• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Modifying a backpack

Time of past OR future Camino
August-September 2024
I have the Osprey Hikelite 26 with the trampoline back and piddly hip strap (I wouldn't call it a belt). My torso is just over 15" and it's too long for me. I've tried on dozens of packs, talked with numerous experts at REI, and test driven six different packs. Due to my body proportions (I think), nothing is working quite right. I leave soon for my first Camino and would like to try to make this pack work. It helps when I stuff bandannas on top of my shoulders to meet the arm/shoulder straps. Any other ideas on working creatively to have a shorter torso fit a pack? The bandannas get smooched down and help less over time.

I also have the REI Flash 22, but there is zero frame. I'm thinking of putting stiff foam in it for support, because the straps are more comfy for me. No trampoline though and *very* hot. I just enjoy how super light it is.

For the record, at this point for a variety of thought-out reasons, I'm planning on using one of these as a day pack and have extra weight transported for me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My husband has the opposite problem ... but he also has problems with one shoulder, so he has got car seat belt cushioning pads that wrap around the shoulder strap and fasten at the front with velcro. One of them, cut in half, might work for you and not get squished down quite as quickly?

My first thought was the Osprey Tempest in the XS/S size but assuming you have tried those, as well as any line in junior packs made for growing kids. Good luck!

My husband has the opposite problem ... but he also has problems with one shoulder, so he has got car seat belt cushioning pads that wrap around the shoulder strap and fasten at the front with velcro. One of them, cut in half, might work for you and not get squished down quite as quickly?

My first thought was the Osprey Tempest in the XS/S size but assuming you have tried those, as well as any line in junior packs made for growing kids. Good luck!
Nice idea. I'll go to an auto shop and see what I find. I did try the Tempest, but a 30+ L one when I was still trying to carry on gear myself. I'll see if REI has any smaller ones in stock to try.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having walked all my 3 caminos with frameless packs i am inclined to say that this is not the worst option...
But if you insist on a frame, aren't there also adjustable options? I think that when i was in the market for one of those a couple of brands advertised their packs as being really adjustable in regards of back lenght. But might be this was only the bigger packs.

I see your problem but do you need the shoulder straps cinched down tight?
Correctly fitted all the weight - All the weight! - should be taken by the hip belt so the shoulder straps are only to stop it bouncing around - leaving a finger or two finger gap between shoulders and the straps is correctly fitted.
If mountain climbing or fell running one wants the pack to 'become one' with the body, but not for strolling along a track.

When doing first aid I have had many with shoulder problems, all from mistakenly cinching it all down tight with over half the pack weight on the shoulders ..

Just a thought - sorry if it doesn't help.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I have the Osprey Hikelite 26 with the trampoline back and piddly hip strap (I wouldn't call it a belt). My torso is just over 15" and it's too long for me. I've tried on dozens of packs, talked with numerous experts at REI, and test driven six different packs. Due to my body proportions (I think), nothing is working quite right. I leave soon for my first Camino and would like to try to make this pack work. It helps when I stuff bandannas on top of my shoulders to meet the arm/shoulder straps. Any other ideas on working creatively to have a shorter torso fit a pack? The bandannas get smooched down and help less over time.
Since you prefer the trampoline back on the Hikelite (same reason I've held onto my Exos), let's work with that.

These might work for you:
Garage Grown Gear is a US specialty shop for lots of cottage producers of outdoor gear. A very reliable outfit, I've personally found.

If you are having your luggage transported, you should have very little weight in your day pack, so I think any daypack will be OK. At that weight shoulder straps shouldn’t hurt your shoulders.

I walked with a very light, unframed, packable Sea to Summit 20 litre pack (60g) with no waist strap and no shoulder padding - and it was fine.

I also have the REI Flash 22, but there is zero frame. I'm thinking of putting stiff foam in it for support, because the straps are more comfy for me. No trampoline though and *very* hot. I just enjoy how super light it is.

For the record, at this point for a variety of thought-out reasons, I'm planning on using one of these as a day pack and have extra weight transported for me.
I used the Patagonia 8 L Atom shoulder bag as a day bag and LOVED it. It is a little small once I started stripping off layers as the day heated up (in April) but it also has 2 exterior bands that you can use to secure extra clothing with. I loved it

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hoping your quest for the right pack is successful.

If your needs have not yet been fulfilled, you might have a look at the Kelty Trekker 65. It is an external frame pack with an excellent waist belt and trampoline back. It provides for just about every fitment adjustment that one could imagine: vertical, horizontal, laterally symmetrical, laterally asymmetrical, length of frame, etc. It comes, or used to come, in two sizes. Bit bigger than what most pilgrims use but there is no need to fill it up.

