone.

A bit of wisdom.
Scrub every bit of brand identifier on every piece of equipment you will carry.

Thieves and lowlifes dont have to know models, just names,branding or general shapes.
Paint over branding...write down serial numbers of what you take..1. It will help the cops id in case it ends up in a pawn shop
2. It will help you in any dispute of ownership
3.insure.

A very many here are not photographers and are blind to why someone would take one..the "my phone takes equally as good picture"

Well...it absolutly does not.
My S23 Ultra takes up to 200 mp photos and 8k videos
High end ..highest end.
Social media nerfs photos to fit the page
IG,FB whoever..so it looks good enough for biff and buffys poodle on the beach in playa di mar
But try anything to expand and poof
All gone.
But ime.preaching to the choir here.

Its weight in your pack,no one elses
my batteries last about 4-5k shots each
Take enough or a charger

Phones will never ever take the place of a proper camera.
Now that ive stirred the pot have a great day!
I appreciate the wisdom! 🙏🏻

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
I'm looking to buy a sleeping bag for my next Camino, but since I'm only 1.5m tall (5 feet), I’d prefer not to go with a standard-sized one. I don't want to feel like I’m swimming in it, and the...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.