It is of robust construction, and after having adjusted the numerous fitments to suit my offset spine, I find it completely comfortable.

I have used it on 5 long Iberian foot pilgrimages and hope to do so again.

Having walked all my 3 caminos with frameless packs i am inclined to say that this is not the worst option...
But if you insist on a frame, aren't there also adjustable options? I think that when i was in the market for one of those a couple of brands advertised their packs as being really adjustable in regards of back lenght. But might be this was only the bigger packs.
I haven't ruled out frameless. I'm just noticing that the weight is sitting on my low back right now and I have a myriad of spine and SI concerns to be careful with. I'm still experimenting with using stuff sacks to alter where the weight goes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I see your problem but do you need the shoulder straps cinched down tight?
Correctly fitted all the weight - All the weight! - should be taken by the hip belt so the shoulder straps are only to stop it bouncing around - leaving a finger or two finger gap between shoulders and the straps is correctly fitted.
If mountain climbing or fell running one wants the pack to 'become one' with the body, but not for strolling along a track.

When doing first aid I have had many with shoulder problems, all from mistakenly cinching it all down tight with over half the pack weight on the shoulders ..

Just a thought - sorry if it doesn't help.
Thanks, @David . Agreed. I loved the loose feeling on my shoulders at first, but the back of the pack is too far away and the straps swayed enough side-to-side that after 2 hours I had an indentation on my skin close to my neck. If my spine was straight, I'd be ~4" taller; so my neck and shoulders are wider for my torso length... that's my guess.

Since you prefer the trampoline back on the Hikelite (same reason I've held onto my Exos), let's work with that.

These might work for you:
Garage Grown Gear is a US specialty shop for lots of cottage producers of outdoor gear. A very reliable outfit, I've personally found.
Oooo, nice! I'll take a look at these. Thanks!

I used the Patagonia 8 L Atom shoulder bag as a day bag and LOVED it. It is a little small once I started stripping off layers as the day heated up (in April) but it also has 2 exterior bands that you can use to secure extra clothing with. I loved it
Interesting. Thanks. I would have thought the lack of symmetry would be a problem. My spine is already so asymmetrical, I tend to notice that more than perhaps some.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Interesting. Thanks. I would have thought the lack of symmetry would be a problem. My spine is already so asymmetrical, I tend to notice that more than perhaps some.

Further to my earlier comment suggesting the Kelty Trekker 65, I myself have scoliosis with a crooked spine. In pre-Camino years I used to go on backcountry backpacking trips using internal frame packs, of which I have several. They all persisted in hanging off to one side of me, always to the same side, and always very noticeable and uncomfortable. The fit looked and felt weird.

The multiplicity of fitment adjustments provided by the Kelty Trekker 65 solved this problem for me. By moving the upper ends of both shoulder straps a hole or two to one side (both in same sideways direction), and making a few other adjustments, I established a good comfortable fit with the pack reliably staying vertical all day in spite of my curvy crooked spine. Of course, consistent with David's advice in post #6 above, I keep essentially all the weight on the Trekker hip belt with the upper front stabilizer straps just slightly snug to damp out wobbles.

Just some thoughts.

BTW I paid full retail price for my new Trekker 65 and the full asking price of the three used ones I subsequently purchased on eBay (they are spares which I have not used yet; the original one shows no signs of wear). I'm not a paid promoter of Kelty or anything else.

Last edited:
I haven't ruled out frameless. I'm just noticing that the weight is sitting on my low back right now and I have a myriad of spine and SI concerns to be careful with. I'm still experimenting with using stuff sacks to alter where the weight goes.

Ah, without seeing a photo of you wearing the pack it does sound like your hip belt is much too high, if the weight is on your low back it sounds as if it is hanging off your shoulders, causing problems to your spine -
- could I suggest you really work on cinching the hip belt so that it takes all the pack weight, as it is designed to do. Middle line of the hip belt runs along the top of the pelvic bone, no higher.
Having all the weight on the pelvic bone, the hips, shouldn't affect the spine in any way.

Though if you do still have a problem .. you are having your stuff transported? So travelling light? .. have you thought of forgetting having a rucksack and going for a shoulder bag? Such as this one, specifically made for Camino by a Camino veteran.

Last edited:

I am shocked that REI could not fit you properly. In Canada we have MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop) and both my wife and I were measured and fitted with Gregory backpacks. Both packs had adjustable torso length and one had (my wife's) adjustable torso and hip belt. Both packs were comfortable for our Camino Frances from SJPDP and no issues.

The Gregory packs had full adjustable harness in smaller Camino suitable packs in the 32 to 45 liter ranges

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I did try the Tempest, but a 30+ L one when I was still trying to carry on gear myself.
Are you aware that at least some of the Osprey packs are adjustable for torso length? It might not be obvious to you how to do this, so ask at REI. For example, I use the Talon 33 S/M - the S/M means that it is adjustable from small to medium torso length.

If a 30 L pack fits you best, use it for your day pack even if you do not fill it.

I agree with @David that the shoulder straps should not be tight down on your shoulders at the top. Again, some help from a professional would be useful to learn how various adjustments work. (And don't assume that all sales people are equal. By asking some informed questions, you can better tell if they are knowledgeable.)

Hard to say sight unseen but I would only comment as per @David

That when adjusted all the weight should be on the hip belt. Like 100%.

On my pack, the shoulder straps actually sit above my shoulders a bit!
I could slip a hand under the shoulder straps.
The only purpose my shoulder straps (and sternum strap) really serves, is to stop the pack falling away from my back....

I've used that pack for the last 9 years on Camino and it fits great, feels great and has never been a problem.
It also has a trampoline back (Osprey)
My wife uses the smaller version of mine.

Try a different merchant. Often smaller establishments can provide better, knowledgeable service. They might not have an extensive selection but they have what works. They don't need an liberal exchange policy because they get it right the first rime.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

Have you looked at Gregory Packs? Even some of their day packs have adjustable torsos. And the waist belts are designed to carry weight.

Have you looked at Gregory Packs? Even some of their day packs have adjustable torsos. And the waist belts are designed to carry weight.
I have. I've looked at everything REI had that wasn't over 40 L or under 15 L, and order several online as well.
The history of my body and why I think I'm having such challenges are leading me to modify the Osprey Hikelite 26 and have a small extra bag transferred for me. The folks at REI (for the most part) have been lovely and surprised when nothing works but wish me well in my quest.
I guess part of my Camino is thinking outside the box and treating my body with acceptance and compassion :)
Either way, many thanks for your suggestion. It may very well be just what another reader might need 🎒

Ah, without seeing a photo of you wearing the pack it does sound like your hip belt is much too high, if the weight is on your low back it sounds as if it is hanging off your shoulders, causing problems to your spine -
- could I suggest you really work on cinching the hip belt so that it takes all the pack weight, as it is designed to do. Middle line of the hip belt runs along the top of the pelvic bone, no higher.
Having all the weight on the pelvic bone, the hips, shouldn't affect the spine in any way.

Though if you do still have a problem .. you are having your stuff transported? So travelling light? .. have you thought of forgetting having a rucksack and going for a shoulder bag? Such as this one, specifically made for Camino by a Camino veteran.

Have you used the Shell Seeker sling bag? It looks really nice, but all of the “easy open” features make me think “easy to be pickpocketed”. Does it seem secure to you? Having once had my wallet stolen from my zipped crossbody bag (NOT while on Camino), I now look for features such as zipped pockets inside the main zipped areas, and I then “triple secure” the bag by clipping the main zipper with a mini carabiner to the bag strap, etc.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I have. I've looked at everything REI had that wasn't over 40 L or under 15 L, and order several online as well.
The history of my body and why I think I'm having such challenges are leading me to modify the Osprey Hikelite 26 and have a small extra bag transferred for me. The folks at REI (for the most part) have been lovely and surprised when nothing works but wish me well in my quest.
I guess part of my Camino is thinking outside the box and treating my body with acceptance and compassion :)
Either way, many thanks for your suggestion. It may very well be just what another reader might need 🎒
I had the opposite problem this spring- 23 inch torso (35 inch arms) and ended up getting an Osprey Atmos AG 65, removing the brain and having a custom cover added for rain protection. It was probably about 55 liters in the end. Worked like a charm by using the compression straps to keep the weight close to my center of gravity. I think it acted more like a 40 liter pack that way. Carried about 17lb of weight, well below 10% given I started training for the Camino at 245 pounds. You might be able to have a suitcase repair shop or industrial tailor raise and beef up the hip belt to fit your torso better. If you try it, I would test out the theory by just clipping a test belt to the hard frame and figuring out where the correct balance point is. If you keep the pack weight a little higher up by packing that way, might get the balance you are looking for. I am a big believer in customizing gear to really fit the user. And you clearly tried a huge range of packs attempting to find an off the shelf product. Good luck with your investigations!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.